Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #46
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Everything that is Overrated (Breaking Bad and Marvel Studios)

he's not calling breaking bad fans morons, he's just saying it doesn't stand up to the more groundbreaking tv dramas of our era; the wire, sopranos, mad men definitely qualifies, game of thrones as well i'd say, maybe a couple others

the genius of breaking bad, the reason i keep tuning in anyway, is twofold; a) its fantastic take on the classic case of midlife crisis (insecure hs chemistry teacher --> hypermacho murderous druglord) and b) the realism of the problem solving in every other episode. you can really buy every idea that pops into walt's head as coming from an overqualified hs chemistry teacher, even shit like the train robbery seemed sorta kinda feasible

that along with the fact that its a super fast paced drama about two inexperienced partners completely in over their heads facing mortal danger every other episode keeps me on the edge of my seat

compared to those other shows though, it just doesn't have the same vision. it doesn't depict a universal human condition across a wide array of characters the way the wire or sopranos does, nor does it capture in vivid detail an epoch in time like mad men or got. boardwalk empire probably belongs in that category as well.

those shows excel because like breaking bad they offer the sort of personal journey breaking bad excels at with walt and jesse, allowing the audience to really root for or against characters in a relatable way... but at the same time they're constantly zooming out, broadening the scope to portray more complex human ecosystems and symbiotic relationships, human motives and values and culture. breaking bad has tidbits of that but its generally shallow, with fewer layers; institutional structures of hank's dea world, competition between meth traffickers, even the business of money laundering, distribution through that crazy brunette with the kid.... not very much meat on those bones by comparison. imo anyway

and all of that is more likely a product of a conceptual difference in what each drama is trying to achieve. bb is more akin to dexter than the wire in spite of the fact that they share a drug-centric theme. that's because it's telling a story about an individual rather than a more substantial commentary on some community, whether contemporary like the wire, historical like mad men, fantastical like got, etc

Last edited by RidonKs : 12-04-2012 at 12:57 PM.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #47
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Money 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin
Money 23, do you admit that it's just your opinion that BB is not a good show
Stating that would be utterly redundant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin
and that the opinion of others who enjoy it are just as worthy...or do you think people who enjoy BB are stupid/not worthy of having an opinion?
I wouldn't have made the thread if I didn't want to hear my fellow ISH'ers opinions.

Read what Ridonks wrote. I'm not saying anyone is an idiot for liking the show, I'm explaining why I feel it doesn't meet the hype. No need for people to be so defensive. I understand people enjoy the show. Like I said, my FRIENDS begged me to get into it.

I will go more in depth as to why I have issues with the show, and why I feel people who elevate it to the ELITE tv show / character pieces / crime dramas status like: The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood are vastly OVERRATING the material at hand.

With that said, I'm not saying there isn't moments of the show that I enjoyed. But it really is few and far between. The writing relied on gimmicky hooks, character inconsistencies, contrivances, and overly convenient connections between characters as it relates to the plot.

For those saying season 4 is great, etc. So far, it's better. But it is NOT the mark of a GREAT show, where I have to wait over 3 seasons just for it to find it's niche and groove in order to become quality entertainment.

Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #48
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

season 4 is great because it marks the end of walt's self-doubt... he finally makes his choice, stops straddling the family/business fence, cuts the double talk crap with skylar. it becomes much easier to appreciate the character even as you gradually start to hate his guts.

good call on deadwood, forgot about it but it def belongs right at the top of the list
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #49
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

In and Out Burger

we got them here in Dallas, and they were supposed to be the greatest burgers ever...according to Cali peeps anyway

NOT

EVEN

CLOSE

we have some burger spots here in Dallas that would make you bust a nut Cali
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #50
bigdaddyfunk
I hit open layups

bigdaddyfunk is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Everything is up to personal taste. You can call it "overrated," somebody else will call it "underrated."

Stuff like this isn't up for debate - it is simply a matter of what people like. It's like debating rapper A and rapper B. Even if rapper B has no bars, some people will still like rapper B over rapper A and call rapper A overrated.
bigdaddyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #51
bigdaddyfunk
I hit open layups

bigdaddyfunk is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
In and Out Burger

we got them here in Dallas, and they were supposed to be the greatest burgers ever...according to Cali peeps anyway

NOT

EVEN

CLOSE

Once again, personal taste lol. In-N-Out is good, but there are tons of better burger places in Cali. It's just the most wide spread fast food burger in Cali.
bigdaddyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #52
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i'm a huge marvel fan and i thought iron man 2 sucked
rezznor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #53
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyfunk
Everything is up to personal taste. You can call it "overrated," somebody else will call it "underrated."

Stuff like this isn't up for debate - it is simply a matter of what people like. It's like debating rapper A and rapper B. Even if rapper B has no bars, some people will still like rapper B over rapper A and call rapper A overrated.
no, to be "overrated" you have to be rated high...you can't just throw that word at anything and everything

for example, it is impossible to call Vanilla Ice overrated as a rapper...because there is nobody that rates him high as rapper.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #54
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Nick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
In and Out Burger

NOT

EVEN

CLOSE

u gotta order from the secret menu nicca
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #55
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
In and Out Burger

NOT

EVEN

CLOSE

I've been saying this for years on this very forum. The advantage that In and Out has is that it's still relatively cheap for some really good food. But from a pure taste stand point it's not the best chain, it doesn't even sniff the best chain.

To the OP's point, that's fine if you don't like BB, I don't either, but I can appreciate the acting in it. It is well acted.

But it's all personal opinion. I would argue that Marvel Studios has been the better studio by a mile compared to DC's studios.

I think that Batman is general has been overrated since he became the new Chuck Norris. I think Superman is the single most overrated character probably ever. I think Alan Moore is overrated. And we can argue about it, but it's personal opinion.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #56
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Joshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation here

How I Met your Mother.

I don't mind watching it. I just think it's overrated as hell.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #57
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money 23
No it wasn't. The character starts off as a regressed version of the improvement at the end of the first film. Which in itself makes no sense.

Well, the movie was on yesterday, so I can better do this. I don't even know what you're getting at here. That's Tony Stark, I don't see how he really regressed. He's a flawed character, time did pass between movies, and he's, you know, dying. What doesn't make sense?

Quote:
Stark has a ridiculous fight in an armored suit v.s. his friend. Who happens to be able to steal and use a suit without an prior experience (it took Stark a whole act to master it in the first film and he built the damn thing) ... how he uses the suit I have no idea. It was built for Tony, and can only be powered by the ARC REACTOR in his chest.

They're best friends, he's someone he can trust, he's a high ranking member of the air force, and you can see that he has the passcode to access the room where the armors are, so why do you assume he's never used one of the suits? Besides, he just threw punches and wrestled around with Tony, so it's not like he would need a lot of experience to do that anyways. Why do you say the suits can only be powered by the ARC REACTOR in Tony's chest? It's quite obvious that they were also built into the suits.

Quote:
the love story is rushed

They worked together for a long time and had a close relationship. It's not like they just met and fell in love.

Quote:
We get a pointless Scarlett Johansen character, who brings nothing to the table apart from meaningless action scene and a connection tot he Avengers.

She was evaluating Tony and keeping an eye on him. S.H.I.E.L.D. obviously had an interest in him.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #58
monkeypox
National High School Star

monkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this board

A person can make themselves hate just about anything.

The only show that I ended up liking after wanting to hate is The Wire. Aside from that you can find flaws in just about anything and blow them up enough to hate a show.
monkeypox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #59
Dolphin
werewolfdolphin

Dolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money 23
Stating that would be utterly redundant.

Stating an opinion and actually believing one's opinion is just that, an opinion, are not one in the same. lol

I posted out of curiosity, not defensiveness...so I don't understand why your response to me became highly defensive in itself.
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #60
sick_brah07
National High School Star

sick_brah07 has decent reputationsick_brah07 has decent reputation

honestly the most over rated thing ever has to be sex

you spend so much time waiting for it thinking omfg then you bang and bang bang and then the shit is like *** who gives a *** its just sex and you blow shit sometimes just having a wank with a grouse porno is the bomb
sick_brah07 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: