Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: No More Homework!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
I don't think a "signficant portion" should be eliminated, but reformed so it isn't just busy work. Repetition even if tedious is important for learning.

That's just useless inference. Repetition of taught material is fundamental to learning and understanding.

Habits are hard to break(especially habits that last for a decade), and new habits are hard to produce. Elimination of homework is irresponsible. Looking at the exceptions of motivated students that may be able to produce good study habits to justify the elimination of a fundamental and elementary aspect of education is misguided.

Nerd
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
I don't think a "signficant portion" should be eliminated, but reformed so it isn't just busy work. Repetition even if tedious is important for learning.
I agree that repetition is beneficial, but how much is too much? At what point does it become overkill? Is there such a thing as too much? After 8 hours of school, do first graders require more school-mandated repetition every evening at home? And would that repetition be the most beneficial use of a youngster's spare time outside of school?

Quote:
That's just useless inference. Repetition of taught material is fundamental to learning and understanding.
Surely so. My question would be why this repetition cannot occur within an eight hour school day. Certain forms of studying will always be necessary in my opinion, but endless streams of homework and work sheets, notsomuch. And I understand that may be why you mentioned reform as opposed to outright reduction or removal. I just do not believe two additional school-at-home hours should be regularly slapped onto the eight already spent.

Quote:
Habits are hard to break(especially habits that last for a decade), and new habits are hard to produce. Elimination of homework is irresponsible. Looking at the exceptions of motivated students that may be able to produce good study habits to justify the elimination of a fundamental and elementary aspect of education is misguided.
In your opinion, what are the positive effects of homework? You mentioned preparing a student for organic chemistry classes in college. Beyond that, what do you believe homework prepares students for? Do you believe there are any adverse effects of homework? If so, please elaborate.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
Math2
Local High School Star

Math2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMath2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
As a young teacher, I think it's a great idea. Well, let me take that back, I think there's merit to the idea of eliminating a very, very significant amount of the homework traditionally given to pre-college students. I think there's a time and place for doing work from home, I just don't think it should be anywhere close to being as often as it is now in the United States.

To me, it seems illogical to reduce elementary recess time, lengthen the school day so students begin their trek around 6:30 and likely don't arrive home until near 4pm, throw on additional homework that may often take an hour or more of time, then wonder why youngsters these days are so fat and depressed. I personally believe "preparing" students for the next level or their education (or future job) by merely giving them a lot of work to do at home, is vastly overrated and flawed. What I think will prepare people for doing work from home when they get a job? Doing work from home when they get a job.

One of the most refreshing things I've read thus far in this young week was a piece on the Finnish school system, which is apparently thriving. Again, to be clear, I don't necessarily think everything they do is perfect, but have a look for yourself to see how they differ from us (Americans):

http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/22311/53/

Stupid idea, if not just because of the bullshit explanation for it....

French schools actually work different than here in the US. There tends to be a 2 hour period for lunch, and they don't get out until 5, 5:30. On Wednesdays and Saturdays they have a half day, and no school on Sunday. So it's not as if they will really have too much trouble doing all that work. There are basically no school sponsored programs after school too.
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #19
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Not sure about this one..

Most brains learn by repetition and it's not until you truly study something do you understand it. If homework were reduced to say 1-2 hours a night at best, that's a different story, then again not sure how much is given out these days.

The core skills, such as math, english, history and science should probably be the only subjects to be given homework and even then you dont need a lot.
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #20
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I agree that repetition is beneficial, but how much is too much? At what point does it become overkill? Is there such a thing as too much? After 8 hours of school, do first graders require more school-mandated repetition every evening at home? And would that repetition be the most beneficial use of a youngster's spare time outside of school?
You're only looking at one aspect of the problem. The time consuming part. That does not have to be solved by eliminating homework altogether. Yes it requires repetition, even for first graders. My friend is an education major and she says that the common rule of thumb is 10 min * grade level through elementary school. 10 min of homework to get down the ABC's or arithmetic is not that time consuming. The ABC's and counting numbers(don't remember what you learn in first grade) is integral for later education and needs repetition.
Quote:
Surely so. My question would be why this repetition cannot occur within an eight hour school day. Certain forms of studying will always be necessary in my opinion, but endless streams of homework and work sheets, notsomuch. And I understand that may be why you mentioned reform as opposed to outright reduction or removal. I just do not believe two additional school-at-home hours should be regularly slapped onto the eight already spent.
Repetition is done in elementary school as I remember, but not as much in high school because the complexity and amount of material increases. If poorly constructed, time consuming busy work is assigned, then the problem is not the concept of homework, but the quality.
Quote:
In your opinion, what are the positive effects of homework? You mentioned preparing a student for organic chemistry classes in college. Beyond that, what do you believe homework prepares students for? Do you believe there are any adverse effects of homework? If so, please elaborate.
Homework teaches character to suck it up and do something that isn't fun, proper time management, and most importantly, reinforcing the material that was taught that day through repetition.
I took four ap classes my senior year and the workload wasn't too much. It was nothing compared to my third and fourth year in college with a major in biochem. So far in med school, it has been nothing but tedious memorization and it's terrible, but my choice of taking heavy workloads has served me well in giving me the necessary habits and work ethic to memorize all this shit right now.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: