Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #31
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Eating on $4 a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Here's a link to his blog documenting his meals

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/a...ails-rr-rmpost

By reading his Day 2 blog you can see he's already regretting the choices he's made, he didn't really invest in anything that would last him longer than a week at a time like rice or oatmeal.

Look brother, this whole thing is obviously a political advertisement and none of it is real.

The diary, the sudden realizations he's going to post in his diary, the conclusions he's going to make based on this experience. The entire thing is a fabricated, premeditated sham to sell his political message.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #32
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I guess the misery is an issue of how much joy you derive from eating. I came up with next to nothing. and my people would never the type to ask for hand outs or food stamps. just got by. I was way past grown before I really even noticed how little we had when I was a kid.

didn't seem especially bad at the time
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #33
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat cool

A six pack of Ramen is like $2. Buy some pasta sauce and you're good to go for a few days
konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #34
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
he is regretting nothing. it is a carefully planned publicity stunt. Story Booker does this crap all the time.
I know its a publicity stunt, but I thought it'd be interesting to follow how he goes about it anyway
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #35
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i remember when i was broke back in the day and burger king was within walking distance. whoppers were only a $1, so clutch.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #36
tpols
5-time NBA All-Star

tpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by konex
A six pack of Ramen is like $2. Buy some pasta sauce and you're good to go for a few days
Ramen has like 300 cals so that only 1800 cals..

I could never live off 4 dollars a day but then again I probably eat over 3k cals a day and try to enjoy my food because thats what keeps me eating. I cant do rice and beans all day, no satisfaction.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #37
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Why are people talking about how they can totally do it like its not an issue. Of course you CAN do it, but in America you shouldn't have to, not on a regular basis anyway. This is a country of great excess; people have two cars, vacation houses and CEOs get million dollar bonuses when they LOSE jobs, yet we're wondering why so many are doing a bad job at eating off of four dollars a day.

We like to spew bs about the US being better than other countries, yet expect our citizens to believe it while living at the same standards as the poor in some of the poorer countries.

What i'd like to see are statistics on how many food stamp recipients are taking care of children or live in a home where they have to feed more than just themselves.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #38
tpols
5-time NBA All-Star

tpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
Why are people talking about how they can totally do it like its not an issue. Of course you CAN do it, but in America you shouldn't have to, not on a regular basis anyway. This is a country of great excess; people have two cars, vacation houses and CEOs get million dollar bonuses when they LOSE jobs, yet we're wondering why so many are doing a bad job at eating off of four dollars a day.

We like to spew bs about the US being better than other countries, yet expect our citizens to believe it while living at the same standards as the poor in some of the poorer countries.

What i'd like to see are statistics on how many food stamp recipients are taking care of children or live in a home where they have to feed more than just themselves.
people in real poverty probably live off 4 cents a day.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #39
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputation

Yea it's totally possible to eat within a budget while keeping it healthy. I wouldn't necessarily say I could do it for $4 a day, that's taking it to the extreme. Ever since living off campus, I've been really planning my meals more carefully, keeping it as cheap as possible. I've learned to have a high protein, carb, veggie & grain diet for around $30 something a week.

Here's something I get for an average week, keep in mind this is sans milk and eggs, but I do buy them sometimes as well, since my friends/roommates and I take turns.
  • A Bag of Rice - not instant, from the Chinese Grocery Store, I was able to get one whole bag for around 20 bucks, lasts at least 3 months
  • 1lb bag of dry red beans(Substitute for Canned Black or Red Beans if you wish)
  • loaf of bread
  • peanut butter
  • honey
  • chicken
  • 1lb of ground beef
  • spaghetti/pasta of your choice
  • spaghetti sauce/or any other pasta sauce of your choice
  • can of chili beans
  • can of chili tomatoes
  • can of bamboo shoots
  • Bag of Frozen Vegetables
  • green bell pepper
  • onion (not peeled)
  • a jar of oatmeal (brown sugar to make it yummy)
  • oranges, apples or any fruit of your choice
  • couple pack of ramens(Get the ones from chinese grocery store)
With all of this you can make, breakfast: oatmeal, Scrambled eggs, Omelettes oranges, lunch: beans & rice, PB & honey sandwich, ramen, and dinner: stir fry, chili, spaghetti and sauce. I usually have OatMeal with brown sugar and cinnamon for breakfast, ramen or sandwiches or a salad if I got lettuce, for lunch. For Dinner I either go with Spaghetti, Chicken Stir Fry, Red Beans and Rice, or Chilli. Sometimes even Chilli with Rice.

Get nutmeg, cinnamon, garlic salt, & regular salt for the red beans and rice. Buy in bulk and cook in bulk. By cooking in bulk, I'll usually have enough for the next day. In between meals, I snack on fruit, PBJs/honey, and Ramen.

Sure, I hear my tummy growl about once a day, but that's the college student life and knowing my other foods have plenty of protein and carbs to keep me energetic, I usually don't remember I'm all that hungry.

If I ever want snack foods (not gonna lie), I'll take some from my roommates. Or even more simply, ask family to bring me a couple bag of chips or something when they come in town. Not many moms and grandmas will say no to that.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #40
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You can make some great things with Quinoa. 1/2-1 cup of quinoa (1 cup of water per 1/2 cup of quinoa) and a teaspoon of knorr chicken flavor, cook on high until it boils, then put it on low for about 5-10 minutes, and you have yourself an excellent side dish that is healthier than rice. I even eat it by itself. Don't need the knorr chicken flavoring either, quinoa is good by itself and can go with anything and taste good with most seasonings, even sweetening it.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #41
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence

Cowboy Thunder has not been impressing people

People on food stamps drive Navigators on 24s and have 50" flat screens.

They are always eating steak and shrimp and shit.

Pisses me off.
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: