Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
therammingman
National High School Star

Default how do you bring yourself to start a project you continue to put off?

i have a project to start - for myself - and I keep putting it off.....and time is starting to become a real factor. I am having a hard time to get motivated and start (also, this is NOT something fun or anything I want to do).
therammingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Is He Ill
Cowboys & Spurs

Default Re: how do you bring yourself to start a project you continue to put off?

You just have to dive in. Don't think about it, just do it.
Is He Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Default Re: how do you bring yourself to start a project you continue to put off?

you should go to the bar and have some drinks and spend time thinking about how you are going to start this thing...

see where that goes
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
red1
Dinosaurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
you should go to the bar and have some drinks and spend time thinking about how you are going to start this thing...

see where that goes
red1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
SevereUpInHere
Utryin2getthepipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-

see where that goes

Seriously tho, depending on what it is, turn off your laptop, shut off your internet and get rid of any other distractions and get to f*cking work! Distractions are the main thing that will make you procrastinate.
SevereUpInHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
bagelred
Weird

sounds like a big project. so break it up into smaller parts and obtainable goals. so it won't seem so overwhelming.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Riddler
D-94

Hang this up on your wall.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is He Ill
You just have to dive in. Don't think about it, just do it.

This. It seems that OP has gone past the point of game-planning and strategizing and now he must just go in guns blazing. It's not a bad tactic as well as that helps me with my projects, papers and assignments. Once you start and force yourself through the first 10 minutes or so you'll begin to get in the mood too.

OP make your self a nice cup of coffee, listen to some relaxing music and get the shit done.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

Yep I am a professional procrastinator. The only consistent way I can start a project is to shut my brain off and dive in. Don't think about it, just make your body go through the motions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
OP make your self a nice cup of coffee, listen to some relaxing music and get the shit done.

don't do that. then you will say "i will make one more coffee" "i'll start after this song" just get aggressive and start.

i also find coffee bad because it over stimulates me and i just get more distracted by the outside world. just put paintbrush to canvas, pen to paper, hammer to nail or whatever it is you are doing.

Last edited by miller-time : 12-04-2012 at 09:28 PM.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Just close all distractions, including internet, tv, etc. Sit down with the project outline or whatever and just start doing what you can. Make ideas on how you can do things you are stuck on, etc. Really the key is to shut off any possibility of distraction.

Of course I say all this while I have 5 final exams during the next week or so and here I am on ISH.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
nathanjizzle
life is exasperating

smoke a blunt. turn off the computer and turn on some music
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
BuGzBuNNy

Don't start it thinking how long it's going to take, just start to start..knowing that you can stop literally 20 seconds afterwards
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
irondarts

Just start it. Even if you just do a little bit at first, starting it will make you feel better.

With me, I am always nervous before starting a project or a presentation, but once I just start making it, I feel better, even if it just a few slides on a powerpoint, just starting it a little bit get's me motivated and it's a lot easier to finish it up.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #14
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

This book is fantastic and there's a whole cult of folks online using this methods.

One suggestion he has for anything is write down the next physical thing you need to do to complete the action.

For example your vacation list shouldn't have
Plan vacation as an action item. It's more useful to have something get number of the travel agency.

Another useful thing is context. If you read this note late in the day, you might not be able to do major work on the project, but you might be able knock off all the little things you know you are going to have to do anyway. So focus on that.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
bmulls
Great college starter

This is a trick I learned a long time ago.

Work on it for 5 minutes. If after 5 minutes you don't want to work on it any more, you can quit. You will not want to quit. Getting started is the entire battle.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: