Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #31
HorryIsMyMVP
Good college starter

HorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputation
Default Re: Problem with Kobe is not his offense, it's his defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doranku
Why is Kobe the one being called out for this? Pau and Dwight (yes, Dwight) have been horrible on defense too.

The difference? Kobe isn't playing like a scared b!tch like Pau and he's not missing 40 FTs a game like Dwight. Yet here we are talking about Kobe because of f@ggots like the OP out there who act as if Kobe killed their families in front of them.

SMH.
This is my argument about Kobe he just needs to settle down and play with less of an ego. He needs to let the game come to him and stop forcing things. He hasn't played defense for a long time now so that isn't a surprise. But offensively he still thinks he needs to take 30 shots a game. He has been efficient but not as efficient as the team could be if they played good team basketball.
HorryIsMyMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #32
senelcoolidge
Great college starter

senelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong waysenelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Kobe hasn't been a good defender in a few years now. Now that his team stinks he's been exposed.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #33
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Tulip

I'm the one being reasonable... you're the biased moron with a Kobe avatar who keeps refreshing this topic and wrote half of this thread

... do you know what you sound like?

Yes...

- I sound like a crazed Kobe stan......why?

because I said Kobe doesn't play horrible defense...in fact, He still plays top shelf defense...and I actually tried to show why I think like that.

unlike some.

- I know I'm just a biased Kobe stan....arguing with kids about dum stuff.

I can't help it....I'm an addict

deal wit it

next

(sarcasm turned off)

Last edited by AlphaWolf24 : 12-05-2012 at 05:10 PM.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #34
fpliii
sick of agendas...

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacattack33
Those numbers are not hard to argue against at all.

All they account for is how the opposing team's SG plays in terms of stats.

What those stats don't show are what happens on rotation, or a pick and roll, or any time that the defense is not guarding exactly the opposite person in the box score (which happens about every other play in the NBA).

Those stats are very basic. They aren't done by some people watching the game who note down who Kobe guards on each play. They just take the opposite player in the box score, and take his stats, regardless of whether Kobe was actually guarding him or not.

Furthermore, PER involves a players defensive stats and their defensive rebounding stats...how does that have anything to do with Kobe's defense?

mysynergysports.com has that info with breakdowns for a bunch of categories for guys he's guarding play by play...I'm on my phone right now though, so I can't access the site
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #35
kuniva_dAMiGhTy
The First School

kuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
This is my argument about Kobe he just needs to settle down and play with less of an ego. He needs to let the game come to him and stop forcing things. He hasn't played defense for a long time now so that isn't a surprise. But offensively he still thinks he needs to take 30 shots a game. He has been efficient but not as efficient as the team could be if they played good team basketball.

How he played the first 10-12 games of the season...was great. Kobe took what the defense gave him, was patient, and facilitated.

Now he's playing too frantic. Chucking up shots and shit. Kome ball basically.
kuniva_dAMiGhTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #36
Vertical-24
Hollywood

Vertical-24 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
I agree.
Kobe has been lazy defensively.
Problem is, we're asking him to play 36-40 minutes a night; be our facilitator and our go-to-scorer, and then ask a guy in his 17th season to also spend a lot of his energy defensively?

That's one of the biggest reasons I love the Nash trade; Kobe can concentrate more defensively because he'll preserve more energy offensively with Nash being the primary ball handler.

But yeah, his defense has been terrible all year.

Completely agree

His defense has been extremely lazy this year, and that's something any reasonable Laker fan can admit. But I believe it has A LOT more to do with conserving energy than anything else. He's doing A HELL OF A LOT for this Lakers team, and he;s in his 17th season where he shouldn't have to take such a load. I think Nash coming back will ease some of that pressure, but he's an old-man now and I fear he'll have another injury.
Vertical-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #37
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

NumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected poster

InB4 Kobe gets 1st team all-defense
NumberSix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #38
Vertical-24
Hollywood

Vertical-24 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
InB4 Kobe gets 1st team all-defense

LMFAO that would be NBA Trolling at its finest. Too bad it won't happen...they've wised up
Vertical-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #39
HorryIsMyMVP
Good college starter

HorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
How he played the first 10-12 games of the season...was great. Kobe took what the defense gave him, was patient, and facilitated.

Now he's playing too frantic. Chucking up shots and shit. Kome ball basically.
Yeah it sucks. I was really enjoying watching him play and how he was playing. He is like a drug abuser who relapsed. It just sucks.
HorryIsMyMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #40
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical-24
LMFAO that would be NBA Trolling at its finest. Too bad it won't happen...they've wised up

(bookmarked)
Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #41
And 1
I airball my layups

And 1 has an OK reputation so far

In my opinion, age AND laziness play a factor in Kobe's unwillingness to play consistent, hard on-ball defense.

But here's the problem.

We all know Kobe Bryant needs to play less hero-ball. Kobe puts it on himself by constantly taking control the ball, stopping the offensive flow, and iso-ing for hero ball. This is what takes the majority of his offense.

As someone previously stated, with Nash on the court, he can be the facilitator while Kobe flows along with the play (hopefully) with less wear-and-tear on his body.

This will conserve energy for some defensive play. Will he adapt to a mindset that constantly pushes him to play acceptable defense? Probably not, but at least he's giving himself the opportunity to.
And 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #42
DatAsh
Local High School Star

DatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
Kobe's defense isn't what it once was ( wich was arguably the best perimeter defender in the L)..but he is still a top shelf defender.

This just simply isn't true. Coming from someone who thinks Kobe is playing great this season(easily the third best player so far), Kobe's defense has been atrocious this season.
DatAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #43
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatAsh
This just simply isn't true. Coming from someone who thinks Kobe is playing great this season(easily the third best player so far), Kobe's defense has been atrocious this season.

based n what?

- I watched all the games....and his good defensive stats suggest he is playing very good defense.

so again... ask what ae you baseing your opinion on?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #44
DatAsh
Local High School Star

DatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
based n what?

- I watched all the games....and his good defensive stats suggest he is playing very good defense.

so again... ask what ae you baseing your opinion on?

Watching the games. I've seen every every game up until now, and that's what I'm basing my opinion on.

I actually think he's played great so far(unlike many of his teammates), my only gripe has been with his defense. He's just not playing it. He completely sags off his man no matter the situation, hardly bothers to fight around screens, doesn't rotate when he should, and often times lets his man blow right by him without so much as moving his feet.

He's clearly the best player on the team, and he's playing some of the best offensive ball of his career, but that doesn't blind me from the fact that he needs to step it up defensively.

The only Laker who's played above league average defensively so far is Dwight Howard, but even he's played below his usual standards.
DatAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #45
caliman
Serious playground baller

caliman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatAsh

I don't see how anyone can argue with that. He doesn't even have to be a bulldog on defense if his goal is to conserve energy. He can half ass it for all I care, but at least ATTEMPT to play some defense. There are some plays where he's just completely off in his space as his man gets another open jumper. No way should a slug like Afflalo score 30 if Kobe is even halfway interested in playing defense.
caliman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: