Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
andremiller07
#Dre Day in Sac Town

Default Sacramento Kings mid-season Player Grades

With 41 games done the Kings are sitting at (16-25), while I am a bit disapointed in that record I really think we could have been (19-22) had a few things fallen our way and not blown a few games as well.

Aaron Brooks (D+): At the start of the season I thought great we got AB a explosive scorer and shot maker, but since his return to the NBA hes looked a shell of his former self and for a number of reasons including, unstable playing time, poor playmaking/defense and just not jelling with a team with already poor chemistry (lost starting job to Thomas) has not worked out. Hopefully we can get a deal packing him before the deadline.

DeMarcus Cousins (C+) His last 15 or so games have been at a A- grade but his first 25 or so were way to up and down and hes still not playing up to his full potential. Still taking to many jumpers instead of attacking the rim and posting up more often to draw fouls (shooting close to 80% from the line). While hes been a major factor in the majority of the Kings wins hes also hurt the team badly but being suspended for 5 games, ejected in two and benched in two for the entire 2nd half. Lately has really shown off his passing ability and seems to be fitting in great with everyone.

Tyreke Evans (B) While you look at the stats and they are not the best when Evans has been healthy hes been actually pretty darn good, hes played in 24 games (really in about 20 since in about 4 hes played less than 10ins) due to a knee injury. He has provided great defense and his jumper has improved slowly and hes one of the leaders in assists on the team. His injury is one of the biggest reasons why we have only won 16 games since hes the best shot creator we have on the guard/wing spots.

Jimmer Fredette (C-)Has had plenty of nice moments put falls into the same area as Brooks, inconsistant mins, being played in the wrong line up where hes ethier the first or 2nd option has hurt him badly. His playmaking and defense are questionable but he can do one thing well and that one thing we need badly and that shooting. Hes showed hes fairly clutch by iceing games with his amazing free throw shooting (90%). I think even tho he lacks a lot of tools he can be real effective in the right line up.

Chuck Hayes C: In limited mins has provide exactly what we thought great defense,passing and the odd half hook, his mins vary badly but is always ready to play and is a great team guy but I think he would be better served on a playoff team and we would benefit more from a shot blocker since we have none.

James Johnson (C), if JJ could ever get even a Tony Allen level jumper he would help us in many ways. Hes a big SF with good slashing ability and a unselfish player. But hes been so woeful and hesistant to shoot outside of maybe 4 games that he lost his starting spot to Salmons. The guy at times has looked like a elite defender out there and there is no reason why he can't be one if he wants to be one. His mins like most the team are just way to unpredictable which is causing inconsistantcy. Had one heroic moment where he drilled a 3 to win us the game against the Knicks.

Travis Outlaw (F+): He gets the + since he always willing to come in ready and he played 3 decent games other than that worst player in the NBA.

Thomas Robinson (C-): When hes played like Kennath Faried hes been great when hes tried to play like DMC not so much, still has not fully adjusted to the NBA and seems really tight at times out there missing dunks/layups getting called for travels and so on. Is he just hustles he helps the team when he tries to do abit much he really hurts us, is getting better tho.

John Salmons (C+): I am not big fan of Salmons but for what hes got hes done ok...Leads the team in assists (3.3) and has had some really nice games but the problem is hes just not a starting SF in the L for any team. Hes to undersized and doesn't make good wings work hard when they defend him and he has no hope of defending them, hes been a solid vet but hes earning 8million a season and we really should be looking to the future and playing someone like Honeycutt.

Isaiah Thomas (C), Lost his starting job only to regain it and has been solid since getting it back, his assist number have been really down but the energy and toughness he provides is always great. I don't know if spliting time with Brooks has hurt his game but he always positive in every move he makes and we need that on this team. His defense like the other PG's has been below average but the guy has showed glimpses numerous times in particular scoring 23 points in 1 quarter against OKC.

Jason Thompson (B+): The most consistant Kings easily through the first half of the year, has shown up in most games and did his thing. His D at times leaves a little to be desired and he does pick up alot of fouls but he tries hard and is a glue guy on the team. Hes shown improvement in most areas and should be a nice piece for a while to come.

Marcus Thornton (C-/D+), in typical Thornton fashion has exploded in some games but for most the year due to injuries and personal matters (mum being sick) has not been that explosive option we desperatly need him to be. His really struggled shooting but could turn it around at any moment knowing him. His mins like the rest have been up and down just like his shot attempts, like Jimmer benefits more being a #3rd option on the floor rather than teams locking in on him off the bench with no starters out there.

Francisco Garcia (D): good lockeroom guy but really shouldn't be playing as much as he is

Tyler Honeycutt (no grade): wasting away on the bench for no reason, could fill the needs we have at SF

Coach Smart (F) - Idiot
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Sacramento Kings mid-season Player Grades

What about Petrie the genius behind that mess of a roster?
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

lol coach Smart got an F? I am sure 16-25 is about the best record any coach can get with this current Seattle Kings squad.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
andremiller07
#Dre Day in Sac Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You

To be fair I honestly don't know how much input he has into making moves so I can't say, but yeah the roster is a mess and trades have to be made.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
andremiller07
#Dre Day in Sac Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
lol coach Smart got an F? I am sure 16-25 is about the best record any coach can get with this current Seattle Kings squad.

Trust me you have to watch the games to understand, we have won games on the back of Cousins/Evans talent rather than any form of coaching.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Keith is not a F coach at all
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #7
roffie
Local High School Star

you'll be a mean teacher

harsh grades
roffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #8
andremiller07
#Dre Day in Sac Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
Keith is not a F coach at all

So why is he not still coaching the Warriors? The guys rotations are useless, he says all the right things in interviews and does the complete opposite when it comes to games. Every single game he subs Evans and Cousins out at the same time and bring in a bench 5 of Brook, Jimmer/Thornton, Johnson, Hayes and T-Rob which always losses us the lead or digs us in a bigger hole instead of having at least one of our stars out there to go with the scrubs.

Since he came our rebounding has gone to complete crap while the offense and defense has stayed the same which is average at best. Than at the end of games when he needs to get our star back in he often sits them for to long. Smart is a assistant coach in the NBA hes just not a head coach in this L.

Quote:
you'll be a mean teacher

harsh grades

Who do you feel I was harsh on other than maybe coach Smart?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07
So why is he not still coaching the Warriors?
Because he had a crap team and he got a crap team with the kings too.It really that simple im surprised he has the kings at 16-25
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #10
Miles and Miles
High School Varsity 6th Man

Up until recently I was on board with Coach Smart. But looking at his rotations and how inconsistent they are makes me scratch my head. I just don't understand what he is doing. This isn't youth basketball and everyone doesn't have to play. Why is afraid to play anyone over 40 minutes? I am not normally all juiced up about Jimmer or anything but why is he the only guy that hasn't gotten a consistent chance in the rotation? Why do a lot of the guys on this team not like each other. Need to get them to at least pretend to like each other out there. I still want to trade DMC, don't like him, don't care how good he has played lately.
Miles and Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #11
hawkfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You

Dude was a great GM like 10 years ago, and he has really done a horrible job in the last 6 years.

Worst GM in the league right now, worse that Dumars, which is saying a lot.

Why not hire a real coach like Jerry Sloan, who can command respect of the young players who actually do want to win?

In fairness to Cousins, who can actually thrive in that disastrous situation, when you know you are going to lose almost every night?
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #12
andremiller07
#Dre Day in Sac Town

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles and Miles
Up until recently I was on board with Coach Smart. But looking at his rotations and how inconsistent they are makes me scratch my head. I just don't understand what he is doing. This isn't youth basketball and everyone doesn't have to play. Why is afraid to play anyone over 40 minutes? I am not normally all juiced up about Jimmer or anything but why is he the only guy that hasn't gotten a consistent chance in the rotation? Why do a lot of the guys on this team not like each other. Need to get them to at least pretend to like each other out there. I still want to trade DMC, don't like him, don't care how good he has played lately.[/QUOTE]
You are 100% correct on everything other than the bolded part, unless the Kings get a amazing talent in the draft hes our biggest hope of getting into the playoffs in the next 3 years. When was the last time a good free agent signed with us? The only way for the Kings to get better is through trade or draft, the upcoming draft doesn't seem all that good and if we trade Cousins we are more than likely going to recieve rubbish in return. I honestly think if he keeps maturing him and Reke can do some damage with a solid line up around them. But everything you said about the rotations is spot on couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #13
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07
To be fair I honestly don't know how much input he has into making moves so I can't say, but yeah the roster is a mess and trades have to be made.
I thought the Maloofs were making a lot of the moves and vetoing others?
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:26 AM   #14
andremiller07
#Dre Day in Sac Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
I thought the Maloofs were making a lot of the moves and vetoing others?

Yeap pretty much this, so I don't even know how big of a % of the moves are Petries. But I know for a fact the Brooks one was his cause he LOVED Brooks for ages before he came to the Kings.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #15
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Yeah, Smart is better than Del Negro. Id give Smart a D, not an F.

Last edited by Kiddlovesnets : 01-20-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: