Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #136
Just2McFly
By Any Means
 
Just2McFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,566
Just2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatAsh
That's understandable. Given that information, would you say that it's more likely or less likely that the 96' Bulls win more games than the 12' Bulls? What about the 09' Cavs who won 66' games. Were they better or worse than the 96' Bulls?
Let's put it this way, the 08 Celtics were way, way better than the 09 Cavs and 07 Mavs even though their records are similar.
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #137
DatAsh
Local High School Star
 
DatAsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,822
DatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2McFly
Let's put it this way, the 08 Celtics were way, way better than the 09 Cavs and 07 Mavs even though their records are similar.

Agreed, but the Cavs played harder in the regular season.
DatAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #138
Just2McFly
By Any Means
 
Just2McFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,566
Just2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatAsh
Agreed, but the Cavs played harder in the regular season.
Way harder. They went all out for whatever reason, but I didn't fall for it. I chose the Magic in ECF.
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #139
DatAsh
Local High School Star
 
DatAsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,822
DatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2McFly
Way harder. They went all out for whatever reason, but I didn't fall for it. I chose the Magic in ECF.

The Bulls were the same way though. They went all out every game. That regular season effort - that most teams just don't have - combined with their level of talent resulted in 72 wins.

I just find it unlikely that they'd win less than the 09' Cavs. They were a much better team - talent wise - and they played just as hard, if not harder in the regular season.
DatAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #140
Just2McFly
By Any Means
 
Just2McFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,566
Just2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatAsh
The Bulls were the same way though. They wen't all out every game. That regular season effort - that most teams just don't have - combined with their level of talent resulted in 72 wins.

I just find it unlikely that they'd win less than the 09' Cavs. They were a much better team - talent wise - and they played just as hard, if not harder in the regular season.
Valid points there. I might have to change my prediction now.

Plus with the Knicks and the Heat playing so well, the Bulls will be busting their ass to get home court advantage.
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #141
Cladyclad
I brick open layups
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 119
Cladyclad has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teanett
hahaha
if thabo sefolosha can guard tony parker, then ron harper or pippen will do just fine.
hahaha


Ron harper was past his prime. Pippen never guarded Isisah, Hardaway or KJ so i doubt Phil would put him on these superfast athlethic pg's. the Bulls would have to tweak their starting lineup in todays gàme period
Cladyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #142
LeBird
Good High School Starter
 
LeBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 933
LeBird has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
Why does the same nonsense continue to be regurgitated? Ill ask younthe samenquestion I asked Mcfly. If expansion had that much of an effect on the Bulls record, how do you rationalize them winning 55 in 94 without Jordan, a rookie Kukoc, and a downgrade in Grant instead of Rodman and Pippen missing 10 games in which they went 3-7. Pre expansion mind you.

And what makes the 80s so competive? You essentially had two teams go to the championship every year.

Ironically, it is your nonsense that keeps getting repeated. Better teams often get worse records and sometimes good teams have great records. It's not a mathematical formula. You may need a lot of things to go for you and lots to not go against you (luck, even). Why did Bulls without Jordan only go a couple games worse and then in another year go almost 20 games better?

If the bolded has to be asked then I should seriously stop engaging you because your Pippen fanboyism was ludicrous enough.
LeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #143
LeBird
Good High School Starter
 
LeBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 933
LeBird has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatAsh
I just find it unlikely that they'd win less than the 09' Cavs. They were a much better team - talent wise - and they played just as hard, if not harder in the regular season.

But this part is absolutely irrelevant. The question is how would they do NOW. Not in 09.
LeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #144
guy
NBA All-star
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,296
guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatAsh
The Bulls were the same way though. They went all out every game. That regular season effort - that most teams just don't have - combined with their level of talent resulted in 72 wins.

I just find it unlikely that they'd win less than the 09' Cavs. They were a much better team - talent wise - and they played just as hard, if not harder in the regular season.

This. Competition and Talent isn't as much of a driving factor as just overall focus. I don't think there's ever been a more talented team that was ever that focused, which is the main reason I think they won 72 games. If teams that were clearly not that talented but were very determined and focused like the 2007 Mavs, 2009 Cavs, and 2011 Bulls were then a team thats clearly more talented and probably even more focused like the 96 Bulls has a great shot of still winning 72 games in this era.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #145
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,819
97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBird
Ironically, it is your nonsense that keeps getting repeated. Better teams often get worse records and sometimes good teams have great records. It's not a mathematical formula. You may need a lot of things to go for you and lots to not go against you (luck, even). Why did Bulls without Jordan only go a couple games worse and then in another year go almost 20 games better?
It's well documented that Pippen and Grant kinda coasted through the 93 season. That's why they went from 67 wins in 92 to 57 in 93. That effort returned in 94. and thus the 55 wins. Along with Kukoc joining the team, and them getting new blood in Kerr for Paxson and Longley for Cartwright. When it's all factored in, their record is legit. And expansion didnt inflate their record. Especially when they lost to one of those teams. They just had a great team with onviously a lot of depth


If the bolded has to be asked then I should seriously stop engaging you because your Pippen fanboyism was ludicrous enough.
You set this precedent. You're the one that continues to preach the dogma that all other generations of basketball is inferior to the golden 80s. I feel the talent level of the NBA is so high that its too hard to make that kind of assumption. And that goes for any era. They all haven their strengths and weaknesses. Its a classic cases of the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Now I've answered your question. Now answer mine. How do you explain the Bulls winning 55 games pre expansion in 94. And how many games would they have won in 94 if intead if Pete Myers, they had Jordan, and Rodman over Grant?
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #146
LeBird
Good High School Starter
 
LeBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 933
LeBird has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
Now I've answered your question. Now answer mine. How do you explain the Bulls winning 55 games pre expansion in 94. And how many games would they have won in 94 if intead if Pete Myers, they had Jordan, and Rodman over Grant?

I am not sure if you're blind or ignoring my point. If you know what I posted; you would know I would have said: I don't know. You cannot predict why or why not. Why did the 91 Bulls not win 72?

Your reply in the quote is also nonsense. You can only stipulate as to why...you cannot legitimately hold that they are the exact reasons. Who knows how much more a Pippen/Grant tried or didn't try and how that is calculable to 10 games. It's conjecture at best. Are the 92 Bulls, who did 'try', only 1 game worse than the 09 Cavs, per your retarded cross-comparisons? It's a ludicrous argument.

I don't even think the 72 win Bulls would win 72 games if they had to play the same teams in the same condition 10 years in a row, where they remain ageless, etc (which is a heck of a hypothetical, but illustrates my point). A lot of things have to happen, and happen exactly right for a team to have such a season.

That is why I stick to my general and vague response because of the myriad of factors. The league is stronger now than what it was in the 72 win season. Rodman himself said that it'd never happen in the 80s - acknowledging the expansion and era difference in terms of competition. These days there are multiple stacked teams and the competition is higher in general. The Bulls don't win 72 in my opinion - and definitely don't win more than 72 as you seem to suggest.

I also didn't set the precedent of your cockamamie theories re Pippen or here now. That's all your doing. Own it.
LeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #147
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,819
97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBird
I am not sure if you're blind or ignoring my point. If you know what I posted; you would know I would have said: I don't know. You cannot predict why or why not. Why did the 91 Bulls not win 72?
Because they weren't good enough.


Your reply in the quote is also nonsense. You can only stipulate as to why...you cannot legitimately hold that they are the exact reasons. Who knows how much more a Pippen/Grant tried or didn't try and how that is calculable to 10 games. It's conjecture at best.

Are the 92 Bulls, who did 'try', only 1 game worse than the 09 Cavs, per your retarded cross-comparisons? It's a ludicrous argument.
Thats not a fair comparion because the Bulls won the championship. The Cavs didnt even get out of the second round.

I don't even think the 72 win Bulls would win 72 games if they had to play the same teams in the same condition 10 years in a row, where they remain ageless, etc (which is a heck of a hypothetical, but illustrates my point). A lot of things have to happen, and happen exactly right for a team to have such a season.
This may be true. But consider that they followed that up with 69 wins in spite of Rodman missing almost 30 games, then 62 with Pippen missing half the season. That 72 win season was legit.


That is why I stick to my general and vague response because of the myriad of factors. The league is stronger now than what it was in the 72 win season. Rodman himself said that it'd never happen in the 80s - acknowledging the expansion and era difference in terms of competition.
You misquoted Rodman. That comment was made in the middle of the season. And he said that Bulls team couldnt be compared to the great Pistons, Lakers, and Celtics of the 80s because THEY HADN'T WON ANYTHING. And since you take what Rodman says as gospel, you must also agree with his statement that Larry Bird is overrated.


These days there are multiple stacked teams and the competition is higher in general. The Bulls don't win 72 in my opinion - and definitely don't win more than 72 as you seem to suggest.
So this isnt conjecture? There were multiple stacked teams in the Bulls era. The Sonics? Magic? Jazz? Heat? Knicks? Rockets? Pacers?

I also didn't set the precedent of your cockamamie theories re Pippen or here now. That's all your doing. Own it.
Im not talking about Pippen. Im talking about the Bulls. And youre notion that the only reason the Bulls won that many games was because of a lack of talent in the league.
Again you gloss over my point and question. You my friend are the one claiming the only reason the Bulls won that many games in 96 is because of expansion. When I smack that point in the face, you dismiss it as conjecture. And that may be true. But this is all conjecture. You feel the 86 Celtics would beat the 96 Bulls in a series. Can you prove that without a shadow of doubt? No. But that doesn't keep you from voicing youre opinion. What makes youre opinion any more relevant than mine. Get off you high horse
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #148
TheFan
High School Varsity 6th Man
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 721
TheFan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

55 - 60 wins maybe less... Jordan wouldn't be by far the best SG in the league... the league is more competitive right now.
TheFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #149
LeBird
Good High School Starter
 
LeBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 933
LeBird has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
Because they weren't good enough.

Oh really, so if I said "the 72 win Bulls would win less games because they weren't good enough" that'd cut it for you? Hah.

Quote:
Thats not a fair comparion because the Bulls won the championship. The Cavs didnt even get out of the second round.

Irrelevant; we are talking about a regular season record.

Quote:
This may be true. But consider that they followed that up with 69 wins in spite of Rodman missing almost 30 games, then 62 with Pippen missing half the season. That 72 win season was legit.

No one is claiming it was cheated or not legit. My point was that I find it unlikely to repeat it if they were a team competing in this season. And as I said, I don't think they'd have repeated it if all the same conditions could be simulated again and again, in their own era.

Quote:
You misquoted Rodman. That comment was made in the middle of the season. And he said that Bulls team couldnt be compared to the great Pistons, Lakers, and Celtics of the 80s because THEY HADN'T WON ANYTHING. And since you take what Rodman says as gospel, you must also agree with his statement that Larry Bird is overrated.

Who said what he says is always gospel? Everyone and their uncle knew that expansion had weakened the league. Get over it and stop making yourself look silly by arguing the opposite.

Quote:
So this isnt conjecture? There were multiple stacked teams in the Bulls era. The Sonics? Magic? Jazz? Heat? Knicks? Rockets? Pacers?

Haha, ridiculous. You're comparing short-lived, and not-as-talented teams, to more competitive eras. You just keep stooping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
Again you gloss over my point and question. You my friend are the one claiming the only reason the Bulls won that many games in 96 is because of expansion. When I smack that point in the face, you dismiss it as conjecture. And that may be true. But this is all conjecture. You feel the 86 Celtics would beat the 96 Bulls in a series. Can you prove that without a shadow of doubt? No. But that doesn't keep you from voicing youre opinion. What makes youre opinion any more relevant than mine. Get off you high horse

You don't smack it in the face, no more than the question of whether the Cavs of 09 would equal their run in the 90s. And, of course, I know it is all conjecture. Which is why I find your direct comparisons of records in other seasons absolutely silly. Which is why I stick to a generic reason and give a tentative prediction. On the other hand, you are trying to prove that they'd win even more games. How utterly silly.
LeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #150
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,819
97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What would the 72-10 Bull's record look like playing this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBird
Oh really, so if I said "the 72 win Bulls would win less games because they weren't good enough" that'd cut it for you? Hah.
That makes no sense. They showed they were capable by winning 72 games


Irrelevant; we are talking about a regular season record.



No one is claiming it was cheated or not legit. My point was that I find it unlikely to repeat it if they were a team competing in this season. And as I said, I don't think they'd have repeated it if all the same conditions could be simulated again and again, in their own era.



Who said what he says is always gospel? Everyone and their uncle knew that expansion had weakened the league.
No, Laker and Celtic fans feel the NBA was watered down in the 90s in an effort to diminish the Bulls dominance.

Get over it and stop making yourself look silly by arguing the opposite.



Haha, ridiculous. You're comparing short-lived, and not-as-talented teams, to more competitive eras. You just keep stooping.
And how can you prove this? Again, why is your conjecture better than anyone elses?


You don't smack it in the face, no more than the question of whether the Cavs of 09 would equal their run in the 90s. And, of course, I know it is all conjecture. Which is why I find your direct comparisons of records in other seasons absolutely silly. Which is why I stick to a generic reason and give a tentative prediction. On the other hand, you are trying to prove that they'd win even more games. How utterly silly.
Your lack of comprehension is incredible. This conversation began based solely on your assumption that the Bulls only won that many games because of playing in a watered down era. Thats were you're wrong. You can dismiss this as conjecture all you want. But if you follow sports, you'd have to know that talent translates to wins. If theyre capable of winning 55 games pre expansion without key player's is it unreasonable to draw the conclusion that drastic upgrades in talent is gonna improve their win total?
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy