Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #106
Balla_Status
______________________
 
Balla_Status's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,761
Balla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this board
Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
I know you don't think it. But that isn't what data analysis is. Just because you've never met anyone like that doesn't mean the statistics are wrong. It is actually weird that you haven't met people like that because I live in Australia and I have.

Same. It sorta caused a rift in our relationship. We got into some argument and I said, "dude...the bible's bullshit."

Dude wouldn't talk to me until I apologized. I eventually did (kind of dude that will literally admit nothing is wrong with him..wanted to save the friendship). He believed LITERALLY every word of it. He was part of the church of christ. They believe everything literally. It was a pretty inflammatory thing to say I guess...don't really care for him anymore though.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #107
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan
 
Timmy D for MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 7,658
Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Intelligent design? Fine. I can live with that.

But if someone tells me they believe in the out right creationism, and the age of the Earth being less than billions of years I can't understand that. There's too much evidence to the contrary.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #108
Jackass18
The Iron Price
 
Jackass18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Carcosa
Posts: 14,009
Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

People believe in all kinds of shit whether there's actual evidence for it or not.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #109
Patrick Chewing
Knicks fan since 1981
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,484
Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
But Christianity is a religion created 300 years after Jesus died


Why would the Romans create this religion some 300 years later though? I have a problem with this reason due to that immense gap in history.

What I will say is that people don't run away from the truth, they embrace it.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #110
hookul
I hit open 5-footers
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 250
hookul has decent reputationhookul has decent reputation
Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote:
The problem is that for the religious aspect to work it has to be literal. If original sin doesn't exist then there was no reason for Jesus to die on the cross. Christianity isn't a collection of philosophies that may or may not work for you. The Christians that are taking it literally are the only ones doing it right.

I do not understand why you and Rasheed are so persistent about this part. Is it because you have to generate an absurd enemy image that you can argue against with science and logic?

Despite everything mentioned in this thread - and common logic might I add - you insist that the REAL christians who got it RIGHT are the ones that take everything in the bible literally. This, despite the known fact that in every century, even at the very beginning of christianity, there have been very influential christian philosophers that clearly state that these stories are NOT to be taken literally. There are e.g. many interesting letter exchanges and written records of old greek vs. christian philosophers who deal with this issue. What you are doing is - again - taking what YOU believe constitutes a real christian and label with a broad brush because you need to argue that way so that you have it easier to label a christian "real" as a whacko nutjob. It is not that simple.

Christianity like other religions has a long and wide history with many directions, teachings etc. Just because one current direction that exists epecially in todays USA (hardcore creatonism) claims stupid things does not mean this represents christian believes. Neither historically nor logically.

This is similiar to claiming that e.g. the current ethical believe system of "the republican party" is the only real one for an american citizen ever, when in fact not only did the people and believes of the republican party changed over the decades/centuries but also that the republican party has at no point ever in time represented the believes of ALL american citizen or a REAL (whatever that means) american citizen.

Again, strictly speaking, to be a christian one should believe in the central teaching of a guy named thereafter as Jesus Christ. He himself did at no point ever indicated - at least as far as we know - that he takes the teachings of the old testament literally! Ironically, the revolutionary thing about him (if he existed in this manner) would be that he as a jew on purpose BROKE with many teachings of old jewish believe system!

Last edited by hookul : 12-06-2012 at 04:25 AM.
hookul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #111
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,992
miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookul
Again, strictly speaking, to be a christian one should believe in the central teaching of a guy named thereafter as Jesus Christ. He himself did at no point ever indicated - at least as far as we know - that he takes the teachings of the old testament literally! Ironically, the revolutionary thing about him (if he existed in this manner) would be that he as a jew on purpose BROKE with many teachings of old jewish believe system!

If Christianity was specifically about the moral teachings of Jesus then why not just lose the rest of the book? Why include everything about original sin and the concepts of heaven, hell, and salvation? What is the point of genesis if it is just allegory? If it didn't happen then it makes no sense to have Jesus die for our sins. It means that God didn't need to send his son to die but rather just have another messenger like Moses. The whole narrative and point falls apart.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #112
lakers_forever
National High School Star
 
lakers_forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,101
lakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
If Christianity was specifically about the moral teachings of Jesus then why not just lose the rest of the book? Why include everything about original sin and the concepts of heaven, hell, and salvation? What is the point of genesis if it is just allegory? If it didn't happen then it makes no sense to have Jesus die for our sins. It means that God didn't need to send his son to die but rather just have another messenger like Moses. The whole narrative and point falls apart.

The point is Jesus moral teachings are important not because he was a very smart man, but because he was God incarnated.

The point of Genesis is not to make a scientific explanation of universe's origin. It's a theological explanation. It makes us know that God created the world ex nihilo.

Pope John Paul II on the matter:

Cosmogony and cosmology have always aroused great interest among peoples and religions. The Bible itself speaks to us of the origin of the universe and its make-up, not in order to provide us with a scientific treatise, but in order to state the correct relationships of man with God and with the universe. Sacred Scripture wishes simply to declare that the world was created by God, and in order to teach this truth it expresses itself in the terms of the cosmology in use at the time of the writer. The Sacred Book likewise wishes to tell men that the world was not created as the seat of the gods, as was taught by other cosmogonies and cosmologies, but was rather created for the service of man and the glory of God. Any other teaching about the origin and make-up of the universe is alien to the intentions of the Bible, which does not wish to teach how heaven was made but how one goes to heaven.


"What is the point of genesis if it is just allegory? If it didn't happen then it makes no sense to have Jesus die for our sins. It means that God didn't need to send his son to die but rather just have another messenger like Moses. The whole narrative and point falls apart."

What does Genesis being an allegorical description of world's origin have anything to do with Jesus not dying for us sins? Genesis is a book from the Old Testament. Jesus's life is told to us in the New Testament. I failed to see this online atheist logic that because there are some weird/obscure passages in the OT, somehow Jesus and Christianity become false.
lakers_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #113
lakers_forever
National High School Star
 
lakers_forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,101
lakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookul
I do not understand why you and Rasheed are so persistent about this part. Is it because you have to generate an absurd enemy image that you can argue against with science and logic?

Despite everything mentioned in this thread - and common logic might I add - you insist that the REAL christians who got it RIGHT are the ones that take everything in the bible literally. This, despite the known fact that in every century, even at the very beginning of christianity, there have been very influential christian philosophers that clearly state that these stories are NOT to be taken literally. There are e.g. many interesting letter exchanges and written records of old greek vs. christian philosophers who deal with this issue. What you are doing is - again - taking what YOU believe constitutes a real christian and label with a broad brush because you need to argue that way so that you have it easier to label a christian "real" as a whacko nutjob. It is not that simple.

Christianity like other religions has a long and wide history with many directions, teachings etc. Just because one current direction that exists epecially in todays USA (hardcore creatonism) claims stupid things does not mean this represents christian believes. Neither historically nor logically.

This is similiar to claiming that e.g. the current ethical believe system of "the republican party" is the only real one for an american citizen ever, when in fact not only did the people and believes of the republican party changed over the decades/centuries but also that the republican party has at no point ever in time represented the believes of ALL american citizen or a REAL (whatever that means) american citizen.

Again, strictly speaking, to be a christian one should believe in the central teaching of a guy named thereafter as Jesus Christ. He himself did at no point ever indicated - at least as far as we know - that he takes the teachings of the old testament literally! Ironically, the revolutionary thing about him (if he existed in this manner) would be that he as a jew on purpose BROKE with many teachings of old jewish believe system!

Exactly. The old law told people to stone to death a woman who cheated on her husband. What the Jesus do? He told the angry crowd: "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone".

And I guess all the Christians who had an allegorial interpretation of Genesis since the beggining of Christianity, the Catholic Church and several other Christian church who also defend allegorical interpretations are not real Christians.

Like I said catholics don't think everything of the OT apllies to Christians. And some christians (inspired by St. Paul) thinks that with the coming of Jesus, Christians should not obey the old law, because it was perfected by Christ.

Last edited by lakers_forever : 12-06-2012 at 07:55 AM.
lakers_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #114
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,992
miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers_forever
What does Genesis being an allegorical description of world's origin have anything to do with Jesus not dying for us sins? Genesis is a book from the Old Testament. Jesus's life is told to us in the New Testament. I failed to see this online atheist logic that because there are some weird/obscure passages in the OT, somehow Jesus and Christianity become false.

I didn't say they become false, that is a different debate. I'm saying that for the story to be internally consistent Genesis needs to be literal. The whole point is that the fall occurred and subsequently accepting Jesus takes that away from us. I honestly don't see any point in Genesis if it is only supposed to be symbolic or allegorical? I don't see why the message could not be conveyed with actual details instead of made up stuff.

Also how is Genesis obscure? I'm not talking about some bizarre passage in Leviticus. I'm talking about passages dealing with the overall story arc.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #115
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,483
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote:
I do not understand why you and Rasheed are so persistent about this part. Is it because you have to generate an absurd enemy image that you can argue against with science and logic?

Despite everything mentioned in this thread - and common logic might I add - you insist that the REAL christians who got it RIGHT are the ones that take everything in the bible literally. This, despite the known fact that in every century, even at the very beginning of christianity, there have been very influential christian philosophers that clearly state that these stories are NOT to be taken literally. There are e.g. many interesting letter exchanges and written records of old greek vs. christian philosophers who deal with this issue. What you are doing is - again - taking what YOU believe constitutes a real christian and label with a broad brush because you need to argue that way so that you have it easier to label a christian "real" as a whacko nutjob. It is not that simple.


For the umpteenth time I will say it again..... My point is not that christians must take everything literal...

the point is they obviously need to accept ALL the tenets of their denomination.. not only the ones they personally choose to believe in

there is a difference...

if you think there isnt a difference? then that is where we disagree..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #116
hookul
I hit open 5-footers
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 250
hookul has decent reputationhookul has decent reputation
Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
For the umpteenth time I will say it again..... My point is not that christians must take everything literal...

the point is they obviously need to accept ALL the tenets of their denomination.. not only the ones they personally choose to believe in

there is a difference...


if you think there isnt a difference? then that is where we disagree..

And I responded to it that a) it is possible that oe of the many, many denominations out there might already completely match ones personally believes or b) that one might just as readily start their own "denomination" and still call oneself a christian...how do you think did all those denominations come into existence in the first place?
hookul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #117
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,483
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookul
And I responded to it that a) it is possible that oe of the many, many denominations out there might already completely match ones personally believes

Those people dont belong in the conversation if they accept all the tenets of their own religion






Quote:
or b) that one might just as readily start their own "denomination" and still call oneself a christian...how do you think did all those denominations come into existence in the first place?

^like I already said... How many denominations there are and how they get started is totally irrelevant to my point

if you start your own denomination then you would expect the people who follow you to accept ALL of your religious philosophy, not just the parts they want to..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #118
hookul
I hit open 5-footers
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 250
hookul has decent reputationhookul has decent reputation
Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
if you start your own denomination then you would expect the people who follow you to accept ALL of your religious philosophy, not just the parts they want to..

No I don't. Why should I...it would be my denomination...my rules...if the rules are very broad (a.k.a. be nice like jesus said but I do not care what else you do or believe in) then that is how it is. Obviously one would have to follow some CORE philosophies of mine but not ALL.

Edit: That is just similiar to the laws of a nation...there would be some key rules (do not kill etc.) but underneath this very broad umbrella the people of the nation are quite free to express themsleves
hookul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #119
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,483
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote:
but I do not care what else you do or believe in


I guess you can just have a religion where the goal is to believe whatever you want and just do whatever feel like...

but who creates a religion and is too lazy to even draw up a real set of beliefs?

Is there a real denomination that says "f*ck it, believe whatever you want"?

serious question..


If thats the case? I can create my own little 1 man religion in my heart and say Im real because in my own little religion, I am doing the right thing..

I mean people are free to do it..........but .......

it starts to cheapen the value of being a christian... Its starts to bring up the questions that Millertime was asking..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #120
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 15,000
-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
The problem is that for the religious aspect to work it has to be literal. If original sin doesn't exist then there was no reason for Jesus to die on the cross. Christianity isn't a collection of philosophies that may or may not work for you. The Christians that are taking it literally are the only ones doing it right. When you get into wish-washy apologetics and metaphorical explanations it makes the entire premise pointless. If you want to just accept the philosophical aspects then this should be your bible.
I disagree with this entire post 100%, just had a long ass debate with Rasheed over this so no need to repeat that, but who are you to tell them "they are doing it wrong"?

IMO some of the stories in the Bible are BLATANTLY symbolic and the ONLY way they can be taken is as such. (I won't tell the ones who take it literal they are doing it wrong though) For the religious aspect to work it doesn't have to be taken literal at all, and I don't see why you would think such a thing, the important part is what is being taught, not what really did or didn't happen.

Also, the words in the Bible will never change, but the way humans interpret those words certainly can change and evolve for the better. When something is glaringly wrong then Christians shouldn't be hard headed about it IMO, they should evolve their beliefs around what is now seen as more logical. There isn't isn't wrong with them doing so IMO. They aren't "doing it wrong" if they think Adam and Eve is symbolic rather than literal.



edit: just ignore this post, I didn't catch up to see this was already being debated

Last edited by -p.tiddy- : 12-06-2012 at 12:08 PM.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy