Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #31
28renyoy
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,824
28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3z4r
I find this to be very flawed because you don't factor in 3pointers, which are included into FGA, and free-throw attempts, which don't count as a FGA. I mean, for example, Lebron is currently shooting a career low free-throws, so if this trend continues he'll have to take more FGA to compensate for the lack of free-throws points.

Edit: I wasn't asking because I don't know how to calculate, but rather because a simple calculation won't do.


If you want to do a total calculation, scaling for FTA, then it would be


30k-total points scored=y=points needed for 30k

y/(ppg average for recent trend say 4 years)=X=games needed for 30k

(.44*FTA averaged during trend)+(FGA averaged during trend)=Z=average shots needed per game to reach 30k

X*Z=N=shots needed to reach 30k=N

(Career FTA*.44 + Career FGA)+N=total shots needed to reach 30k points
28renyoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #32
TheeBeast
Local High School Star
 
TheeBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,293
TheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this board
Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
The greatest trick Kobe ever pulled was making his longevity look easy. The large majority of players dont stay this good this long.

Durant is secretly 7 feet tall. And people just ASSUME Durant will be the goat scorer even though the dude is running like a racing horse right now, how will he even match what he's doing now in the next 6 years? You can't compare the legs of a 6'6 guard to a 7 footer
TheeBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #33
D.J.
College superstar
 
D.J.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 4,961
D.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputation
Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

As mentioned earlier, Kobe's longevity is insane. This is Kobe's 17th season and he's averaging 28/5/5. Here's the few others who come close in their 17th season:


Kareem- 23/6/3+
Malone- 22/8+/4/2
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #34
DStebb716
Phil of the Future
 
DStebb716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,227
DStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this board
Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3z4r
I find this to be very flawed because you don't factor in 3pointers, which are included into FGA, and free-throw attempts, which don't count as a FGA. I mean, for example, Lebron is currently shooting a career low free-throws, so if this trend continues he'll have to take more FGA to compensate for the lack of free-throws points.

Edit: I wasn't asking because I don't know how to calculate, but rather because a simple calculation won't do.

Well you don't need to include free throws attempted because if OP is referring to purely the number of field goals attempted then you only need to calculate these guys based on their field goals attempted. Obviously it makes LeBron/Durant's pace look MUCH better than Kobe's if they get more free throws than he did.
DStebb716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #35
bluechox2
#knickstape
 
bluechox2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 9,878
bluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

who cares how many shots he needed...he got there and congrats
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #36
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,828
longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejavelin
DUMB THREAD

because historically S Guards have better FG% than Centers and pf. hes not too far from mj in fga and mj was a beast. just being in that group is an honor.

How dare you try to bring common sense into a good ole Kobe hating thread.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #37
pnyozzzoo
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 582
pnyozzzoo has decent reputation
Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

According to ESPN stats guy, Kobe shots more shots Per minute than Allen Iverson, I think thats highest ever?
pnyozzzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #38
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP
 
Mr. Jabbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Staples Center
Posts: 13,351
Mr. Jabbar has an incredible reputation hereMr. Jabbar has an incredible reputation hereMr. Jabbar has an incredible reputation hereMr. Jabbar has an incredible reputation hereMr. Jabbar has an incredible reputation hereMr. Jabbar has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

He also reached the 30k milestone holding 5 rings, how did the other ones fare when at that milestone
Mr. Jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #39
Yao Ming's Foot
You're welcome
 
Yao Ming's Foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,000
Yao Ming's Foot has decent reputationYao Ming's Foot has decent reputation
Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

Kobe currently has more career points than Lebron and Durant COMBINED

Yao Ming's Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #40
28renyoy
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,824
28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
Nope. Because, statistically, they may never be this efficient again.



For example, stupid, Michael Jordan. The year the Bulls won their second title he had his lowest PPG average in 6 years. And he took .3 more shots per game than the year before, while scoring 1.4PPG less.


So, it seems like your argument is full of shit. But please, go ahead and tell me how I'm wrong.


You're an idiot

Player A averages
5.0 ppg year 1
7.0 ppg year 2
11.0 ppg year 3
16.0 ppg year 4
22.0 ppg year 5
25.0 ppg year 6
23.0 ppg year 7

His average for these 7 years were 15.2 ppg

After averaging 23.3 ppg over the past 3 years, you would expect him to average 15.2 ppg in year 8?
28renyoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #41
Yao Ming's Foot
You're welcome
 
Yao Ming's Foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,000
Yao Ming's Foot has decent reputationYao Ming's Foot has decent reputation
Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
He also reached the 30k milestone holding 5 rings, how did the other ones fare when at that milestone

Durant is on pace to win 0 rings, the KING maybe 2 at best.
Yao Ming's Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #42
The-Legend-24
LA DECIMA!!
 
The-Legend-24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: PARTYNEXTDOOR
Posts: 4,404
The-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
Kobe currently has more career points than Lebron and Durant COMBINED

The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #43
BEAST Griffin
SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,321
BEAST Griffin is considered somewhat coolBEAST Griffin is considered somewhat coolBEAST Griffin is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStebb716
PS- His Michael Jordan number is false. It took MJ 22,956 shots to get to 30,000. That's only 107 less than Kobe.

Must be his Wizards years.
BEAST Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #44
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP
 
Mr. Jabbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Staples Center
Posts: 13,351
Mr. Jabbar has an incredible reputation hereMr. Jabbar has an incredible reputation hereMr. Jabbar has an incredible reputation hereMr. Jabbar has an incredible reputation hereMr. Jabbar has an incredible reputation hereMr. Jabbar has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
Durant is on pace to win 0 rings, the KING maybe 2 at best.

Mr. Jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #45
swag2011
High School Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 831
swag2011 has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

I hope this takes into account that Kobe is the ONLY 30,000+ scorer to play through 2 LOCKOUT seasons. Back in 99 the season didn't start till February ( would've been an all star again too) and just last year season didn't start till christmas. If last season was a full season he would've been hit 30k
swag2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy