Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default 'Extended workouts' after losses are such BS.

I don't care who's doing it.

It's a dog n pony show with little to no value.

Perhaps you, as a player, were actually good enough but your teammates just didn't show up that night?

The body needs rest after a game, not more exercise LMAO. Ever heard of the concept of overtraining? Regular practices and pre-game warmups are enough to iron out the kinks. You're not going to "get better" in an extended workout.

I wish these guys would stop pulling these stunts for the media so their stans have an excuse to praise their "heart and commitment".
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation
Default Re: 'Extended workouts' after losses are such BS.

looks at your avatar.....

(nods)....makes perfect sense.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
looks at your avatar.....

(nods)....makes perfect sense.

TMac's career would have ended sooner if he did 'extended workouts' after games.

What he needed was more off-season training and preparation. Not 'extended workouts' after the body's in need of rest and recovery.

Enjoy your dog n pony shows!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Spaulding
It's Okay

Spaulding is a pretty well-respected posterSpaulding is a pretty well-respected posterSpaulding is a pretty well-respected posterSpaulding is a pretty well-respected poster

You never played on a team sport? After Hockey games if I do not perform well I will get a few buddies and go to another rink to practice.

Nothing wrong with taking a loss seriously.
Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Rubio2Gasol
College star

Rubio2Gasol has decent reputation

Some players bodies genuinely don't need the same level of rest and sometimes a loss just bothers you to the point where rest is genuinely not your main concern.

It might not make a difference in your game but it's not ALWAYS just for show.

I do admit though....this one seems for show. He put up his stats.
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaulding
You never played on a team sport? After Hockey games if I do not perform well I will get a few buddies and go to another rink to practice.

What kind of drills would you do?

The only thing I can see a player working on that makes sense after a loss is free throws and jumpers.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
Spaulding
It's Okay

Spaulding is a pretty well-respected posterSpaulding is a pretty well-respected posterSpaulding is a pretty well-respected posterSpaulding is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
What kind of drills would you do?

The only thing I can see a player working on that makes sense after a loss is free throws and jumpers.

We take turns bringing the puck up and forcing ourselves to make a certain amount of passes before one of us is allowed to shoot. We put a hockey cover (with holes made for goals) to practice our accuracy.

Then we do a free for all to work on our puck handling.

It's really fun and it helps us out a lot.

I imagine basketball players who do this do close to the same thing.
Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaulding

Yes, he never played a sport.

It's not the physical part of it. It's the mental part. You go back to the gym and work things over, while thinking about what went wrong, what you could've done better. It's the fact that you're doing something different - you're penalizing yourself and taking things more serious than other days. You think about things that motivate you to work harder the next day. So no, it's not all for show.

Well, maybe for Lebron it is
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

You really think a professional athlete is going to overtrain because they work out after playing basketball for 40 minutes?
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
Well, maybe for Lebron it is

LeBron is better than Kobe ever was though.

I don't understand your laughter.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

Quote:
TMac's career would have ended sooner if he did 'extended workouts' after games.

What he needed was more off-season training and preparation. Not 'extended workouts' after the body's in need of rest and recovery.

Enjoy your dog n pony shows!

- Look, Lebron seemed to change his whole basketball outlook after the 2011 season....he seemed morefocused on becoming a better player.

- He has definatley took the Kobe/MJ role of developing his game...and work ethic in the past 2 years.

- I think anyone watching his game can se vast improvements the past couple of seasons.....constantley working on your game/maintaining your body year round will only help......something TMAC never did.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I don't understand your laughter.

Seeing as you didn't even know about the first part of my post, I'd say it's not surprising you don't understand anything.

Go back to watching T-mac's highlights. Or maybe you could follow him in China right now, to see how "not working out his game" or not being serious about the game is helping him.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I consider it to be self-punishment, and just a good way to keep yourself hungry. Do not settle with the loss, beat up your second unit at least. Keep attacking. :That wolf:
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
Seeing as you didn't even know about the first part of my post, I'd say it's not surprising you don't understand anything.

Go back to watching T-mac's highlights. Or maybe you could follow him in China right now, to see how "not working out his game" or not being serious about the game is helping him.

T-Mac was cursed with body ailments that curtailed his workouts.

No amount of training could have helped the relieve the back spasms he faced for life.

LeBron is better than Kobe ever was, btw. He doesn't need an 'extended workout' although I'm sure he had better intentions than Kobe did. LeBron probably does it to inspire his teammates while Kobe does it purely to remove blame from himself to imply he's the "only one trying". Giving himself an excuse to jack up more shots and isolate teammates not willing to do 'extended workouts'.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
I<3NBA
College superstar

I<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryI<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

the extended workout is not intended to hone one's game but to let frustration out. guess you never played competitive sport before huh?
I<3NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: