Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
Clippersfan86
Banned

Default Alvin Gentry: Clippers by far have best bench in NBA, could win title

I know it was a noon game so not many watched this demolition (I just watched it now myself). Still pretty telling to hear this from a respectable NBA head coach. The Clippers bench took a tie going into the 4th quarter and turned it into an 18 point win without the starters playing a single minute.

“They’re a really, really good team. There’s no reason why they shouldn’t be talking about an opportunity to win a championship. They’ve got good starters. They’ve got by far the best bench in the NBA. It’s not even close I don’t think. When you bring in Lamar Odom and Jamal Crawford and this kid Bledsoe, the improvement he’s made this year.

I think Ryan Hollins and [Ronny] Turiaf this year have both played really good basketball. I’ve seen games where the second unit has really gotten separation for them. In the games they struggled, the second unit is really the one that’s got them back in games, so when you’re that deep and you’re loaded with veteran guys and good young players like Bledsoe, I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t be thinking about playing in June".

When asked how to stop the Clippers....

"As I said, I don’t know what a weakness on this team is. Maybe free throw shooting but usually Chris Paul is going to have the ball at the end of the game so it doesn’t really matter anyway.”

http://www.nba.com/clippers/news/alv...talks-clippers

Last edited by Clippersfan86 : 12-09-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
PyrrhusX
GOATbrook >>>

Default Re: Alvin Gentry: Clippers by far have best bench in NBA, could win title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
.... When you bring in Jamal Crawford and this kid Bledsoe, the improvement he’s made this year....

Fixed that part.
And I think he underestimates the Spurs bench when he says 'its not even close'. The Wiz also have a good bench, but that could be highlighted by the fact that their starters suck. Anyone thinking Clips dont have a chance is a fool.
PyrrhusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
Clippersfan86
Banned

Default Re: Alvin Gentry: Clippers by far have best bench in NBA, could win title

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrrhusX
Fixed that part.
And I think he underestimates the Spurs bench when he says 'its not even close'. The Wiz also have a good bench, but that could be highlighted by the fact that their starters suck. Anyone thinking Clips dont have a chance is a fool.

I think he's being a bit generous to say "not even close" in general. Although when the Clippers bench is on... it really isn't close considering it's basically a quality starting 5. Bledsoe, Crawford, Barnes, Odom and Turiaf would be better as a starting 5 than probably 5 or 6 teams in the league.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

Quote:
I think he's being a bit generous to say "not even close" in general. Although when the Clippers bench is on... it really isn't close considering it's basically a quality starting 5. Bledsoe, Crawford, Barnes, Odom and Turiaf would be better as a starting 5 than probably 5 or 6 teams in the league.
Which 5 or 6 teams would that be, post their starting line up too.
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonislegend
Which 5 or 6 teams would that be, post their starting line up too.

Bobcats, Wizards, Suns, Magic, Raptors and probably the Pistons would have a worse all around starting 5 than the Clippers bench, maybe a couple others too. Clippers bench scoring isn't the most dangerous part.. it's their fantastic rebounding and defense that would give these teams issues.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #6
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
I know it was a noon game so not many watched this demolition (I just watched it now myself). Still pretty telling to hear this from a respectable NBA head coach. The Clippers bench took a tie going into the 4th quarter and turned it into an 18 point win without the starters playing a single minute.

“They’re a really, really good team. There’s no reason why they shouldn’t be talking about an opportunity to win a championship. They’ve got good starters. They’ve got by far the best bench in the NBA. It’s not even close I don’t think. When you bring in Lamar Odom and Jamal Crawford and this kid Bledsoe, the improvement he’s made this year.

I think Ryan Hollins and [Ronny] Turiaf this year have both played really good basketball. I’ve seen games where the second unit has really gotten separation for them. In the games they struggled, the second unit is really the one that’s got them back in games, so when you’re that deep and you’re loaded with veteran guys and good young players like Bledsoe, I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t be thinking about playing in June".

When asked how to stop the Clippers....

"As I said, I don’t know what a weakness on this team is. Maybe free throw shooting but usually Chris Paul is going to have the ball at the end of the game so it doesn’t really matter anyway.”

http://www.nba.com/clippers/news/alv...talks-clippers

omg omg....go jerk off now

where is the depth in the front court????

DJ/hollins
B Griffin/LO

good luck with that
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #7
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
omg omg....go jerk off now

where is the depth in the front court????

DJ/hollins
B Griffin/LO

good luck with that

I'm just posting what a head coach said today, nothing more. No need to attack me and act like these are my quotes or opinions. When the Lakers are beating bad teams you have no problem talking about it so why can't I post it when my team is blowing teams out by an average of 27+ points the last few games? BTW why do the Clippers need luck? How's the Lakers backcourt depth? You just sent your backup center to the D League. Lakers fans of all people should not be coming in this thread critiquing depth.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #8
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

Quote:
Bobcats, Wizards, Suns, Magic, Raptors and probably the Pistons would have a worse all around starting 5 than the Clippers bench, maybe a couple others too. Clippers bench scoring isn't the most dangerous part.. it's their fantastic rebounding and defense that would give these teams issues.
You think Bledsoe Crawford hill Odom turiaf is better than those teams? Yup delusional as ever. Bledsoe would lead the league in turnovers, Crawford would shoot 39% hill would get injured Odom would be winded right off the tip and turiaf is a cheerleader. Post the starting line up of those teams so you understand how stupid you sound.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:15 AM   #9
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
You think Bledsoe Crawford hill Odom turiaf is better than those teams? Yup delusional as ever. Bledsoe would lead the league in turnovers, Crawford would shoot 39% hill would get injured Odom would be winded right off the tip and turiaf is a cheerleader

The same bench that took a 4 point lead over Miami and made it 22 in no time flat over Lebron+starters? This team regularly punches starters in the mouths and EXTENDS leads by a huge amount. Not sure what your analysis is based on.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #10
clipps
BOLTS

Bledsoe, JC, Barnes, Odom, Turiaf > Duhon, Mamba, MWP, Pau, Howard ... Say somtin!!!
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #11
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

Quote:
The same bench that took a 4 point lead over Miami and made it 22 in no time flat over Lebron+starters? This team regularly punches starters in the mouths and EXTENDS leads by a huge amount. Not sure what your analysis is based on.
if someone is starting and playing major minutes is different then coming off the bench and playing in spurts? What do you not understand about that. Exactly why Bledsoe will never be a starter.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:19 AM   #12
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
if someone is starting and playing major minutes is different then coming off the bench and playing in spurts? What do you not understand about that. Exactly why Bledsoe will never be a starter.

I agree they won't do that vs the good teams in extended minutes but if you think...

Bledsoe
Crawford
Barnes/Hill
Odom
Turiaf

would be the worst starting 5 in the NBA or even top 5 worst, you're not being honest.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #13
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

Quote:
I agree they won't do that vs the good teams in extended minutes but if you think...

Bledsoe
Crawford
Barnes/Hill
Odom
Turiaf

would be the worst starting 5 in the NBA or even top 5 worst, you're not being honest.

Lol. I wish you could read what you wrote without delusion googles that is a terrible lineup.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:25 AM   #14
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Lol. I wish you could read what you wrote without delusion googles that is a terrible lineup.

A very average offensive lineup and an ELITE, top 10 defense in the league not to mention it would be one of the best rebounding ones. Why? Because 4 of these players are very good defenders and rebounders. Bledsoe is one of the best defending and rebounding PG's. Odom is averaging 9 rpg the last 3 and always plays very solid D and is finally getting into shape. Turiaf is a very smart defender and good rebounder. Barnes again a very good defender, elite rebounder for his position.

Last edited by Clippersfan86 : 12-09-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #15
Al Thornton
Banned

the clippers bench would easily be one of the 3 worst starting lineups in the league. even if odom was in perfect shape and you replace barnes or turiaf with grant hill. turiaf only has minutes right now because lamar can't play more minutes right now. in the playoffs they will be playing only 9 guys.

Last edited by Al Thornton : 12-09-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: