Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat cool
Default Wow, George Karl is a hater

Quote:
Carmelo Anthony may be having an MVP-caliber season, but his former coach, George Karl , was in no mood to give him the lion's share of credit for the Knicks ' outstanding start. "I don't think it's him by himself," the Nuggets' coach said before Sunday night's game. "I think it's a combination of Tyson Chandler 's leadership, Jason Kidd 's veteran-ness and Raymond Felton coming here with a mission. There's a lot of psychological toughness out there that the team hasn't had in the past." Karl coached Anthony with the Nuggets from 2003-11 before the Knicks traded for him in February 2011. The two often butted heads as Anthony put up big numbers but the team got out of the first round of the playoffs only once. It's been almost two years since Anthony was traded from Denver, and it's finally starting to look as though the Knicks got the better of that deal. "I've always said that Melo is going to win a championship someday,'' Karl said. "He's going to figure out that numbers and stat sheets aren't important, it's the team scoreboard and the intangibles in the end that make the winners champions." Karl did not say if this is that season for Anthony. But it was clear that he thinks the Knicks and their star are headed in the right direction.

konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

BlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Wow, George Karl is a hater

How is it hating? He even said at the end of his quote that he thinks Carmelo will win a championship one day.

He's just stating that Carmelo shouldn't be the only person given credit on that team, which is entirely true. Jason Kidd, Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton have all made a huge difference on that team and the Knicks even beat a full strength Heat team without Melo.

Problem?
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

konex, you make terrible threads.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandGold
How is it hating? He even said at the end of his quote that he thinks Carmelo will win a championship one day.

He's just stating that Carmelo shouldn't be the only person given credit on that team, which is entirely true. Jason Kidd, Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton have all made a huge difference on that team and the Knicks even beat a full strength Heat team without Melo.

Problem?

MVP doesn't mean you get ALL the credit By the standard MVP criteria, Melo is right there with Durant but Karl couldn't bring himself to say that much
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I actually saw him speaking to the NY media, and he did hate on Melo although these quotes don't really show it. I mentioned it in the game thread. It was all MELO NEEDS TO LEARN TO BE UNSELFISH, NEEDS TO LEARN TO STOP PAYING ATTENTION TO STATS, NEEDS TO LEARN THE TEAM MATTERS MORE. It was him without prompting criticizing Melo.

And for the first person who is going to say this is not criticism, if i told you "you just need to learn to be smarter, nicer, better at your job and better looking and you'll be fine" when asked how my day was going.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
kuniva_dAMiGhTy
The First School

kuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterkuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterkuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterkuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterkuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterkuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterkuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterkuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Is he wrong though?
kuniva_dAMiGhTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
ZenMaster
Whap'em

ZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by konex
MVP doesn't mean you get ALL the credit By the standard MVP criteria, Melo is right there with Durant but Karl couldn't bring himself to say that much

Tyson Chandler is the most important player on the Knicks, but they're very much a team. Kidd was an excellent addition to that team.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
Is he wrong though?
Melo is not his player. There is a point where he can stop being a jackass and critcizing him all the time.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
heavensdevil
Michael Lee

heavensdevil has an OK reputation so far

How is speaking the truth hating? dumb thread.
heavensdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
dabulls23
I brick open layups

dabulls23 has an OK reputation so far

lol, stop trolling OP
dabulls23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandGold

Based on the portion provided in the original post, I echo your sentiments entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
I actually saw him speaking to the NY media, and he did hate on Melo although these quotes don't really show it. I mentioned it in the game thread. It was all MELO NEEDS TO LEARN TO BE UNSELFISH, NEEDS TO LEARN TO STOP PAYING ATTENTION TO STATS, NEEDS TO LEARN THE TEAM MATTERS MORE. It was him without prompting criticizing Melo.

And for the first person who is going to say this is not criticism, if i told you "you just need to learn to be smarter, nicer, better at your job and better looking and you'll be fine" when asked how my day was going.
Regarding your first paragraph, I think it'd depend upon what one's definition of "hating" is. Next, we may have to ask ourselves if hating is such a bad thing.

To me, I've always looked at hating as someone wrongfully criticizing another person (without merit) simply for the sake of criticism. I don't know a lot about Carmelo Anthony, but to hear a former long-term head coach of his suggest Anthony had to learn that it was about more than the statistics... doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to me. It doesn't mean Karl's right of course, but it surely doesn't sound as if he's just throwing things out there without any basis.

Personally, if I coached a player who maybe gave off a selfish vibe while he played for my team, while we largely struggled as a result, then saw him finally experience success in another town as his style of play or persona matured, perhaps I'd make similar statements (i.e. he had to learn it was about more than statistics, I believe he'll win a championship at some point, etc.).

Last edited by Rake2204 : 12-10-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
kurple
NBA All-star

kurple has a near all-star reputation herekurple has a near all-star reputation herekurple has a near all-star reputation herekurple has a near all-star reputation herekurple has a near all-star reputation herekurple has a near all-star reputation here

george karl is a loser and should have quit coaching when the nuggets upset the supersonics
kurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
ZenMaster
Whap'em

ZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

People don't ever see it from Karls perspective. He says those things because that's what Melo did when he played for him which Melo was criticized for at the time. On top of that, Melo brought a huge ammount of stress on his former team with trade demands etc, it was a long drama and happened just after Karl recovered from throat cancer, Karl probably wanted to tell Melo to fkuck himself bringing that situation into Karls life.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Money 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurple
george karl is a loser and should have quit coaching when the nuggets upset the supersonics
I still remember how pathetic that was ...

Sonics were stacked too. GP / Gill / Shrempf / Kemp
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Melo is not his player. There is a point where he can stop being a jackass and critcizing him all the time.

Exactly. All they asked him was if Melo was in the MVP running. All he had to say is, "Sure, Melo's playing great". He just couldn't resist raining on the Melo's parade..
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: