Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #31
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: When will it become obvious to EVERYONE...

I don't think it's a fair comparison as the game was different then. Passing games weren't as dynamic and they didn't have the same rules as today. If judging by todays stats Elway would be an average NFL QB lol..

But I don't have any problem with labeling Brady as the GOAT
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #32
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Montana is clearly the best superbowl quarterback of all time and it's not even close.

However as overall playoff quarterbacks, he's not clearly the best. He's in the conversation. Rodgers has rediculous numbers, 105.5 rating, 18 total touchdowns to 4 ints, great in superbowl....

Drew Brees.... 325 yards per game, 104 rating, 22 touchdowns only 4 ints...dominant superbowl performance.
now Rodgers and Brees just have to keep that up over the course of 15 years and 4 SBs

Rodgers could actually do it maybe
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #33
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
You could argue guys like Warner, Rodgers, Starr, and Brees. But, playoffs are only a small part of a career anyways. Barry Sanders was rather mediocre in the playoffs, so would you drop him out of the top 10 for RBs?
drop him to #4...that is part of why...Brady isn't "out of my top-10"

he couldn't run on grass

Barry actually finished a playoff game with negative total yardage in Lambeau
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #34
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Marino threw for over 5,000 yards and had 48 TDs in a season back in that era.

And people shit their pants over it.

Now someone 4-5 people approach 5,000 a year. Only two of the top 10 total passing yards all time come from before 2001. That makes Marino's accomplishments even more impressive, and is why some people still argue that he's the best passer of all time.

If you can't see the difference between then and now, you should visit you local optometrist.

And still I ask you. With one game one the line who would you want under center? Montana.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #35
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
If judging by todays stats Elway would be an average NFL QB lol..

That would be by an awfully shallow way to look at it, though. It would ignore:

-He was extremely clutch
-The Drive
-He played with little offensive talent until the end of his career
-He won a lot (held the record for wins when he retired)
-Only 2 losing seasons in his career
-He was a gunslinger who took chances, but he kind of had to
-Led his team to 5 SBs
-Won 2 SBs
-Won SB MVP
-Won MVP

Though, I guess the problem is the people who only look at stats.

Quote:
If you can't see the difference between then and now, you should visit you local optometrist.

Yes, that has to be taken into consideration, but you also have to take into consideration who Montana played with and who his coach was. He was in a great position to have a lot of success.

Quote:
And still I ask you. With one game one the line who would you want under center? Montana.

Incredibly hard to say. I could go by winning % and say someone like Graham or Brady. Maybe go with someone who was extremely clutch like Elway. Maybe go with someone like Favre. Yeah, he had his off-days, but when he was on he was really on. It didn't matter who his receivers were nor who he was going against. Are you talking about a SB game? Montana of course would be a great choice (regardless if SB or not), but you could also look at what Young did in the SB. But, I wonder why you're asking about a single game, though. The answer is just too difficult to say as it's too hard to single one guy out.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #36
Rysio
Local High School Star

Rysio has a very bad reputationRysio has a very bad reputationRysio has a very bad reputationRysio has a very bad reputation

brett favre is.
Rysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #37
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
That would be by an awfully shallow way to look at it, though. It would ignore:

-He was extremely clutch
-The Drive
-He played with little offensive talent until the end of his career
-He won a lot (held the record for wins when he retired)
-Only 2 losing seasons in his career
-He was a gunslinger who took chances, but he kind of had to
-Led his team to 5 SBs
-Won 2 SBs
-Won SB MVP
-Won MVP

Though, I guess the problem is the people who only look at stats.

So then the exact same can be said about Montana.

And not a SB. For like the fate of the world we have to play a football game, and we get to pick any player. I say it because it's a common hypothetical question used to measure athletes. It determines which among a group you tend to have more confidence in.

I can change it to which QB would you start a franchise with? I believe the answer is still Montana.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #38
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Nope, not Montana. I'd go with Marino. He obviously has the stats, but also the Dolphins only had 1 losing season with him and he did it without having much of a defense nor much of a running game in most of those seasons.

What is the hypothetical game? Who else is on the team and who is it against? If it's unknowns, then can't really go with Montana. I'd rather go with someone who wasn't surrounded by talent and a topnotch coach when he played. Montana had a top 10 defense in 8 of the 10 seasons he started most of the games for the Niners ('81-'90) and also had a top 10 rushing game in 7 of those 10 years. Granted it was a strike-shortened year, the Niners went 3-6 in the one season where they didn't have a top 10 defense nor a top 10 rushing game.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #39
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

So your criteria for a QB is if he was good at not being bad?

You think that Montana is far less talented because he had a good team? A top coach? Oh shit that eliminates quite a few QB's.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:01 AM   #40
Jackass18
The Iron Price

How did you get that is my criteria from that? Being able to put up numbers, winning, clutchness, performing under pressure, intelligence (football IQ or whatever you want to call it), great decision maker, accurate, great leadership abilities, etc... Yes, I know, Montana fills those, but there's more people than just Montana, and I feel that some others might be a better choice IMO. I don't think I've ever tried to rank a top 10. I always thought there was about 5 guys who are pretty much interchangeable for the top 5.

I don't remember saying Montana was far less talented. I'm saying if I have to pick a QB to lead a bunch of unknowns, then I'd go more for the guys who have basically done that and not someone who played on stacked teams with an all-time great coach. I want someone who's proven without being surrounded by great talent all the time.

Last edited by Jackass18 : 12-15-2012 at 02:07 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: