Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Marques Johnson?

Some one tell me about the man, who is Marques Johnson? He was more than an actor from "White Man Can Jump."

What was his game like, compare him to a recent player? How good of a defender was he? Did he have a go-to-move? What was his weakness, was he clutch?

He was an All-NBA first team selection in 1979 and twice more All-NBA 2nd team. At one time, he was voted as the best forward in the league by the coaches and his peers.

He was 6'7, very athletic, and was considered one of the best All-Around players in the league during his peak.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
RobertdeMeijer
Serious playground baller

RobertdeMeijer has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Marques Johnson?

I wish I watched him play
RobertdeMeijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
SHAQisGOAT
National High School Star

SHAQisGOAT has decent reputationSHAQisGOAT has decent reputation

All I can say is that, he was pretty athletic, big and strong, really good postgame, nice shooter from close and even mid range, could attack the basket, could create for himself, great rebounder, good passer and ballhandler, one of the first true point forwards in the game, also a good defensive player, not that big of a clutch player though. Had an amazing one 2 years peak and really good prime.

Think you can watch some games with him on youtube, even some highlights, featured also in some all star games top 10.
SHAQisGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
fpliii
LA Lakers Est. 1960

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

bump
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall is starting to rub some people the wrong way

What was his role in that classic movie?

I don't remember seeing him
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Carmelo without the hype.
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #7
Dr.J4ever
Justice4 the ABA

Dr.J4ever has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You

Nope, not close to being the shooter that Carmelo is. Saw him play head to head many times vs. Dr.J.. Johnson was an outstanding offensive player, though. Very much of an all around player, but I don't remember how good he was defensively. My guess is that he was not a very good defensive player.
Dr.J4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
WillC
Local High School Star

WillC is considered somewhat coolWillC is considered somewhat coolWillC is considered somewhat cool

He got hussled in a streetball scene in White Men Can't Jump and, as a result, pulls out a gun and chases everyone away. If I remember correctly.

As for his playing style, he was somewhat similar to a young Grant Hill (maybe not as athletic). He was a great all-rounder, excellent post-up player, one of the very first 'point forwards', solid rebounder.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You

Ridiculous. Couldn't have been much more different players.

Johnson's rep was built on tough defense and rebounding. He had a solid offensive game, built more on his ability to slash and score with power in the paint than anything else. One of the more feared players of his time. THE Enforcer, but a very skilled player as well.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
andremiller07
#Nenasty

andremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC
He got hussled in a streetball scene in White Men Can't Jump and, as a result, pulls out a gun and chases everyone away. If I remember correctly.
I think his name was Raymond in the movie if that's the guy your talking about
andremiller07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC

As for his playing style, he was somewhat similar to a young Grant Hill (maybe not as athletic). He was a great all-rounder, excellent post-up player, one of the very first 'point forwards', solid rebounder.

He tried to rob the liquor store. Owner kept telling him "I know it's you..."

He was bigger and much more physical than Grant Hill, much more of a power player and nothing close to a point forward.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
WillC
Local High School Star

WillC is considered somewhat coolWillC is considered somewhat coolWillC is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
He was bigger and much more physical than Grant Hill, much more of a power player and nothing close to a point forward.

That's just flat out wrong.

Maybe you should read this: http://www.webcitation.org/686MWqxoK

Marques Johnson was the player who first coined the term "point forward" to describe his style of play. Of course, you know better though, and he wasn't a point forward at all

"At the start of the playoffs, Don Nelson came up with the idea to initiate the offense through me at small forward," Johnson said. "So after we went through how we were going to make the adjustments to different plays, my response to Nellie was, 'OK, so instead of a point guard, I'm a point forward.' I remember his response clear as mud, like it was yesterday, saying back to me, 'Yeah. I like that. You're my point forward.' Junior Bridgeman was there -- you can ask him."

Meanwhile, Marques Johnson was 6'7" and 218lb. Grant Hill was 6'8" and 225lb.

So, once again, I'm not sure why you're making up stuff about Johnson being "bigger and much more physical" than Hill

Did you even watch Marques Johnson play?
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: