Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #16
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Anyone train combat sports?

All of my martial arts lessons come from Enter the Dragon and the first Ninja Turtles movie - http://youtu.be/2zP7AsjhBW8?t=4m28s - never lower your eyes to an enemy!
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #17
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
I've studied Arnis since I was 10 then took up Kenpo Karate at 18. Won State in 96. Also took discipline in Dumog and Tiger Style Kung fu. But Kenpo was where I ecxelled. I've trained with Keith Hackney
This was before the MMA craze. Traditional styles are a dying art, although I could probably still lay the boots to alot of these"MMA" artists
Never heard of Arnis, sounds interesting. I skimmed the wiki page, seems like its a mix of Judo, Karate and stick fighting. Odd thing to be into, was it something you sought out or did you just happen by it somehow and decided to stick with it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
I don't really practice, but I do own some Tapout and Affliction shirts which turn me into a BJJ ninja warrior. When I roll up at the bar with my bedazzled t-shirts all the bros know I can sprawl like a mother fcker.
Be cool bro, I don't want any trouble. I'm not suicidal enough to **** with someone with an Affliction or Tapout shirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
great thread, topic. i did kenpo for a year or two around HS / college, then some tai-chi afterwards. about all i remember now is some blocking / kicking / punching technique and fragments of kata routines.

would love to hear some of you guys' input in the MMA thread. i'm sure you would help make the conversation a little more technical and interesting...
Those routines are the exact reason I hated Karate as a kid. Then I got yelled at for punching a kid in the face during a sparring session (one of the very few) while he was decked out in protective gear, at that point I was done with it.

Last edited by Hazard : 12-12-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #18
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by spree43
training is for girls

the only way to learn how to fight is to go out and get in fights on the weekend

i know plenty of badass street fighters who would destroy any ufc fighter in the street, including chuck liddell and hoyce gracie

the rules ruin combat sports
I always felt that martial arts/self defense was for women, because women get raped, hassled by creeps, etc. Why does a guy need to know this stuff?

If anything, learn some basic boxing skills, how to thow a punch and avoid one. All you'll ever need.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #19
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
I always felt that martial arts/self defense was for women, because women get raped, hassled by creeps, etc. Why does a guy need to know this stuff?

If anything, learn some basic boxing skills, how to thow a punch and avoid one. All you'll ever need.
Cause you get to fight and not get arrested... self defense class != combat sports.

Last edited by Hazard : 12-12-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #20
Graviton
Cavs fan since 1970

Graviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic

To be a ****in badass knowing you can destroy fools if you ever need to. Roger Huerta destroyed that bigass dude that hit a girl. Pro fighters are basically superhuman with their reflexes and skills, they can own 99% of people out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmfXN588F98

If I ever start training seriously, I would probably go for Muai Thai and Judo, love using my elbows and knees more than punches.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #21
eppelp
I brick open layups

eppelp has decent reputationeppelp has decent reputation

Started with Muay Thai half a year ago. Really good all around workout and imo a lot more fun than lifting weights. Never understood why people assume combat sports are simply self-defence, they're a sport like any other (as the name implies) first and foremost.
eppelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #22
DropStep
Good High School Starter

DropStep has decent reputation

I train UFC and Just Bleedjitsu Bro.

I would love to learn a martial art but im too poor and dont have anyone willing roll around on the floor with me to learn BJJ.
DropStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #23
DonD13
GYMNAST

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

sometimes I do shadowboxing alone in my appartment :-/
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #24
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
To be a ****in badass knowing you can destroy fools if you ever need to. Roger Huerta destroyed that bigass dude that hit a girl. Pro fighters are basically superhuman with their reflexes and skills, they can own 99% of people out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmfXN588F98

If I ever start training seriously, I would probably go for Muai Thai and Judo, love using my elbows and knees more than punches.
With Judo you will learn how to do throws with very little effort which can potentially disable your opponent if he does not know how to break falls.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #25
Toizumi
veteran savvy

Toizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Been doing MMA for about 2,5 years now,with a few breaks in between, due to injuries and being really busy with work + study.

Bad stuff: Had a few trips to the hospital, with injuries to my legs and some skin infections as well.

The good stuff:
the training itself. Classes can be very mild, or very tough, depending on who gives the training and who you face during sparring. Not looking to fight matches, but I will do a grappling tournament in the short future. I grew up doing Judo as a kid, but played ball throughout my teens. I couldnt keep it up, because of being really busy and I couldnt always make it to training and games.. so I picked up MMA and did some kickboxing as well.

I like ground fighting a lot and follow extra grappling classes at another gym every now and then. Just had my first in gi BJJ class last monday and it was really heavy.. Definitely more exhausting than without gi. Maybe also because it was my first time.

Fighting is a lot of fun and it's a shame that I can't put more time into it. I train 2/3 times per week but that's about it. Other guys train 4/5 days and do multiple hours a day + do weights. I don't have that time due to being a student and working.

OP
Sambo is great. I only know of one dude that I sparred with who did Sambo, great wrestling and clinch control on the feet. Very different than BJJ/normal grappling. unorthodox, but efficient
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #26
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toizumi
Been doing MMA for about 2,5 years now,with a few breaks in between, due to injuries and being really busy with work + study.

Bad stuff: Had a few trips to the hospital, with injuries to my legs and some skin infections as well.

The good stuff:
the training itself. Classes can be very mild, or very tough, depending on who gives the training and who you face during sparring. Not looking to fight matches, but I will do a grappling tournament in the short future. I grew up doing Judo as a kid, but played ball throughout my teens. I couldnt keep it up, because of being really busy and I couldnt always make it to training and games.. so I picked up MMA and did some kickboxing as well.

I like ground fighting a lot and follow extra grappling classes at another gym every now and then. Just had my first in gi BJJ class last monday and it was really heavy.. Definitely more exhausting than without gi. Maybe also because it was my first time.

Fighting is a lot of fun and it's a shame that I can't put more time into it. I train 2/3 times per week but that's about it. Other guys train 4/5 days and do multiple hours a day + do weights. I don't have that time due to being a student and working.

OP
Sambo is great. I only know of one dude that I sparred with who did Sambo, great wrestling and clinch control on the feet. Very different than BJJ/normal grappling. unorthodox, but efficient
Sambo is very similar to Judo in the sense that they both implement a wide variety of throws, the difference is that Sambo allows leg locks and shoulder locks where in Judo that's considered a penalty. I think Sambo begins to seperate itself from everything else with its unique strikes. An example would be Fedor's beast haymaker or as some people call it; "Sambo Casting Punch". This is a pretty good video describing the technique behind it and why it can be so effective/deceptive.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #27
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 is considered somewhat coolAlphaWolf24 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1
Im a black belt in wwe. Thinking about going for a black belt in ufc too but I don't want to have to do that gay hugging thing they do on the ground

only gay if you make eye contact...
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #28
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Never heard of Arnis, sounds interesting. I skimmed the wiki page, seems like its a mix of Judo, Karate and stick fighting. Odd thing to be into, was it something you sought out or did you just happen by it somehow and decided to stick with it?

Arnis is filipino 2-stick fighting. It was actually the basis of kali and alot of basic hand movements incorperated with Jeet Kun Do. I was at it for quite a while, even instructed since my insrtuctor was a close family friend. We even instructed the police department in using batons

There it transitioned well into Kenpo relatively well since hand movements were virtually identical. I did that for most of my young adult and even competed and won state for my division.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #29
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spree43
training is for girls

the only way to learn how to fight is to go out and get in fights on the weekend

i know plenty of badass street fighters who would destroy any ufc fighter in the street, including chuck liddell and hoyce gracie

the rules ruin combat sports

no white text?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #30
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Arnis is filipino 2-stick fighting. It was actually the basis of kali and alot of basic hand movements incorperated with Jeet Kun Do. I was at it for quite a while, even instructed since my insrtuctor was a close family friend. We even instructed the police department in using batons

There it transitioned well into Kenpo relatively well since hand movements were virtually identical. I did that for most of my young adult and even competed and won state for my division.

How do you train with the sticks.....( sparring gear etc?)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: