Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #31
Just2McFly
By Any Means

Just2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this board
Default Re: Anyone train combat sports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
I always felt that martial arts/self defense was for women, because women get raped, hassled by creeps, etc. Why does a guy need to know this stuff?

If anything, learn some basic boxing skills, how to thow a punch and avoid one. All you'll ever need.
I'm contemplating a career in the military so I wanted to learn something along those lines. Still self defense teaches discipline, respect and makes you more confident knowing that you can help yourself AND OTHERS.
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #32
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Arnis is filipino 2-stick fighting. It was actually the basis of kali and alot of basic hand movements incorperated with Jeet Kun Do. I was at it for quite a while, even instructed since my insrtuctor was a close family friend. We even instructed the police department in using batons

There it transitioned well into Kenpo relatively well since hand movements were virtually identical. I did that for most of my young adult and even competed and won state for my division.
Does Kenpo incorporate a ground game? The one thing I don't like about Karate is that it has a lot of flash but very ineffective when taken to the ground, which is where a lot of fights tend to go if you're fighting someone with experience.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #33
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
If anything, learn some basic boxing skills, how to thow a punch and avoid one. All you'll ever need.
good luck when someone takes you to the ground and your boxing skills become instantly worthless.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #34
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
good luck when someone takes you to the ground and your boxing skills become instantly worthless.
Hah kinda like a rabbit trying to fight a python. Actually a rabbit would probably put up a better fight than someone shadow boxing in front of a mirror and claiming they have 'basic skills'.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #35
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

a rabbit would have basic instinct to survive instead of being distracted by fanciful notions.

a rabbit has those tremendously powerful back legs which it could use to create separation and escape if the opportunity is right. :P
Old 12-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #36
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

Are you the kind of guys that go tolling at night for fights with meatheads? Seriously, how often do you fight where you need advanced ground skills? LOL!
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #37
gigantes
A piece of fluff

who said anything about "advanced ground skills?"
Old 12-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #38
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Quote:
Are you the kind of guys that go tolling at night for fights with meatheads? Seriously, how often do you fight where you need advanced ground skills? LOL!
I haven't fought anyone in years, I was never worried about someone trying to fight me. I fight cause I enjoy it, not because I have the urge to beat up meatheads.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #39
LT Ice Cream
Warriors Til I Die

LT Ice Cream has decent reputationLT Ice Cream has decent reputation

Trained Muay Thai for a couple years and fought in Thailand once:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMY0Hmk3IXs
(skip to 3:30 for fight)
LT Ice Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #40
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

Quote:

- "Boxing"..( or bieng able to use your hands effectively) is a great skill or technique to have.

- But as Mixed Martial Arts have shown us over and over......knowing 1 aspect of fighting is never good.....and knowing how to Jab and Hook against a Bigger opponent is pretty much worthless..especially if they can close on you and take you to the earth.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #41
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

STATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
- "Boxing"..( or bieng able to use your hands effectively) is a great skill or technique to have.

- But as Mixed Martial Arts have shown us over and over......knowing 1 aspect of fighting is never good.....and knowing how to Jab and Hook against a Bigger opponent is pretty much worthless..especially if they can close on you and take you to the earth.

there's very few street fighting situations where you wanna be on the ground with the other guy

knowing how to box is the best weapon to have cause most fights will end with a couple well placed punches.. even against a bigger guy.

Size =/= chins
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #42
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Wrestling, Tae Kwon Do, kickboxing, boxing, bjj, varying degrees of proficiency from intermediate to advanced.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #43
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Arnis is filipino 2-stick fighting. It was actually the basis of kali and alot of basic hand movements incorperated with Jeet Kun Do. I was at it for quite a while, even instructed since my insrtuctor was a close family friend. We even instructed the police department in using batons

There it transitioned well into Kenpo relatively well since hand movements were virtually identical. I did that for most of my young adult and even competed and won state for my division.

My Filipino homie keeps a couple of those sticks next to his bed for protection, those things are seriously dangerous, you can instantly inflict the worst pain ever on someone that's trying to run up on you. Bone shattering.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #44
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT Ice Cream
Trained Muay Thai for a couple years and fought in Thailand once:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMY0Hmk3IXs
(skip to 3:30 for fight)
That's pretty sick, who won? I'm assuming you're the lighter gentleman.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #45
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
How do you train with the sticks.....( sparring gear etc?)

Never trained with gear unless we open hand sparred
Here is a sample:

Arnis

As you can see in the open hand part, anyone who is familiar with Kenpo it's very similar, probably why I excelled at it
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: