Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
Immortal Bum
Decent playground baller

Immortal Bum has not been impressing people
Default Re: Scientists Plan Test to See if The Universe is a Simulation

someone had to give credit to a god...
Immortal Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #17
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Bum
someone had to give credit to a god...
If its any consolation, the notion was brought up as a supposition.. beginning with 'If God Exists...'
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #18
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

Theoretical science: Making satire redundant since 1927.

Talk about something that has run its course and then some.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
It all seems pretty obvious none of this is real. Matrix came pretty close, but i'm not so sure about the whole machines part, but i do believe this is all some sort of virtual reality.

I think, therefore I am.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #21
TheeBeast
Local High School Star

TheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
I think, therefore I am.

I am, therefore I think.
TheeBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #22
TheeBeast
Local High School Star

TheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this board

I'll answer the question of "are we real?" with basic linguistics:

What does the word "real" really mean? If we are a simulation, couldn't we still be [what we define as] real?

After all WE are the one's who made the word, so as we define ourselves. We are REAL- a word that only applies to this universe and nothing beyond our own comprehension.

*Damn, my head hurts now

Last edited by TheeBeast : 12-13-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #23
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBeast
I'll answer the question of "are we real?" with basic linguistics:

What does the word "real" really mean? If we are a simulation, couldn't we still be [what we define as] real?

After all WE are the one's who made the word, so as we define ourselves. We are REAL- a word that only applies to this universe and nothing beyond our own comprehension.

*Damn, my head hurts now

You could have just said Cogito ergo sum, that essentially sums it up.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #24
BEAST Griffin
SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING

BEAST Griffin is considered somewhat coolBEAST Griffin is considered somewhat coolBEAST Griffin is considered somewhat cool

So am I a human plugged into a machine or some alien creature plugged into a machine that makes me a human in this false reality?
BEAST Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #25
TheeBeast
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAST Griffin
So am I a human plugged into a machine or some alien creature plugged into a machine that makes me a human in this false reality?

We just explained. Your word "false" [as WE define it as] was used incorrectly used. The words true and false only apply to our universe and nothing beyond it.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #26
BEAST Griffin
SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING

BEAST Griffin is considered somewhat coolBEAST Griffin is considered somewhat coolBEAST Griffin is considered somewhat cool

How could scientists determine if this is a simulation with tools made in this simulation?
BEAST Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #27
TheeBeast
Local High School Star

Quote:
How could scientists determine if this is a simulation with tools made in this simulation?
They're trolling us
Old 12-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #28
TheeBeast
Local High School Star

Or they want publicity, I mean they probably already know we aren't in the first place.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #29
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

the tools are just for collecting data and analysis, i think what they are actually doing is seeing if there are similarities between how the universe functions and how computer simulations function. they are even hypothesizing that we are a simulation within a simulation within a simulation and so on since we are working on creating simulations ourselves (thus eventually leading to another level of sub-simulation underneath ours).

Quote:
Professor Martin Savage at the University of Washington says while our own computer simulations can only model a universe on the scale of an atom's nucleus, there are already "signatures of resource constraints" which could tell us if larger models are possible.

This is where it gets complex.

Essentially, Savage said that computers used to build simulations perform "lattice quantum chromodynamics calculations" - dividing space into a four-dimensional grid. Doing so allows researchers to examine the force which binds subatomic particles together into neutrons and protons - but it also allows things to happen in the simulation, including the development of complex physical "signatures", that researchers don't program directly into the computer. In looking for these signatures, such as limitations on the energy held by cosmic rays, they hope to find similarities within our own universe.

And if such signatures do appear in both? Boot up, baby. We're inside a computer. (Maybe).

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_2282745.html
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #30
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So many possibilities for our existence that it's laughable to hear people talk about something from nothing (big bang) as factual. Our lives and world around us is infinite and always has been. Time is just merely a man-made creation in his aid to keep track of things.

I think in death comes the true revelation. Our natural curiosity and thirst for knowledge extends far beyond the realms of this world and will never ever be quenched.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: