Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 12-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Article: Mike Brown says Kobe Bryant made him a better coach

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...tory?track=rss

Quote:
Brown said he was grateful for his time with the Lakers and Kobe Bryant.

"I had a good time working with Kobe," he said. "I really felt like I learned a lot. He is a guy that is extremely intelligent and extremely intense. In my opinion, when you are around people like that, they only push you to get better and so being around him I really felt like he made me a better coach."

I've always liked Mike Brown as a person because of his "human" side.

He knew that he wasn't a good coach and humbly admit that on several occasions. In Cleveland when they were doing well with Lebron, Mike Brown would say "He's so amazing, he makes me look like I can coach".

Now as he left the lakers, in a way which appeared to be humiliating to the whole world, he still has a lot to thank them for, and even says Kobe taught him a lot.

I wish this man success, with whatever he pursues in life.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia

Dictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this board
Default Re: Article: Mike Brown says Kobe Bryant made him a better coach

If I had his payroll, I'd be happy too.
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator
If I had his payroll, I'd be happy too.

Hahahaha. 3 years of 4 mill each. Not having to get off the couch. Why can't other companies that hire off contracts do that? Makes me angry sometimes thinking about corporate America. The part that "nobodies" like you and I are a part of....grr
Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...tory?track=rss

I've always liked Mike Brown as a person because of his "human" side.

He knew that he wasn't a good coach and humbly admit that on several occasions. In Cleveland when they were doing well with Lebron, Mike Brown would say "He's so amazing, he makes me look like I can coach".

Now as he left the lakers, in a way which appeared to be humiliating to the whole world, he still has a lot to thank them for, and even says Kobe taught him a lot.

I wish this man success, with whatever he pursues in life.

1. I told you from the start that the guy was a moron who couldn't coach at all.

2. I told you that when Kobe was out and the team went on a winning streak that it was because Kobe was coaching.

3. Mike Brown is a nice person who should never get a NBA head coaching job again as long as he lives.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
1. I told you from the start that the guy was a moron who couldn't coach at all.

2. I told you that when Kobe was out and the team went on a winning streak that it was because Kobe was coaching.

3. Mike Brown is a nice person who should never get a NBA head coaching job again as long as he lives.

I agree with number 1 (minus the moron part)

I agree with number 2

I can never agree with number three....

Your number three is a statement that says "what you see is what you always get" with any person. It dismisses the fact that people can get better and improve at something. I've never been a good chemistry student. On my third try I am about to finish the class with a B. It took three tries but I improved.

People get better DK. There is always room to improve if you are not the best. Anyone can become the best if they have the desire.

He may not have been the coach for this team because this team was a championship caliber team. He is still not yet a championship caliber coach. I do feel one day he may be a coach that many pursue after more experiences elsewhere.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Gosh, I missed this message board....
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #7
DKLaker

Quote:
I agree with number 1 (minus the moron part)

I agree with number 2

I can never agree with number three....

Your number three is a statement that says "what you see is what you always get" with any person. It dismisses the fact that people can get better and improve at something. I've never been a good chemistry student. On my third try I am about to finish the class with a B. It took three tries but I improved.

People get better DK. There is always room to improve if you are not the best. Anyone can become the best if they have the desire.

He may not have been the coach for this team because this team was a championship caliber team. He is still not yet a championship caliber coach. I do feel one day he may be a coach that many pursue after more experiences elsewhere.

I don't think he has the mentality to be a head coach......he has been around the game way too long to understand as little as he does, he doesn't even comprehend most of the basics.......maybe if he lived to be 150 he could be a good coach.....just maybe by then. Seriously, any coach can see this guy doesn't understand the game.

Idiot/Moron is in reference to his basketball I.Q
Old 12-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
I don't think he has the mentality to be a head coach......he has been around the game way too long to understand as little as he does, he doesn't even comprehend most of the basics.......maybe if he lived to be 150 he could be a good coach.....just maybe by then. Seriously, any coach can see this guy doesn't understand the game.

Idiot/Moron is in reference to his basketball I.Q

Well thats a reasonable claim, that you DON'T THINK he has the mentality. We've all been wrong before. Don't you remember an inexperienced man who built an empire that won two championships? That man was Mitch Kuptchak. Everyone wanted his head before. Since the Gasol trade, just that one trade, he didn't ever need to do anything else to be questioned. Yet he delivered again and again. He didn't start off that good. He waited for "it" to come to him.

Brown's defensive schemes are good. It wouldn't take too long to develop a nice offense for himself.

The biggest issue with Brown is not that he doesn't understand the game. Any dedicated fan at the arena level understands the game. You and I understand the game. Everyone into basketball understands the game. However, I mentioned a long time ago that not anyone can be a leader. Not everyone can be influential.
Brown is a hard worker, but he is not influential. He can't command the respect to be a head coach. He also does not know what to do with the gifts given to him. He didn't know how to manage his roster that had too much talent on it. That's what the problem was.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
DKLaker

Quote:
Well thats a reasonable claim, that you DON'T THINK he has the mentality. We've all been wrong before. Don't you remember an inexperienced man who built an empire that won two championships? That man was Mitch Kuptchak. Everyone wanted his head before. Since the Gasol trade, just that one trade, he didn't ever need to do anything else to be questioned. Yet he delivered again and again. He didn't start off that good. He waited for "it" to come to him.

Brown's defensive schemes are good. It wouldn't take too long to develop a nice offense for himself.

The biggest issue with Brown is not that he doesn't understand the game. Any dedicated fan at the arena level understands the game. You and I understand the game. Everyone into basketball understands the game. However, I mentioned a long time ago that not anyone can be a leader. Not everyone can be influential.
Brown is a hard worker, but he is not influential. He can't command the respect to be a head coach. He also does not know what to do with the gifts given to him. He didn't know how to manage his roster that had too much talent on it. That's what the problem was.

No, not to offend but there aren't many fans who really understand the game other than the obvious stuff. A true understanding has to be taught.
Just because a person flies in an airplane on a weekly basis for 30 years doesn't mean they can fly a plane
What we are talking about is a much higher level of basketball knowledge, being able to coach, Brown's understanding of the game at a coaching level is beneath most fans and at this point in his life if he hasn't learned more than that, he won't. Trust me, the things I say are things that good coaches understand....not fans, so I really don't expect you to understand....no offense intended.
Mike Brown didn't know how to manage a roster? Duh....he didn't know how to manage a roster with Cleveland....I noticed how horrible a coach he was back then....I seriously used to laugh at him and my NBA guys also laughed at him.....his incompetence was glaring. Kurt Rambis was just as bad in his Lakers stint as head coach.....when guys said they wanted him to be the Lakers coach again I was
So no surprise that he failed again.....he cannot coach!!!

As for influential.........if the players know you don't know WTF you are talking about, how the hell can you influence them in a positive way.......remember the photo of the Lakers practice where the guys were looking at him like WTF? Brown = nice man, no BB IQ........... Here Ya go.....photo:
Old 12-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
No, not to offend but there aren't many fans who really understand the game other than the obvious stuff. A true understanding has to be taught.
Just because a person flies in an airplane on a weekly basis for 30 years doesn't mean they can fly a plane
What we are talking about is a much higher level of basketball knowledge, being able to coach, Brown's understanding of the game at a coaching level is beneath most fans and at this point in his life if he hasn't learned more than that, he won't. Trust me, the things I say are things that good coaches understand....not fans, so I really don't expect you to understand....no offense intended.
Mike Brown didn't know how to manage a roster? Duh....he didn't know how to manage a roster with Cleveland....I noticed how horrible a coach he was back then....I seriously used to laugh at him and my NBA guys also laughed at him.....his incompetence was glaring. Kurt Rambis was just as bad in his Lakers stint as head coach.....when guys said they wanted him to be the Lakers coach again I was
So no surprise that he failed again.....he cannot coach!!!

As for influential.........if the players know you don't know WTF you are talking about, how the hell can you influence them in a positive way.......remember the photo of the Lakers practice where the guys were looking at him like WTF? Brown = nice man, no BB IQ........... Here Ya go.....photo:

For the record, I never wanted Kurt Rambis to be coach. Guys like Shaq used to complain that most of his practices were running his players. I wouldn't want a guy like that to be the voice of the team. He's also a great defensive mind. Built a defensive scheme for Phil that fell in line with Phil's offense. That was one of the most spectacular defensive schemes I'd ever seen. But I agree, I wouldn't want him to coach.

As for understanding the game. This is where we will disagree. Basketball can be as simple as knowing what move to make at what time when other players make decisions. It is simply a game of chemistry. How does this person react when this guy moves in that direction. Its about spacing, and having players play where they are comfortable. So I don't see why you think nobody understands the game as much as you do. It's a bit arrogant to make that claim when you know none of us who post on here. I may not know the 80's basketball history and earlier. I guess you can blame my parents for having me 1987. But never question my love, knowledge, and passion for the game. Secondly, never question my love for the lakers as a fan, even if my ideas are completely conflicting with yours. These are things which you do not know of. You have never coached an NBA game, and yet you have harsh criticisms of MB, so let me use this standard to my advantage for a second and say that just because you coached AAU basketball doesn't make you a more "knowledgable" person than any fan who posts on here. Back in the day we had great posters who knew a lot about the game just by understanding basketball how it was played under Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, and other great names who brought intelligent high IQ basketball to Los Angeles.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
DKLaker

Quote:
For the record, I never wanted Kurt Rambis to be coach. Guys like Shaq used to complain that most of his practices were running his players. I wouldn't want a guy like that to be the voice of the team. He's also a great defensive mind. Built a defensive scheme for Phil that fell in line with Phil's offense. That was one of the most spectacular defensive schemes I'd ever seen. But I agree, I wouldn't want him to coach.

As for understanding the game. This is where we will disagree. Basketball can be as simple as knowing what move to make at what time when other players make decisions. It is simply a game of chemistry. How does this person react when this guy moves in that direction. Its about spacing, and having players play where they are comfortable. So I don't see why you think nobody understands the game as much as you do. It's a bit arrogant to make that claim when you know none of us who post on here. I may not know the 80's basketball history and earlier. I guess you can blame my parents for having me 1987. But never question my love, knowledge, and passion for the game. Secondly, never question my love for the lakers as a fan, even if my ideas are completely conflicting with yours. These are things which you do not know of. You have never coached an NBA game, and yet you have harsh criticisms of MB, so let me use this standard to my advantage for a second and say that just because you coached AAU basketball doesn't make you a more "knowledgable" person than any fan who posts on here. Back in the day we had great posters who knew a lot about the game just by understanding basketball how it was played under Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, and other great names who brought intelligent high IQ basketball to Los Angeles.

Well again....I do try not to offend good folks like you who think you know a helluva lot more than they do and will not listen, no matter how much someone else is right well in advance.
Being a very highly successful coach for over 25 years at any level means you are a good coach.....now arguing coaching with someone who knows nothing about coaching is a waste of time that I am no longer going to bother with.
As for my qualifications to discuss NBA coaching....well let's see.....I have discussed players and strategy with some of the greatest minds in the game since the early 1960's, this continues today.....current NBA players, ex-NBA players, current NBA coaches, former coaches, former GMs and other NBA execs. Over time through experience and lengthy discussions about the game I managed to learn a ton about the game, when I talk to guys now we have the same views which are quite often contrary to the stuff being said on here......but I am amused by some of it. When I was young, some of the stuff I thought about, I now laugh about....the difference between the loyal fan brain and the experienced coach brain......I know the difference.
I am still sought out to teach and train players aside from my normal coaching...yes I even have turned down opportunities to work with pros on a regular basis although I have helped. One player, a former Laker who is still in the NBA.....I gave a hell NO to because I think he is who he is and is beyond help.....I don't know why he still has a job, he sucks!!!

Now, I have NEVER questioned your loyalty to the team, you are a great FAN and your rose colored glasses look at the team, coaches and ownership reminds me of myself as a kid.....I do not mean that as an insult.....if you want to think you know more about the game that I do, then please.....have fun with that.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Well again....I do try not to offend good folks like you who think you know a helluva lot more than they do and will not listen, no matter how much someone else is right well in advance.
Being a very highly successful coach for over 25 years at any level means you are a good coach.....now arguing coaching with someone who knows nothing about coaching is a waste of time that I am no longer going to bother with.
As for my qualifications to discuss NBA coaching....well let's see.....I have discussed players and strategy with some of the greatest minds in the game since the early 1960's, this continues today.....current NBA players, ex-NBA players, current NBA coaches, former coaches, former GMs and other NBA execs. Over time through experience and lengthy discussions about the game I managed to learn a ton about the game, when I talk to guys now we have the same views which are quite often contrary to the stuff being said on here......but I am amused by some of it. When I was young, some of the stuff I thought about, I now laugh about....the difference between the loyal fan brain and the experienced coach brain......I know the difference.
I am still sought out to teach and train players aside from my normal coaching...yes I even have turned down opportunities to work with pros on a regular basis although I have helped. One player, a former Laker who is still in the NBA.....I gave a hell NO to because I think he is who he is and is beyond help.....I don't know why he still has a job, he sucks!!!

Now, I have NEVER questioned your loyalty to the team, you are a great FAN and your rose colored glasses look at the team, coaches and ownership reminds me of myself as a kid.....I do not mean that as an insult.....if you want to think you know more about the game that I do, then please.....have fun with that.

Well without sarcasm, I suppose you're suggesting that everyone on here, myself included, should just ask for perm bans and never post on here again, just because none of us have extensive coaching experience on any level.

On the other hand it seems that every single problem on this team that happens, whether it is a player mindlessly turning a ball over, not boxing out to get a rebound, and a player doing something completely stupid is 100% on the coach and not necessarily the player. You even backed Bynum for shooting a three. A three pointer that was nowhere near going in. One of his very few attempts in his entire 7 year career, and you specifically said "Kobe said he makes those all the time in practice. MB is an idiot for pulling him out of the game." Then when a player does whatever he wants out there, you would fault MB for "not yanking the player out because he's a weak personality". It's all double standards. You even said Bynum was held down by MB, when Bynum had his best season ever under coach MB. Only to find out shortly after when Bynum said that Kobe is the one who stunted his growth. But hey, because I am not a coach, and you are, I am not allowed to open my mouth on a public forum that is made to discuss the game of basketball as a whole. Not just the coaching aspect of the game.

Other than my essay, I am honestly 100% at a loss for words because it just baffles me that you can tweak so many different reasons, leading them back to the coach. When Phil Jackson dies, are the lakers just supposed to stop playing basketball because every other coach in the league is an idiot?
Old 12-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #13
DKLaker

Quote:
Well without sarcasm, I suppose you're suggesting that everyone on here, myself included, should just ask for perm bans and never post on here again, just because none of us have extensive coaching experience on any level.

On the other hand it seems that every single problem on this team that happens, whether it is a player mindlessly turning a ball over, not boxing out to get a rebound, and a player doing something completely stupid is 100% on the coach and not necessarily the player. You even backed Bynum for shooting a three. A three pointer that was nowhere near going in. One of his very few attempts in his entire 7 year career, and you specifically said "Kobe said he makes those all the time in practice. MB is an idiot for pulling him out of the game." Then when a player does whatever he wants out there, you would fault MB for "not yanking the player out because he's a weak personality". It's all double standards. You even said Bynum was held down by MB, when Bynum had his best season ever under coach MB. Only to find out shortly after when Bynum said that Kobe is the one who stunted his growth. But hey, because I am not a coach, and you are, I am not allowed to open my mouth on a public forum that is made to discuss the game of basketball as a whole. Not just the coaching aspect of the game.

Other than my essay, I am honestly 100% at a loss for words because it just baffles me that you can tweak so many different reasons, leading them back to the coach. When Phil Jackson dies, are the lakers just supposed to stop playing basketball because every other coach in the league is an idiot?

Don't act like a troll, you know Gdamn well I have never questioned the right of anyone to post their opinion on here be it right or insane.....I know the same is not true for you as great as you have been as a Mod.

Now when someone comes up with a ridiculous lack of understanding of coaching fundamentals, I am likely to comment. If someone insists they know about 80's basketball but are way off in the cornfield with ridiculousness.....again I will at least try to correct them.
Hey, if I went onto a soccer forum, I would have to listen to those who knew more and learn....I sure as hell wouldn't argue with them

There are a lot of coaches in the NBA that I like, even one that I like a lot more than Phil......it pisses me off that we signed the worst 2 available coaches.
I don't understand your rants, you don't seem to be able to understand what I say no matter how detailed I am. With Bynum shooting 3's I told a lengthy story of coaching players in that situation and how it should be handled.
I have explained to you WHY your logic is wrong about comparing stats to the situation....you don't get it.....probably never will. I would suggest you spend time coaching and just maybe it will open your eyes......then maybe you'll be able to identify obvious incompetence like MB or a failed system like 'Antoni....obviously I knew before their first Lakers game what was going to happen.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #14
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Don't act like a troll, you know Gdamn well I have never questioned the right of anyone to post their opinion on here be it right or insane.....I know the same is not true for you as great as you have been as a Mod.

Now when someone comes up with a ridiculous lack of understanding of coaching fundamentals, I am likely to comment. If someone insists they know about 80's basketball but are way off in the cornfield with ridiculousness.....again I will at least try to correct them.
Hey, if I went onto a soccer forum, I would have to listen to those who knew more and learn....I sure as hell wouldn't argue with them

There are a lot of coaches in the NBA that I like, even one that I like a lot more than Phil......it pisses me off that we signed the worst 2 available coaches.
I don't understand your rants, you don't seem to be able to understand what I say no matter how detailed I am. With Bynum shooting 3's I told a lengthy story of coaching players in that situation and how it should be handled.
I have explained to you WHY your logic is wrong about comparing stats to the situation....you don't get it.....probably never will. I would suggest you spend time coaching and just maybe it will open your eyes......then maybe you'll be able to identify obvious incompetence like MB or a failed system like 'Antoni....obviously I knew before their first Lakers game what was going to happen.

DK, look around you. Have you noticed this forum is about 85% you and I going back and forth? Everytime someone else has an opinion, you go on about how they wouldn't know because they haven't coached. I also share the blame on that because most of our posts involve us both getting aggressive with basketball. Re-read what you wrote...its absolutely ridiculous. Its just a forum. Take it easy. No team is going to give you a coaching job for being aggressive in a forum full of complete strangers.

Basketball is fun. So help make the forum fun and take it easy with this "you don't know anything" garbage. I can take it....Im still here aren't I? When you do that with strangers though, there's a a very thin line that you don't just cross, but you cross, you rape your opponent's mother, and then you cross back over the line again. So if you're going to do that coaching thing, pick your opponent that actually can read through that crap so you don't drive people away with that aggressive nonsense.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #15
DKLaker

Quote:
DK, look around you. Have you noticed this forum is about 85% you and I going back and forth? Everytime someone else has an opinion, you go on about how they wouldn't know because they haven't coached. I also share the blame on that because most of our posts involve us both getting aggressive with basketball. Re-read what you wrote...its absolutely ridiculous. Its just a forum. Take it easy. No team is going to give you a coaching job for being aggressive in a forum full of complete strangers.

Basketball is fun. So help make the forum fun and take it easy with this "you don't know anything" garbage. I can take it....Im still here aren't I? When you do that with strangers though, there's a a very thin line that you don't just cross, but you cross, you rape your opponent's mother, and then you cross back over the line again. So if you're going to do that coaching thing, pick your opponent that actually can read through that crap so you don't drive people away with that aggressive nonsense.

I made a statement based off your statement that any arena level fan knows the game....in reference to coaching......that is laughable.
I can hold my own in conversations on a huge range of topics but I couldn't TEACH them or function as an expert.....so when I am around those who know more or are directly connected I listen, ask questions and learn. I do not try to push arguments where I clearly am under-informed......I would have absolutely nothing to gain by doing that. Now sometimes, especially when it comes to coaching, I will have the best insight.......when it comes to anything Michigan/Midwest related I know dd24 knows more than me....so I listen. Many others on here have their strengths or have great insight in different basketball related areas....I enjoy and respect that, quite often I will compliment them for bringing up things that I didn't even consider.
What I really don't respect is someone who has absolutely no idea what they are talking about in an area who will continue a clearly ridiculous misguided argument......this is a time they should listen and hopefully learn.
Seriously....if I argued with you by saying that everyone in Egypt is Jewish....and kept continuing no matter what was explained.....how would you feel???? It would be completely insane to say such clueless things and a waste of time.....right? Sometimes very intelligent people don't know certain subjects....it's ok. Having the sense to listen to others, to learn is

Now if you want to know WHY this place is dead.....look at the team's record and how they are playing.......look at the coach we have and the one we fired. I guarantee you that if we were winning and had a good coach this place would be jumping. There's really not much to say about the team right now and not much hope. If we beat a good team....watch things perk up........beating Charlotte by 1 after trailing by 18 is not going to cut it
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: