Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
Clifton
talk less, say more

Default Re: BREAKING: Potential Habitatual Planet found orbiting Nearby star

Quote:
I like how they say its only 12 light years away! Its the closest one! 12 light years means IF... IF we ever figure out light speed travel, which is probably impossible. We will get there in 12 years on this magical space ship with infinite food and fuel.
We wouldn't get there via linear travel in space. It would involve jumping around in the fabric of space, which I do think is possible. It's hard to imagine it being possible to do that and come out on the other side intact in our lifetimes, but Kennedy said we were going to the moon and less than a decade later we were there. And this was 50 years ago.

And in case you think, "That defies my experience of the physical world, so there's no way," how does nuclear energy gel with your experience of the physical world? Or even electricity, and light?

I think the way we experience space and time is very different from how it actually works; and I also think that, as with subatomic particles, while we'll never be able to really experience or understand them, we may be able to tap into their potential enough to use our knowledge to do something crazy like skip around in space.

Last edited by Clifton : 12-19-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #17
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
You just described my trip to Kentucky 3 years ago.

No one else laughed - but hot damn dude - LMAO.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #18
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton
We wouldn't get there via linear travel in space. It would involve jumping around in the fabric of space, which I do think is possible. It's hard to imagine it being possible to do that and come out on the other side intact in our lifetimes, but Kennedy said we were going to the moon and less than a decade later we were there. And this was 50 years ago.

And in case you think, "That defies my experience of the physical world, so there's no way," how does nuclear energy gel with your experience of the physical world? Or even electricity, and light?

I think the way we experience space and time is very different from how it actually works; and I also think that, as with subatomic particles, while we'll never be able to really experience or understand them, we may be able to tap into their potential enough to use our knowledge to do something crazy like skip around in space.

Traveling to the moon some 250k miles away is one thing (which is still considered a worthy conspiracy theory if we ever even landed or not mind you) and traveling some 12 light years away... come on man, apples and oranges I don't care what time frame we're living in.

We'll NEVER have the capacity to travel those distances, period. I don't mean to rain down on you Star Trek nerds parades, but wake the fu*k up.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #19
Patrick Chewing
Knicks fan since 1981

Until I see it with my own two eyes and I'm drinking its rich frosty waters and feel the water run down my chin and neck and I can see myself in the reflection...I don't believe it. Till then, this rock under our feet is all we got.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
Traveling to the moon some 250k miles away is one thing (which is still considered a worthy conspiracy theory if we ever even landed or not mind you) and traveling some 12 light years away... come on man, apples and oranges I don't care what time frame we're living in.

We'll NEVER have the capacity to travel those distances, period. I don't mean to rain down on you Star Trek nerds parades, but wake the fu*k up.
Thank you, well said.

Like that mofo is basically talking about wormholes. How in the hell does anyone expect to be able to jump into some sort of black hole type thing and come out alive on the other side? And where would the other end be? How would we determine where we would come out of? Wouldn't we have to go to that place first and then set up a receiving end to the worm hole? Other wise we would pop out in random spots, like in the middle of a star or something.

We is stuck here on earth. No one is coming to visit us and we aint going anywhere. Space is just too big. People think its our ultimate "destiny" to traverse galaxies etc... Our destiny is to eat, shit and bang each other until we cant anymore and then die. Its a sad truth.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #21
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
Thank you, well said.

Like that mofo is basically talking about wormholes. How in the hell does anyone expect to be able to jump into some sort of black hole type thing and come out alive on the other side? And where would the other end be? How would we determine where we would come out of? Wouldn't we have to go to that place first and then set up a receiving end to the worm hole? Other wise we would pop out in random spots, like in the middle of a star or something.

We is stuck here on earth. No one is coming to visit us and we aint going anywhere. Space is just too big. People think its our ultimate "destiny" to traverse galaxies etc... Our destiny is to eat, shit and bang each other until we cant anymore and then die. Its a sad truth.

Well Merry Fukcing Christmas to you too.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

Quote:
Well Merry Fukcing Christmas to you too.
I guess what im saying could be interpreted as APPRECIATE WHAT YOU HAVE. Freaking humans, always want something.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #23
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
I guess what im saying could be interpreted as APPRECIATE WHAT YOU HAVE. Freaking humans, always want something.

It's our nature. We're born explorers.

rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #24
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
It's our nature. We're born explorers.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #25
Godzuki
Very good NBA starter

hate to say it but these reports have gotten old. i used to get sort of excited by stuff like this but after the 1000th report of possible life on a planet that goes nowhere its just same old everyday pointless news
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #26
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

rofl we cant even explore the deepest parts of our seas and go back to the moon and we expect to go to some distant galaxy 12 light years away hahaha
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: