Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
IamRAMBO24
College superstar

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default In defense of gun rights by John Lott

John Lott: More Guns, Less Crime!

“….In a talk given on the very day a gunman was apprehended at the University of Austin, American senior research scientist at the University of Maryland and gun rights expert John Lott explains why guns bans only serve to increase gun crime rates, why the pilots should be armed, and how statistics prove that since the DC handgun ban was lifted, there has been a dramatic drop in the murder rate.

Lott points to his research which proves that there isn’t a place in the world where a gun ban lowers gun crime, in fact stricter firearms regulation habitually leads to an increase in murder rates, because the only people who follow such regulations are law-abiding citizens who turn in their guns and thus leave themselves vulnerable to armed criminals who don’t obey the law.

Speaking on the subject of pilots being armed, Lott points out that up until 1979, pilots were mandated to carry with them a loaded handgun and throughout decades of this policy there is not one example handguns causing a problem on an airliner, demolishing the innumerable “what if” hypothetical arguments of those who oppose arming the pilots, as well as the arguments against having concealed carry on college campuses.

Lott details statistics that show since the Washington DC handgun ban was lifted, there has been a huge drop in murder rates, a fact that has received virtually no news coverage in the anti-second amendment establishment media. Crimes using guns since the ban was lifted fell by about three times as fast as other crimes not involving guns. Alternatively, since the Chicago gun ban in 1982, Lott documents how gun crime soared in both Chicago and surrounding areas……”
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: In defense of gun rights by John Lott

Question for pro gun right supporters.

What's the big f*kin deal?

Why do you guys get so angry at the notion of either banning certain guns or making it tougher to obtain them legally?

Years ago I had some dude tell me "what's your hobby?" I said basketball, "imagine if they banned basketball."

That's exactly what he told me.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
IamRAMBO24
College superstar

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923

Why do you guys get so angry at the notion of either banning certain guns or making it tougher to obtain them legally?

Years ago I had some dude tell me "what's your hobby?" I said basketball, "imagine if they banned basketball."

I support guns because I want to protect myself. Why is this so hard for you to understand ..

I'm not going to shoot up some stupid movie or a school; I just want to have the right to defend myself when my life is on the line. This is the same reason why I wear a seat belt; this is the same reason why I look both ways when I cross the street. It is my life. It is my responsibility to protect myself, not the government or anybody else.

Y'know those kids; do you know who was in the best position to protect them .. not the government .. it was the parents, teachers, and responsible adults within their vicinity. It was Adam Lanza's parents who were responsible for keeping the guns away from him, and if he did bring the guns to school, if the school had an armed, fully trained personnel on the scene, most likely the outcome would of been different.

Many people keep on blaming it on mental illness or the easy access to guns, but many fail to realize the main motive on why he did what he did.

He did it because he could.

It is as simple as that; people kill, rape, rob, etc. because they think they can get away with it. It's human nature.

If someone was on the scene to stop him, it would of been done; the fact the entire school was defenseless, including the children, he had free reign to murder at will.

If only one person had the will and a gun to be there when they heard the first shot ... just imagine.

Last edited by IamRAMBO24 : 12-19-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923

I'm a gun guy. And frankly I don't disagree with you. I'd have little issue with making getting your license more difficult. I'm also not opposed to certain weapon bans, but probably not to the degree you'd be looking for, seeing as I own an AR15. But yeah, fully automatic bans I understand.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Assault weapons and hollow point, armor piercing bullets should be limited to the military, period.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

100 years from now, the title will be "In defense of homemade nuclear weapons".
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Are you John Lott? Because John Lott has a long history of pretending to be other people on internet to defend his work, in fact if you type "john lott so" into google, auto recommend will give you "john lott sockpuppet."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_(Internet)

Quote:
Between 2000 and 2003, John Lott, author of More Guns, Less Crime, made numerous posts under the sockpuppet name "Mary Rosh." "Rosh" praised Lott's views and disputed with his critics on Usenet, posting laudatory reviews of Lott's books and panning those of his rivals. Lott admitted he had used the name "Mary Rosh" to defend himself but claimed the book reviews were written by his son and wife.[6]
Of course, this is quite embarrassing for someone trying to be a serious academic

He also sued one of the authors of Freakanomics for defamation because they book mentioned Lott's work wasn't peer reviewed and other researchers couldn't replicate Lott's numbers. Lott lost his case about the book.

Last edited by KevinNYC : 12-19-2012 at 11:25 AM.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Assault weapons and hollow point, armor piercing bullets should be limited to the military, period.

I'm not really opposed to outlawing certain levels of ammuntion, up to P++. Assault weapons if they're not fully automatic I don't see much advantage to banning if you degrade the ammunition they can fire. I enjoy shooting my AR.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I'm not really opposed to outlawing certain levels of ammuntion, up to P++. Assault weapons if they're not fully automatic I don't see much advantage to banning if you degrade the ammunition they can fire. I enjoy shooting my AR.
How about the sales of ammunition? Make it not so easy to purchase. Reduce the places that sell it to special appointed ammo stores and each purchase requires the person being in a national data base so to speak? Basically making buying ammo for the guns nearly as difficult as buying the guns themselves?

Just questions
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Are you John Lott?

kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia ©

Dictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this board

I agree with having basic guns but guns like ak47s. C'mon now.
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
IamRAMBO24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Are you John Lott? Because John Lott has a long history of pretending to be other people on internet to defend his work, in fact if you type "john lott so" into google, auto recommend will give you "john lott sockpuppet."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_(Internet)

Of course, this is quite embarrassing for someone trying to be a serious academic

He also sued one of the authors of Freakanomics for defamation because they book mentioned Lott's work wasn't peer reviewed and other researchers couldn't replicate Lott's numbers. Lott lost his case about the book.

Well thank you.

His points are rational because he did make one point that registers: when pilots were allowed to carry arms they didn't go apesh*t and started killing passengers.

The idea a gun is deadly in and of itself is a fallacious argument: just because someone is armed does not mean that person will harm others, in fact, that person is more likely to protect the innocent if there were a nutcase out to harm others.

We don't live in a perfect world where banning guns for registered owners will solve all our crime problems; why .. simple reason: criminals will still get their guns through illegal means, and guess what, sometimes the government will give them the guns for free (operation fast and furious).

If you can trust a cop with a gun, why can't you trust a perfectly sane, well trained, neighbor owning a gun .. who knows, maybe he'll end up saving your life when your dumba*s ends up meeting a serial killer and the only means of protection you have is a butter knife.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. That is a premise that cannot be argued with. It is as fool proof as the sun will rise tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
If you can trust a cop with a gun, why can't you trust a perfectly sane, well trained, neighbor owning a gun .. who knows, maybe he'll end up saving your life when your dumba*s ends up meeting a serial killer and the only means of protection you have is a butter knife.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. That is a premise that cannot be argued with. It is as fool proof as the sun will rise tomorrow.
What if your neighbor IS the serial killer? And he got a legally bought gun?

Guns help people kill people in a much more easier way. That is a fact.

Run through the mall with a knife, how many people can you kill? Now do it with a gun, that's the difference.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
IamRAMBO24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator
I agree with having basic guns but guns like ak47s. C'mon now.

Why not ..

Be lucky you are living in a free society and pray to God it will remain this way.

The only thing that is keeping it this way is that 2nd amendment. The founding fathers are smart enough to know that with power, there is corruption, and they wrote in that amendment to allow the people to keep their government in check.

Without the 2nd amendment, the constitution wouldn't even last a decade. FACT.

Every amendment has been sh*tted on by the government; this amendment and the 1st are the only ones we have left to hold on to. Tread carefully, you lose this, the 1st one will soon follow.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
IamRAMBO24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
What if your neighbor IS the serial killer? And he got a legally bought gun?

Guns help people kill people in a much more easier way. That is a fact.

Run through the mall with a knife, how many people can you kill? Now do it with a gun, that's the difference.

If he was a serial killer, then he wouldn't even be qualified to own a gun legally anyways, but that won't stop him from purchasing it illegally, which is pretty f*ckin easy. All you need to know is someone who knows someone who is willing to give up their arms .. and since it is an underground market, it is impossible to track where the guns will end up.

If drugs make it across the border by the million pounds every year, you don't think illegal arms are crossing it too ..
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: