Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #46
IamRAMBO24
College superstar

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: In defense of gun rights by John Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP

And anyone who thinks that the issue is gonna be an outright ban on guns is as retarded as the people actually calling for that. It will be a reduction on the arms available, and a more stringent legal purchasing process.

That is exactly what they are aiming for. Why do you think the mental health of the kid was such a big deal ..

My guess is they will throw in a mental health evaluation bill for all registered gun owners. Since everything is listed as a mental health, chances are that will ban a huge segment of the population from owning a gun.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #47
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Who's to say God didn't give me my gun and tell me exactly when I should use it?
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #48
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I invite anyone who thinks that making tougher gun laws will reduce crime to hang out at the corner of 12th and Dauphin and count the illegal gun deals you witness in 12 hours. If a person is set on killing someone acquiring a gun illegally is probably easier and cheaper than going to the gun store. This country mass produces guns, they wont simply disappear just because the laws got tougher. I think people need to focus on why our culture is so ****ed up that it produces psychopaths that are willing to kill children.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #49
ZenMaster
Whap'em

ZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
I invite anyone who thinks that making tougher gun laws will reduce crime to hang out at the corner of 12th and Dauphin and count the illegal gun deals you witness in 12 hours. If a person is set on killing someone acquiring a gun illegally is probably easier and cheaper than going to the gun store. This country mass produces guns, they wont simply disappear just because the laws got tougher. I think people need to focus on why our culture is so ****ed up that it produces psychopaths that are willing to kill children.

There would be way way way lesser guns available after 10-30 years of confiscating illegal guns from criminals.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #50
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
people will not stop being overdramatic about the Constitution.....

bunch of slave owners talking about freedom and rights....

it has to be about the only thing that rivals the Bible in terms of people picking and choosing what they decide to care about.....while treating it as all important at the same time.

the First Amendment really isn't even upheld in matters of safety which is why you can't yell panic inducing things in crowded places. and there are an awful lot of things you can't say to people and get away with.

the Constitution much like Bible and everything else has to bend to fit the world we have. which is why Christians wear blended fabrics and eat shrimp when the Bible says you shouldn't and why an amendment saying a well regulated militia is important doesn't mean we need a billion guns in the street like we have now.

the Constitution has been amended as needed for a long long time. often times it was decades after it should have already been changed. it's just a matter of time.
Well said. The second amendment is also not there to allow gun owners to own anything type of firearm they please. In one case the supreme court ruled

Quote:
Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons. Pp. 54–56.[147][148]

in another in relationship to a owning sawed off shotguns the supreme court found

Quote:
In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to any preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could contribute to the common defense

So yes we do have the right to bear arms, but the government also has the right to tell us what can and cannot be owned within a certain scope
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #51
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster
There would be way way way lesser guns available after 10-30 years of confiscating illegal guns from criminals.

Pretty much. But banning all guns would create a massive illegal arms market. By keeping at least handguns and shotguns, demand for illegal weapons shouldn't be that high. You need to leave some legal to keep people happy.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #52
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Got linked to this from reddit....scary shit.

Quote:
http://www.texasgunlaws.org/

The Basics

Q: How long is the waiting period to buy a Handgun / Shotgun / Rifle in Texas?

A: There is no waiting period for purchasing a firearm in the state of Texas.

Q: I just moved to Texas, do I have to register my firearms?

A: No, there is no state registration of firearms.

Q: I just inherited / bought a gun from someone in Texas, do I need to transfer the gun to my name?

A: No, there is no state registration of firearms, thus there is no requirement transfer the firearm in your name.

Q: What is required to purchase a firearm in the state of Texas?

A: You will need a valid state-issued ID. Many FFLs will not sell to out-of-state residents. This is due to the FFL's requirement to uphold your resident state's gun laws, and the inherient complexity associated with many states.

Q: Can I carry a firearm on my person?

A: Yes, with proper licensing (Concealed Handgun License) you may carry a pistol or revolver on your person so long as it remains concealed. Long guns (rifles / shotguns) do not have to be concealed, but must be carried in a manner not calculated to cause alarm, and do not require a license.

Q: Can I strap a gun on my hip in Texas?

A: No, with some exceptions. Open carry is not legal in Texas, but you may open carry on your own property, in the commission of a sporting activity (competition, shooting ranges, etc.), and while engaged in hunting.

Q: Can I carry a firearm in my vehicle?

A: Yes. With the passage of the Motorist Protection Act you may now readibly carry handguns, loaded and within reach, so long as you conceal the firearm. Long guns (rifles / shotguns) do not have to be concealed and may be loaded and within reach.

Q: Are machine guns / suppressors / short-barreled firearms, etc. legal in the state of Texas?

A: Yes. All NFA rules apply. See this FAQ for more info regarding Class III / Title II items.

Q: Are "assault weapons" banned in Texas?

A: No. Texas abides by Federal law which at this time has no restrictions on so-called "assault weapons" such as semi-auto AR15, FAL, G3 / HK91 rifles.

Q: Is there a limit on the number of rounds a magazine may hold?

A: No. The only limit on magazines in Texas is the number of rounds you are physically able to cram into the thing and/or carry and/or afford.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #53
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Here is why you shouldnt take this guy seriously.

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/21/why_is_the_media_rehabilitating_john_lott/?fb_action_ids=10102720559823184&fb_action_types=o g.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_ma p=%7B%2210102720559823184%22%3A486474901402849%7D& action_type_map=%7B%2210102720559823184%22%3A%22og .likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Quote:
Here’s what critics say about him. Lott held prestigious positions at Yale and the University of Chicago, where he published his groundbreaking book, “More Guns, Less Crime.” In the early 2000s, his work fell into controversy for employing what some academic critics termed “junk science” and for various apparently fatal methodological flaws. Later, he was unable to prove the existence of a study central to his thesis. He was also caught using a fake “sockpuppet” persona to defend his work and attack his critics online. “In most circles, this goes down as fraud,” Donald Kennedy, the then-editor of the prestigious journal Science wrote in an editorial. Even Michelle Malkin said Lott had shown an “extensive willingness to deceive to protect and promote his work.”

There were other controversies as well, such as the case of the mysterious missing table and the claim that 50 percent of black Republican votes in Florida were rejected. Eventually, even the conservative American Enterprise Institute apparently was not a good fit for him, as he left that gig in 2006, which he had taken after leaving academia. He now has no academic affiliation and is a general conservative commentator.

Dude is not only a bad academic, he is unethical and manipulative.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #54
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Are you serious?
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #55
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

That's very true, but that is also short term thinking. Ban guns tomorrow and every yo on the block will still be able to get a gun for the time being. But shut down gun production, legal gun sales, actively pursue public disarmament and change the gun culture and in time the well for all those illegal firearms dries up. Not over the course of weeks, but over the course of decennia.

I agree though that culture is more important than gun control. Changing the culture is easier said than done though. You are not going to get it through people's heads that all these copious amounts of religious fundamentalism, intolerance, xenophobia, racism, patriotism, fear, entitlement and egocentricity all have detrimental effects.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #56
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
"There exists in this country, sadly, a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells and sows violence against its own people," says LaPierre. "Through vicious violent video games, with names like Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse. And here's one: It's called Kindergarten Killers. it's been online for 10 years. How come my research staff can find it, and all yours couldn't, or didn't want anyone to know you've found it?"

Executive vice president of the NRA

Sounds like a reasonable, level headed dude
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #57
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
First of all, this is entirely irrelevant to the discussion of mass shootings by psychos. All of those guns were legally acquired (yes, his mom bought them, but they were clearly family guns, as he trained with them extensively). These socially awkward idiots dont have the connections or wherewithal to buy guns illegally. Not relevant.

Second, rather than tired anecdotes about how easy it is to buy a stolen gun right now, why dont we look at facts? Lets look at Australia following their recent ban. What happened there? oh yeah......
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #58
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNicKz
The shooters could have been green. Gun nuts aren't giving up their guns for anything and the more shootings that happen will just make them want more weapons to defend themselves. Your attempt to turn this into a racial argument is embarrassing

the only reason their isnt currently a 'war' against white guys is because the guys who declare these 'wars' on other people happen to be white guys

if that had been a black guy or god forbid a muslim guy?

whew!! Im just glad it wasnt.

Quote:
Let’s review: Any honest observer should be able to admit that if the gunmen in these mass shootings mostly had, say, Muslim names or were mostly, say, African-American men, the country right now wouldn’t be confused about the causes of the violence, and wouldn’t be asking broad questions. There would probably be few queries or calls for reflection, and mostly definitive declarations blaming the bloodshed squarely on Islamic fundamentalism or black nationalism, respectively. Additionally, we would almost certainly hear demands that the government intensify the extant profiling systems already aimed at those groups.

Yet, because the the perpetrators in question in these shootings are white men and not ethnic or religious minorities, nobody is talking about demographic profiling them as a group. The discussion, instead, revolves around everything from gun control, to mental health services, to violence in entertainment — everything, that is, except trying to understanding why the composite of these killers is so similar across so many different massacres. This, even though there are plenty of reasons for that topic to be at least a part of the conversation.

Recounting the truth of these double standards is, of course, boringly mundane, which means my comment on television summarizing them is an equally boring and mundane statement of the obvious. However, as evidenced by the aggressive attempt to turn those comments into controversial headline-grabbing news over the weekend, the conservative movement has exposed its desperation — specifically, its desperation to preserve its White Victimization Mythology.

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/17/woul...ile_white_men/
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #59
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
Here is why you shouldnt take this guy seriously.

Dude is not only a bad academic, he is unethical and manipulative.

But, but, but CNN!

But, government controlled news services!

CAWK!
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: