Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
konex
NBA All-star

Default Durant is averaging 4 assists per game..

I've watched a few OKC games lately and his playmaking looks to have improved dramatically. My one knock on him was his "gunner" only game but the guy is a triple-threat player this year.

4apg might not seem much but it's a big reason his PER is up 2 points this year and why he will easily win MVP over Melo.

PS: Not that Melo can't pass but he plays with 2 PGs and is used solely as a gunner. It just doesn't look good with the stats side by side. He barely gets assists compared to Bron and KD

Last edited by konex : 12-22-2012 at 12:39 AM.
konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Lavachebeadsman
Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Durant is averaging 4 assists per game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by konex
I've watched a few OKC games lately and his playmaking looks to have improved dramatically. My one knock on him was his "gunner" only game but the guy is a triple-threat player this year.

4apg might not seem much but it's a big reason his PER is up 2 points this year and why he will easily win MVP over Melo

Trying to model his game after his boy Lebron and is becoming a much, much better defender. Clear MVP right now.
Lavachebeadsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
maybeshewill13
How I feel in ur head

Yeah he's definitely improved his play making. He does try to make some ridiculous passes though which result in turnovers.. needs to cut that shit out. Like the bounce passes through the middle of the key which are meant to avoid 4 opponents and magically end up a Thunder jerseys hands.
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
konex
NBA All-star

Just goes to show you that he had that in his game all along but they are using him as a playmaker more this year with no Harden. Makes their team much more dangerous
Old 12-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
DCL
NBA sixth man of the year

it's alright, but not really that amazing if you think about it... anybody who has the ball as much as he does around the perimeter and commands so much defensive attention should at least find one open man per quarter...
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
konex
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
it's alright, but not really that amazing if you think about it... anybody who has the ball as much as he does around the perimeter should at least find one open man per quarter.

He's never done it till this year and his usage is even lower than last year so far
Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #7
Graviton
☯‿☯

If Perkins wasn't so garbage, Durant would have 5APG and Westbrook 10. Kendbrick screw up at least 2-3 wide open dunks every game on top of fumbling the ball and turning it over around 2 times as well.

Lakers fans, give us Jordan Hill, we got some young bench players you need and 1st round picks. Danthoni will love Lamb.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
KG215
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
If Perkins wasn't so garbage, Durant would have 5APG and Westbrook 10. Kendbrick screw up at least 2-3 wide open dunks every game on top of fumbling the ball and turning it over around 2 times as well.

Lakers fans, give us Jordan Hill, we got some young bench players you need and 1st round picks. Danthoni will love Lamb.
This. If/when the Thunder draft or trade or a competent center who can, you know, perform the basic basketball play of catch a pass and make a layup, Durant may have a few 28-9-5 seasons in his prime. Westbrook may have a few 22-10-5 seasons. If there was a stat for it, Perkins would lead the league in blown assists and I don't think it'd even be close.

But yes, Durant's passing/playmaking is improved. I noticed glimpses of it in the Olympics which was surprising since I didn't see some of those passes just two months prior in the playoffs; so I mainly just attributed it to the fact that he was playing with the best players in the world against inferior competition.

There's a few times a game, though, he tries to do too much with a pass, but he's learning. He's slowly figuring it out and has improved drastically since the beginning of the season when it comes to finding the balance between scorer and facilitator.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
Djahjaga
Dunking on everybody in the park

3.9 assists to 3.2 turnovers.

But it's a step in the right direction. This is his first season where his APG is greater than his TO. A guy who has the ball as much as he does is bound to turn it over a lot, but the TOs from risky passes will decrease as he gets even better.

Props to him for clearly working to improve on his weaknesses, though. Gonna be awesome watching his career.
Djahjaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #10
IGOTGAME
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by konex
Just goes to show you that he had that in his game all along but they are using him as a playmaker more this year with no Harden. Makes their team much more dangerous
Last time I checked he had a 1:1 ratio, that is horrible.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #11
lebeast666
I Do This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton

And if you've seen Miami play, Lebron would avg an assist or 2 more if he didn't have players with butterfingers (Bosh, Joel...)
lebeast666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #12
nbaballllller
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeast666
And if you've seen Miami play, Lebron would avg an assist or 2 more if he didn't have players with butterfingers (Bosh, Joel...)

dont forget haslem... dude cant make a layup now
nbaballllller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #13
Mr. I'm So Rad
Banned

He started this last year: More playmaking out of his isolations. It's one reason why Westbrook's assists were much lower than usual last season.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #14
joeysms55
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeast666

Lebron already averaged 9 assist a game. No need to bring his name here. It will turn again to Lebron vs Durant topic
joeysms55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #15
longtime lurker
Very good NBA starter

I never understood what's so bad about being a gunner. The point of the game is to score more than your opponent. There's very few players in the NBA that can score on the level of Kevin Durant, why marginalize him for it
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: