Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 12-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
barkleynash
High School Starter

barkleynash has an OK reputation so far
Default Things are looking up.

Nice little win streak by the raps. Injuries are kinda adding up here. The Val injury hurts the most right now, as we are a bit thin up front. Lowry out has just upped Jose's trade value and Ed has emerged. Much of our concern over our subpar wing play is slowly disappearing. Derozen will be able to play the three in spurts, and fits nicely beside Ross long term . I have no problem bringing Ross off the bench this year and next. He can fill it up and adds a multidimensional game. Defence and smooth shooting. Anderson should be starting for the raps. Fields will eventually work back into the wing rotation. Pietrus can be packaged with either Jose or maybe bargs for something. The raps would be well advised to bring bargs off the bench and make him earn his floor time. If he puts in better effort and plays well he may actually increase his trade value.

Lowry. Calderon. Trade bait. Lucas
Derozen, Ross
Anderson, Derozen fields. Trade pietrus with Jose.
Davis, bargs. Can be traded in the offseason. Kleiza. Probably the amnesty.
Val Amir. Gray with increased floor time until Val and bargs return.

Core
Lowry. 34. Lucas 14
Derozen 26 Ross 22
Anderson 22. Derozen 8. Fields 18
Davis 24 Bargs 24
Val 24. Amir 24. Gray injury minutes

Hopefully we can get a late first rounder from Jose and pietrus in exchange for a trade exception.
A second unit of Lucas, Ross, fields, bargs and Amir should be able to score and defend. Bargs covering backup bigs will make him much less exposed. Who knows, maybe he flourishes as a 6thman. Like Carl Landry from gs.
Starters Lowry, derozen, Anderson Davis, Val will be a very strong defensive unit. Anderson provides the shooting and spacing that fields couldn't bring.
That team will compete. It will be sad to see Jose leave, as he is a true pro, but it seems inevitable. Maybe he wii return after free agency at a cheaper rate.
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
letshaveacorona
I airball my layups

letshaveacorona has not been impressing people
Default Re: Things are looking up.

I hope Casey has the cojones to bring Bargs off the bench and earn his playing time. That would so win me back to this team. Davis might not be as flashy as Il Mago but theres something about watching your big man play down low like true bigs rather than sitting on the 3pt line chucking up bricks.If Davis can get me 10 and 10 with sold D im lovin it. Now all we need is a stud3. oh one can dream and then you wake up and realize BC is the GM and he answers to people iwho dont understand the phrase penny wise pound foolish.
letshaveacorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You know, I was watching ask Jack the other day and thinking it would be very interesting if when Lowry and Bargs are healthy both are brought off the bench.

I wonder how we would look with the same starting unit of: Calderon/Derozan/Anderson/Ed Davis/Val

And then coming in with a bench unit of:
Lowry/Ross/Pietrus/Amir/Bargs

That would actually be a great 2nd unit. And the current first unit has already shown and proven they can hold their own.

edit: Just found this on rotoworld http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...to-bench-roles
Quote:
Kyle Lowry (triceps) and Andrea Bargnani (elbow) could return to bench roles when they're healthy enough to play.
Coach Dwane Casey "would not rule out sticking with what is working" when the two players return, and we can't blame him considering the Raptors are finally winning a few games. In this scenario, Jose Calderon would continue to start at point guard, while Ed Davis would continue to start at power forward. This isn't the last we've heard of this, and we'll be keeping a very close eye on this situation to see how it unfolds. "That's way down the road," Casey said.

My only thing is, based on what we've seen so far, I wonder if Casey would be smart enough to know how to integrate all the players into the game at the right times. As great coaches like Popovic have shown, it's not just a matter of who starts the game or who finishes the game. It's about putting the right guys in at the appropriate times and making in-game adjustments based on matchups and performance. I have a big doubt in Casey's ability to do that. I think he's a smart dude, and a good numbers guy but not so good of an in-game mastermind.

Last edited by bokes15 : 12-23-2012 at 05:19 AM.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
letshaveacorona
I airball my layups

letshaveacorona has not been impressing people

in my opinion Lowry is the starter period when he gets back. No more pg controversy please ive had enough. I love calderon but Lowry is the better player and is my starter when he is ready to go.
letshaveacorona is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: