Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #31
LilKateMoss
Thread abuser

Default Re: Pacific Rim

This movie is most likely shit, which is no surprise considering who the director is. His only good movie is Pan's Labyrinth, and only because he managed to write something good and filmed it independently. Hollywood would've ruined it, and dude is hot garbage outside of that one movie.
LilKateMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #32
Rameek
Krust Kingz

It looks real interesting. Its not quite the kaiju element for people that are old enough to have seen those original films Jiger (Monster X), Gamera (my favorite), Rodan, MechaGodzilla, Gigan, Mothra, Ultraman etc. I will watch.

I hope everyone saw the prequel of Atlantic Rim before they see Pacific Rim so the story makes more sense and its clearer!

Atlantic Rim is one of the worse movies that was ever created!
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #33
sommervilleCdn
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Legend#32
Enough with the robots. Does anyone have pictures of the monsters?

let me do you a solid and give you this http://io9.com/why-pacific-rim-doesn...ever-708314921

*of all of the del toro films. I've only seen Pan's Labyringht, Hellboy1 & 2, and Blade2...always liked Guillermo del Toro ...went to watch the film because of del Toro..his comic con pressers are legendary. Everytime I listen to the director's "track" of his movie..he gives quite the insight (his humour suits me..not for everbody). That said, movie did not disapoint

out of 10.
sommervilleCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #34
sommervilleCdn
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923

He's a great storyteller, he's great at drawing you in and caring about the characters because he cares about them deeply. He's also great at drawing good-great performances from his actors, they again genuinely care for the characters and want to do Guillermo proud.

I think he suffers from being to Paul MacCartney-ish, very sappy.

My admiration for him is due to his genuine and shameless love for his projects that's very childlike and almost innocent. I think directors get either to jaded or become too full of themselves at times.

this. at the bolded

addendum
, can't beleive it cost 190Million to make; to put in perspective, dark knight rises was 250Mill ..i may not have the full story. But damnn they got alot of mileage out that and than some.

Last edited by sommervilleCdn : 07-13-2013 at 07:08 PM.
sommervilleCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #35
D-Wade316
F***

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
Why would our conventional planes suck against these monsters, when punching them really hard with robots works? The kinetic force for an explosion >>>>>>>>>> the force from a punch.

Giant robots are not a good design for a military vehicle

exactly. if we absolutely needed to we could even use tactical nukes.
this should be the least of your complaints about a sci-fi film.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #36
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Its a movie just to enjoy the visual effects. The story wasn't that good but its obvious this isnt a movie that you go for acting or story.

If you are person that needs substance in any form in a movie dont waste your time.

It was 10x's better than Atlantic rim.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #37
nathanjizzle
life is exasperating

graphics were awesome 9/10, story line and acting was corny, 4/10. overall rating 6.5/10.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #38
rezznor
Nosetradamus

it was great for what it was supposed to be...an homage to the kaiju movies del toro loved growing up.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #39
Burgz V2
Good college starter

saw this two nights ago. my mind is still blown. Will definitely watch again and I can't even remember the last time I saw something twice in theatres.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #40
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
it was great for what it was supposed to be...an homage to the kaiju movies del toro loved growing up.
I didnt see it that way. The kaiju is the backdrop not really a homage IMHO. Original Kaiju everything else is kind of the backdrop.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #41
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
I didnt see it that way. The kaiju is the backdrop not really a homage IMHO. Original Kaiju everything else is kind of the backdrop.

depends on how you see it. it's alot closer to the original Gojira movie then a Destroy all Monsters or Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla movie.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #42
rezznor
Nosetradamus

sequel confirmed

http://moviepilot.com/stories/104531...fb-stream-post

Quote:
Hey Pacific Rim fans! Loved Pacific Rim FOLLOW and want more Kaiju action? Well it’s coming our way. Director Guillermo del Toro has been asked many things about a sequel and he decided to spill some beans. He confirmed that Warner Bros. has allowed he and his team to start writing a sequel, which is currently being worked on. He also said:

”I’ll tell you a couple of things. We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. Second thing is you’re gonna see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger. And that is quite special.”

Del Toro also said that a lot of the deleted scenes from the movie hinted at possible plot lines for a sequel. Pacific Rim ended with a huge showdown underwater and went through the portal and into the Kaiju world. He referred to that sequence when he went on saying…

”Just think about it for a second. We sent Gipsy to the other side, right? It exploded, but whatever remains stays there.”
Referring to ‘drifting’, the psychological process through which Jaeger pilots team up with each other to manoeuver their giant machines, he highlighted another plot point that might come into play in a sequel:

”The main idea that we’re bouncing off is the fact that Newt drifted with a Kaiju brain, and all Kaiju brains are connected. We say that. They are like a hive mentality. So, you know, draw your own conclusions. We’ve drifted with a Kaiju brain. Well, then start riffing on that and you’ll get to something.

So what do you think about the sequel? Do you like del Toro’s ideas in the script? What do you think of his plot points? What do you want to see in the sequel? Comment below, let me know!

kaiju/jaegar hybrids...awesome!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #43
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

i loved the soundtrack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPaP7KsZ0yw
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #44
niko
I Run NY.

Basically this movie is for you if you think if it's something you'd have wanted made. If it's not or you need to be convinced, it's not. For someone like me who always wanted a Giant Robot fighting Kaiju movie, it was great fun.

I have all the toys so far, all six. They are sitting right here.
[IMG][/IMG]

Well five are here because two are the same robot and that just wouldn't make sense to both be there at the same time.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #45
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

This was by far my least favorite movie I saw in theaters in 2013 (and I saw Hangover III).
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: