Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 05:24 AM   #16
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,981
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick

Considering it took the Australian Aboriginals several thousand years before they heared it, I'll stop you right there.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:24 AM   #17
Nanners
College superstar
 
Nanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: rip city
Posts: 4,520
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
You're a pretentious douche. Doesn't even have the decency to just stay out of the thread, let alone has to downgrade the value of a literary and historical work such as the bible to "obsolete fiction" Pretty unbelievable that he writes out these little gems of insight while having a google thesaurus on the other tab. Takes a lot of effort to impress your little forum friends, doesnt it? but wait; don't mistake my words as insults, it's just a very clear insight of your shitty self.

Here we are in a thread about the "overwhelming splendor and excellence" of an obsolete fictional book, and you are gonna get all whacked out of shape when someone points out that this obsolete fictional book could actually still be useful for a couple things? You are the pretentious douche.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #18
Jello
Hume>Kunt.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,623
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
Here we are in a thread about the "overwhelming splendor and excellence" of an obsolete fictional book, and you are gonna get all whacked out of shape when someone points out that this obsolete fictional book could actually still be useful for a couple things? You are the pretentious douche.
Every university has the Bible as reading in their ancient history curriculum, a core humanities class that is required in nearly every university. It is also a core part of many people's beliefs.
It doesn't surprise me that you think you can degrade something core to someone's belief system to shit and *** rags and then call it useful.
If you think that's okay, then it's obvious you're a pretentious douche as well.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #19
Kews1
BostonCeltics
 
Kews1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 2,332
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Too bad that the bible was plagiarized from no less than a dozen sources, in particular these other "Gods" who were before Jesus' time but are remarkably similar to what he is claimed to be...

Kews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #20
Kews1
BostonCeltics
 
Kews1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 2,332
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Kews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #21
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,981
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
Every university has the Bible as reading in their ancient history curriculum, a core humanities class that is required in nearly every university. It is also a core part of many people's beliefs.
It doesn't surprise me that you think you can degrade something core to someone's belief system to shit and *** rags and then call it useful.
If you think that's okay, then it's obvious you're a pretentious douche as well.

The bible has had an impact on literature, and it is historically important. However overall it is trash. If it were written today it would be mocked to high heaven. And it isn't a core of peoples beliefs, people pick and choose the bits they like and disregard the bits they don't. Every philosophy filters down to the average person, but if we trashed buddha or socrates or descartes you probably wouldn't care.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #22
Kews1
BostonCeltics
 
Kews1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 2,332
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

John 14:6 - Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Kews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #23
Jello
Hume>Kunt.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,623
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
The bible has had an impact on literature, and it is historically important. However overall it is trash. If it were written today it would be mocked to high heaven.
That's a good reason to say overall, the Bible is trash. It would be mocked in 2012. Very good reasoning.
Quote:
And it isn't a core of peoples beliefs, people pick and choose the bits they like and disregard the bits they don't.
The Bible is the most fundamental source of differences in beliefs so yes, it is the core of their beliefs. How does people picking and choosing bits to believe make the core source not the Bible?
Quote:
Every philosophy filters down to the average person, but if we trashed buddha or socrates or descartes you probably wouldn't care.
Nice assumption.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #24
Nanners
College superstar
 
Nanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: rip city
Posts: 4,520
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
Every university has the Bible as reading in their ancient history curriculum, a core humanities class that is required in nearly every university. It is also a core part of many people's beliefs.
It doesn't surprise me that you think you can degrade something core to someone's belief system to shit and *** rags and then call it useful.
If you think that's okay, then it's obvious you're a pretentious douche as well.

dont really see your point about universities, as most universities read plenty of fiction books in addition to the bible. the illiad for example.

so melodramatic with all your crying about someone degrading your core beliefs as a c*um rag. if my beliefs were actually written down on paper somewhere I would be honored if you used it to wipe up some sex juice.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #25
Jello
Hume>Kunt.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,623
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
dont really see your point about universities, as most universities read plenty of fiction books in addition to the bible. the illiad for example.

so melodramatic with all your crying about someone degrading your core beliefs as a c*um rag. if my beliefs were actually written down on paper somewhere I would be honored if you used it to wipe up some sex juice.
Yes, I know you're a douche. You don't have to make it clearer.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #26
Nanners
College superstar
 
Nanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: rip city
Posts: 4,520
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
Yes, I know you're a douche. You don't have to make it clearer.


seems like you mad. maybe you should move some place where a larger percentage of the population actually gives a shit when their beloved holy books get disrespected......try the middle east or africa.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #27
Jello
Hume>Kunt.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,623
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
seems like you mad. maybe you should move some place where a larger percentage of the population actually gives a shit when their beloved holy books get disrespected......try the middle east or africa.
Douche, please stahp it. Just stahp.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #28
Nanners
College superstar
 
Nanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: rip city
Posts: 4,520
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
Douche, please stahp it. Just stahp.

once again the fiction book loses against logic and fact

"please stop pointing out that my belief system based on a book about magic that makes no sense.... i cant handle the truth"
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #29
Kews1
BostonCeltics
 
Kews1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 2,332
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Also the "overwhelming splendor and excellence" of the bible can absolutely be disputed especially because of the numerous errors and contradictions that are in it, or do these errors in OP's opinion add to its greatness...
Kews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #30
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,981
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
How does people picking and choosing bits to believe make the core source not the Bible?

Because the overall process of picking and choosing is influenced by social and literary sources outside of the bible.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy