Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #31
Kews1
BostonCeltics
 
Kews1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 2,342
Kews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

John 14:6 - Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Kews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #32
Jello
Hume>Kunt.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,602
Jello is starting to rub some people the wrong wayJello is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
The bible has had an impact on literature, and it is historically important. However overall it is trash. If it were written today it would be mocked to high heaven.
That's a good reason to say overall, the Bible is trash. It would be mocked in 2012. Very good reasoning.
Quote:
And it isn't a core of peoples beliefs, people pick and choose the bits they like and disregard the bits they don't.
The Bible is the most fundamental source of differences in beliefs so yes, it is the core of their beliefs. How does people picking and choosing bits to believe make the core source not the Bible?
Quote:
Every philosophy filters down to the average person, but if we trashed buddha or socrates or descartes you probably wouldn't care.
Nice assumption.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #33
Nanners
Decent college freshman
 
Nanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: OKC
Posts: 2,883
Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
Every university has the Bible as reading in their ancient history curriculum, a core humanities class that is required in nearly every university. It is also a core part of many people's beliefs.
It doesn't surprise me that you think you can degrade something core to someone's belief system to shit and *** rags and then call it useful.
If you think that's okay, then it's obvious you're a pretentious douche as well.

dont really see your point about universities, as most universities read plenty of fiction books in addition to the bible. the illiad for example.

so melodramatic with all your crying about someone degrading your core beliefs as a c*um rag. if my beliefs were actually written down on paper somewhere I would be honored if you used it to wipe up some sex juice.
Nanners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #34
Jello
Hume>Kunt.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,602
Jello is starting to rub some people the wrong wayJello is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
dont really see your point about universities, as most universities read plenty of fiction books in addition to the bible. the illiad for example.

so melodramatic with all your crying about someone degrading your core beliefs as a c*um rag. if my beliefs were actually written down on paper somewhere I would be honored if you used it to wipe up some sex juice.
Yes, I know you're a douche. You don't have to make it clearer.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #35
Nanners
Decent college freshman
 
Nanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: OKC
Posts: 2,883
Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
Yes, I know you're a douche. You don't have to make it clearer.


seems like you mad. maybe you should move some place where a larger percentage of the population actually gives a shit when their beloved holy books get disrespected......try the middle east or africa.
Nanners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #36
Jello
Hume>Kunt.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,602
Jello is starting to rub some people the wrong wayJello is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
seems like you mad. maybe you should move some place where a larger percentage of the population actually gives a shit when their beloved holy books get disrespected......try the middle east or africa.
Douche, please stahp it. Just stahp.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #37
Nanners
Decent college freshman
 
Nanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: OKC
Posts: 2,883
Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
Douche, please stahp it. Just stahp.

once again the fiction book loses against logic and fact

"please stop pointing out that my belief system based on a book about magic that makes no sense.... i cant handle the truth"
Nanners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #38
Kews1
BostonCeltics
 
Kews1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 2,342
Kews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Also the "overwhelming splendor and excellence" of the bible can absolutely be disputed especially because of the numerous errors and contradictions that are in it, or do these errors in OP's opinion add to its greatness...
Kews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #39
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,992
miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
How does people picking and choosing bits to believe make the core source not the Bible?

Because the overall process of picking and choosing is influenced by social and literary sources outside of the bible.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #40
Jello
Hume>Kunt.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,602
Jello is starting to rub some people the wrong wayJello is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
once again the fiction book loses against logic and fact

"please stop pointing out that my belief system makes no sense.... i cant handle the truth"
What logic? You would like people to use your written work as shit rags. Seeing your posts, it would be necessarily a shit rag.
You're on the little hook that it's fiction. It doesn't matter if it's "obsolete fiction" There is plenty of archaeological, historical, and sociological value and insights that you can get from the Bible and its use in history. Continue to be douche because of your disdain for people who have different beliefs than you.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #41
Kews1
BostonCeltics
 
Kews1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 2,342
Kews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
There is plenty of archaeological, historical, and sociological value and insights that you can get from the Bible and its use in history. Continue to be douche because of your disdain for people who have different beliefs than you.

Theres at the very least a million books that can claim the same thing, what makes this one special?
Kews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #42
Jello
Hume>Kunt.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,602
Jello is starting to rub some people the wrong wayJello is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
Because the overall process of picking and choosing is influenced by social and literary sources outside of the bible.
It's a man made literary work that is open to interpretation. I still don't see how society influencing what parts people choose to believe means the Bible isn't a core source of their beliefs.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #43
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****
 
maybeshewill13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ═sjaki
Posts: 7,008
maybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees".

Last edited by maybeshewill13 : 12-26-2012 at 09:47 PM.
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #44
Jello
Hume>Kunt.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,602
Jello is starting to rub some people the wrong wayJello is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kews1
Theres at the very least a million books that can claim the same thing, what makes this one special?
Because there is over 6 billion copies worldwide?
Because it was used as tool for political power and gives sociological insight?
Because it is the basis of a religion that has almost 2 billion self proclaimed believers?
Because it has been a significant source for archaeology and descriptions from Biblical text has been used to help discover ancient cities?
Because it has historically corresponding events with early historians?
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #45
Kews1
BostonCeltics
 
Kews1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 2,342
Kews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
Because there is over 6 billion copies worldwide?
Because it was used as tool for political power and gives sociological insight?
Because it is the basis of a religion that has almost 2 billion self proclaimed believers?
Because it has been a significant source for archaeology and descriptions from Biblical text has been used to help discover ancient cities?
Because it has historically corresponding events with early historians?

None of those things essentially mean jack shit or are fundamentally false.

its not a popularity contest the amount of sales hardly influences its validity or greatness,

It has also been used as a tool for evil, political schemes and oppression.

An almost unquestioned basis whereby people are brainwashed as children and no decisions are made based on fact by them when they are capable adults, if you are told that it is true by your parents, teachers, preachers and church when you are young you will inevitable believe it, at least untill you do the research yourself and make an informed decision - which almost nobody does, people are shocked when the realize how flawed it is.

Like what? What places have been found that would not have been found without guidance from the bible and what about the many places revealed in the bible have never been found - Where is the Garden of Eden? Where is Lazarus Tomb? Where is Jesus' Tomb? - And what about the fact that these ancient cities you claim the bible help to find have maintained their names since the time of the writing of the bible, how hard is it to find if it has been called the same thing for 2000 years? What about the numerous cities named in the bible that have never been found?

I dont even know what the **** your last thing means

Your a ****ing half-wit, GTFOH
Kews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy