Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #46
LikeABosh
LBJ fan since 12/30/84

Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

When you buy a male Hebrew slave, he shall serve for six years, but in the seventh he shall go out a free person, without debt. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master’s and he shall go out alone. But if the slave declares, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out a free person’, then his master shall bring him before God. He shall be brought to the door or the doorpost; and his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him for life.
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do. If she does not please her master, who designated her for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed; he shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has dealt unfairly with her. If he designates her for his son, he shall deal with her as with a daughter. If he takes another wife to himself, he shall not diminish the food, clothing, or marital rights of the first wife. And if he does not do these three things for her, she shall go out without debt, without payment of money.

Whoever strikes a person mortally shall be put to death. If it was not premeditated, but came about by an act of God, then I will appoint for you a place to which the killer may flee. But if someone wilfully attacks and kills another by treachery, you shall take the killer from my altar for execution.

Whoever strikes father or mother shall be put to death.

Whoever kidnaps a person, whether that person has been sold or is still held in possession, shall be put to death. Whoever curses father or mother shall be put to death.

When individuals quarrel and one strikes the other with a stone or fist so that the injured party, though not dead, is confined to bed, but recovers and walks around outside with the help of a staff, then the assailant shall be free of liability, except to pay for the loss of time, and to arrange for full recovery.

When a slave-owner strikes a male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies immediately, the owner shall be punished. But if the slave survives for a day or two, there is no punishment; for the slave is the owner’s property. [Exodus, chapter 21] God is good.... Praise be to him
LikeABosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #47
Derka
Go C's!

Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2McFly
Didnt have to scroll far.

The bible is a great book with many lessons that a lot of people could learn from and apply to their lives.

So are Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings. Just sayin...
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #48
Kews1
BostonCeltics

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers_forever
No that Zeitgeist BS again. A bunch of BS made up by a 19th century poet named Gerald Massey. No respected historian in the world claim those "facts" about those deities.

Read it and learn http://conspiracies.skepticproject.c...geist/part-one An article ((with all the references) made by a non christian debunking all that BS.

Even militant atheists like historian Richard Carrier and those guys from the Atheist Experience show think Zeitgeist is BS.

Example: Horus wasn't born of a virgin, on the 25th dec, a teacher at 12, he wasn't crucified, he did not ressurect, he wasn't know as the Light, God's sheperd. There were no star in the east, no 12 disciples. It's all made up by Gerald Massey (lamer in history).

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Massey

Kews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #49
Pacers4ever
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka
So are Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings. Just sayin...
lol like what and it has to be original.
Pacers4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #50
TheGreatBlaze
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kews1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD40xi9KdqE
TheGreatBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #51
Kews1
BostonCeltics

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatBlaze

For each video saying its not true i could find you ones that say it is, but thats beside the point if its true or not dosnt affect my views on it or beliefs so im not concerned either way
Kews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #52
TheGreatBlaze
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kews1
For each video saying its not true i could find you ones that say it is, but thats beside the point if its true or not dosnt affect my views on it or beliefs so im not concerned either way
You made assertions full of lies and fabrications that have been exposed and refuted years ago. If you're going to make a claim, prove it. People who actually study this sort of stuff can see right through you.
TheGreatBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #53
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

the bible is for stupid people.

those people may be good-natured folks, but they're still stupid people.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #54
Mach_3
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABosh
Whoever curses father or mother shall be put to death.

Oh F***
Mach_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #55
Chapallaz
Banned

I think people should stop bothering others with what they believe in.
Chapallaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #56
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
No doubt that is the reason for some, but many are due to people just not wanting to give something up--hence they build a denomination that allows it

That may be true, but it doesn't take away from the fact that this "perfect" book is subject to all sorts of subjective interpretation.

A rudimentary maths textbook is more perfect because it can only be interpreted one way, all of the time, by anyone regardless of their cultural or religious or economic background. That is kind of how I would expect the creator of the laws of the universe to write a book. Except I am expected to believe that this is his best effort? A set of identical twins with all of the same inputs will even differ in opinion on some points. I'm sorry but splendor and excellence are not words I would use to describe this derivative (because it had already been done before by people - God isn't even original in his method of delivery; prophet + book = religion) approach.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #57
red1
raptors fan

Quote:
Reading the Bible should be fun. Find out people's favorite scriptures, books, verses... Discover the brilliancy behind select scripture, the message.. ask questions
We reading the same bible? Reading playboy is fun. Bible? Not so much
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #58
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
...it also tells me that satan is one hell of a deceiver. (In other words..check your sources)

Check what sources? Are you attributing every religion that came before Judaism, and from all corners of the globe to Satan? Are you saying that no other religion that was formed by a (false) prophet and had subsequent teachings either oral or written was man-made but rather inspired by Satan?

You have to remember that Christian thought has been combating criticism since its inception and it now has plenty of in-built and quite ingenious defensive mechanisms.

One is attributing other religions as products of Satan - and by engaging or thinking about them he is leading you astray.

Two is the notion that the Bible is only inspired and not dictated by God - this allows for human errors to be accounted for, alleviating your dissonance towards the fact that "something ain't quite right."

Last edited by miller-time : 01-06-2013 at 06:59 AM.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #59
Budadiiii
Banned

Religion is such a huge flaw in modern society.

Just glad I wasn't brainwashed into it. Well they tried, I was just smart enough to see the fallacies
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #60
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

quick question.

I read once that the sales of the Bible and the Koran are not counted in official sales because the vast majority of those printed are given away. so the numbers on them are more what gets produced than what is sold. kinda like a record company saying 5,000,000 albums were shipped when they don't have the numbers on what sold. but they advertise. 5,000,000 sales

a lot of books sell in the hundreds of millions when you count being given away as a sale. the teachings of Mao in China for example.

Also.....

people crazy about their religion pretty much created truly widespread disdain for people different than them. people have been murdered for thousands of years for not swearing allegiance to this God or that God.

God fearers should be able to take a little harmless joking on the Internet. if all you had to deal with was one jerk on the internet for every person murdered in the name of god because of what some idiot took an old book to mean....... that seems more than fair to me
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: