Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #61
Kews1
BostonCeltics

Kews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatBlaze

For each video saying its not true i could find you ones that say it is, but thats beside the point if its true or not dosnt affect my views on it or beliefs so im not concerned either way
Kews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #62
TheGreatBlaze
Serious playground baller

TheGreatBlaze has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kews1
For each video saying its not true i could find you ones that say it is, but thats beside the point if its true or not dosnt affect my views on it or beliefs so im not concerned either way
You made assertions full of lies and fabrications that have been exposed and refuted years ago. If you're going to make a claim, prove it. People who actually study this sort of stuff can see right through you.
TheGreatBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #63
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
Try the NIV or one of the King James's. Unless you're just saying u grew bored of it
Reading the Bible should be fun. Find out people's favorite scriptures, books, verses... Discover the brilliancy behind select scripture, the message.. ask questions
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #64
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

the bible is for stupid people.

those people may be good-natured folks, but they're still stupid people.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #65
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
the bible is for stupid people.

those people may be good-natured folks, but they're still stupid people.
mad about somethin'
Old 01-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #66
Mach_3
Local High School Star

Mach_3 has decent reputationMach_3 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABosh
Whoever curses father or mother shall be put to death.

Oh F***
Mach_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #67
BuGzBuNNy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach_3
Oh F***
That was in the Old Testament times when Israel was first beingformed as a nation, and they lived among heathen nations and were given special rules/instructions about how they were to live so as not to follow the way of those around them. So some of the laws seem harsh to us, but it may have meant put to death in their minds and be shunned, or it may have meant literal death. Cursing I assume is used as a literal term and not, i.e; "eff you" or the likes.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #68
BuGzBuNNy

Many people will tell you the old covenant/mosaic law doesn't apply to us, that it was only for the jews of that time. I don't think Christians should ignore old covenant laws, but rather seek the message(..as Im certain most all do). Jesus said after all..

Matthew 5:17
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

More weight is always put in the New Testament and the life of Christ who it chronicles. In places where the New Testament teachings of Jesus seem to conflict with Old Testament teachings, Jesus's rules should always take precedence.

The message itself, even if you think harsh of the law, is good. Which goes back to post two. This is crucial

Last edited by BuGzBuNNy : 01-05-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #69
Chapallaz
Banned

Chapallaz has decent reputationChapallaz has decent reputation

I think people should stop bothering others with what they believe in.
Chapallaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #70
BuGzBuNNy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapallaz
I think people should stop bothering others with what they believe in.
Eh, not sure I can agree with this. I'm not sure if you're defending me/or directing that statement @ me for this thread. This almost seems to me like people who talk down politics and those who participate. It affects everyone, I don't think such a thing should be considered bothering. Its all good man, if you don't want to partake, don't. Don't consider my making of this thread "bothering you" or anyone. I come in peace
Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #71
BuGzBuNNy

Quote:
I came across this the other day, and though it's as simple a concept as can be, its vital in ones understanding. Three things to consider when reading the Bible:That pretty much sums up this..

Credited to the Catholic church
Im not Catholic for the record. This is just a damn good summation

Last edited by BuGzBuNNy : 01-05-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #72
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
No doubt that is the reason for some, but many are due to people just not wanting to give something up--hence they build a denomination that allows it

That may be true, but it doesn't take away from the fact that this "perfect" book is subject to all sorts of subjective interpretation.

A rudimentary maths textbook is more perfect because it can only be interpreted one way, all of the time, by anyone regardless of their cultural or religious or economic background. That is kind of how I would expect the creator of the laws of the universe to write a book. Except I am expected to believe that this is his best effort? A set of identical twins with all of the same inputs will even differ in opinion on some points. I'm sorry but splendor and excellence are not words I would use to describe this derivative (because it had already been done before by people - God isn't even original in his method of delivery; prophet + book = religion) approach.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #73
red1
Dinosaurs

red1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Reading the Bible should be fun. Find out people's favorite scriptures, books, verses... Discover the brilliancy behind select scripture, the message.. ask questions
We reading the same bible? Reading playboy is fun. Bible? Not so much
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #74
BuGzBuNNy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
That may be true, but it doesn't take away from the fact that this "perfect" book is subject to all sorts of subjective interpretation. A rudimentary maths textbook is more perfect because it can only be interpreted one way, all of the time, by anyone regardless of their cultural or religious or economic background.
So the question arises; Do I think this book that brings about different interpretations is something that was put forth by the Almighty? Short answer, yes. I've said time and again that I don't think making a wrong interpretation of something in the Bible in an honest pursuit of righteousness is worthy of punishment. The Bible tells me everyone will be judged in righteousness (see Acts 17:31; other places as well I'm certain) No doubt in my mind that God loves people trying to make truth in their interpretation of the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
That is kind of how I would expect the creator of the laws of the universe to write a book. Except I am expected to believe that this is his best effort? A set of identical twins with all of the same inputs will even differ in opinion on some points.
Just to clarify..
Quote:
Contrary to popular belief the Bible was not written by God whispering into the ears of the human authors to write what he wanted written, but rather the Scriptures are inspired by God. The Holy Spirit guided the authors to be moved in such a way that their writings were of God.
..The point you're trying to make still stands of course, I just needed to clear that up. I was asked the other day why God doesn't just prove himself God doesn't want robots, free will is key. I think he walks a fine line between making his existence blatant and apparent (I'll probably elaborate on this in a moment)

Quote:
I'm sorry but splendor and excellence are not words I would use to describe this derivative (because it had already been done before by people - God isn't even original in his method of delivery; prophet + book = religion) approach.
The splendor and excellence that I'm getting at has nothing to do with whether or not you accept the book as truth. The splendor and excellence I'm getting at is the undeniable fact of this books daunting legacy(for lack of better term). An educated Christian has no problem with what you have in parenthesis. The Bible says that all things were created for Gods glory, his pleasure, numerous times, even those that are called by his name (see Isaiah 43:7; Revelation 4:11, Colossians 1:16)
Old 01-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #75
BuGzBuNNy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1
We reading the same bible? Reading playboy is fun. Bible? Not so much
I can imagine that if you just started on Genesis 1:1 with intentions of reading to the end you'd find the idea disinteresting. I think if you do what you left unbolded you'd find it much more enjoyable Its a interaction kinda thingy
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: