Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #76
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime
I'm sorry but splendor and excellence are not words I would use to describe this derivative (because it had already been done before by people - God isn't even original in his method of delivery; prophet + book = religion) approach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
The splendor and excellence that I'm getting at has nothing to do with whether or not you accept the book as truth. The splendor and excellence I'm getting at is the undeniable fact of this books daunting legacy(for lack of better term). An educated Christian has no problem with what you have in parenthesis. The Bible says that all things were created for Gods glory, his pleasure, numerous times, even those that are called by his name (see Isaiah 43:7; Revelation 4:11, Colossians 1:16)
...it also tells me that satan is one hell of a deceiver. (In other words..check your sources)

Last edited by BuGzBuNNy : 01-06-2013 at 01:48 AM.
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #77
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
...it also tells me that satan is one hell of a deceiver. (In other words..check your sources)

Check what sources? Are you attributing every religion that came before Judaism, and from all corners of the globe to Satan? Are you saying that no other religion that was formed by a (false) prophet and had subsequent teachings either oral or written was man-made but rather inspired by Satan?

You have to remember that Christian thought has been combating criticism since its inception and it now has plenty of in-built and quite ingenious defensive mechanisms.

One is attributing other religions as products of Satan - and by engaging or thinking about them he is leading you astray.

Two is the notion that the Bible is only inspired and not dictated by God - this allows for human errors to be accounted for, alleviating your dissonance towards the fact that "something ain't quite right."

Last edited by miller-time : 01-06-2013 at 06:59 AM.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #78
Budadiiii
Banned

Budadiiii posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryBudadiiii posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Religion is such a huge flaw in modern society.

Just glad I wasn't brainwashed into it. Well they tried, I was just smart enough to see the fallacies
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #79
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

quick question.

I read once that the sales of the Bible and the Koran are not counted in official sales because the vast majority of those printed are given away. so the numbers on them are more what gets produced than what is sold. kinda like a record company saying 5,000,000 albums were shipped when they don't have the numbers on what sold. but they advertise. 5,000,000 sales

a lot of books sell in the hundreds of millions when you count being given away as a sale. the teachings of Mao in China for example.

Also.....

people crazy about their religion pretty much created truly widespread disdain for people different than them. people have been murdered for thousands of years for not swearing allegiance to this God or that God.

God fearers should be able to take a little harmless joking on the Internet. if all you had to deal with was one jerk on the internet for every person murdered in the name of god because of what some idiot took an old book to mean....... that seems more than fair to me
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #80
miller-time

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
quick question.

I read once that the sales of the Bible and the Koran are not counted in official sales because the vast majority of those printed are given away. so the numbers on them are more what gets produced than what is sold. kinda like a record company saying 5,000,000 albums were shipped when they don't have the numbers on what sold. but they advertise. 5,000,000 sales

a lot of books sell in the hundreds of millions when you count being given away as a sale. the teachings of Mao in China for example.

Also.....

people crazy about their religion pretty much created truly widespread disdain for people different than them. people have been murdered for thousands of years for not swearing allegiance to this God or that God.

God fearers should be able to take a little harmless joking on the Internet. if all you had to deal with was one jerk on the internet for every person murdered in the name of god because of what some idiot took an old book to mean....... that seems more than fair to me

What exactly is the question?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #81
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

part about the Bible sales often being more about what is produced than actually sold....

i imagine it would be hard to get concrete sales numbers on a book that its followers believe you shouldn't charge anybody for. so where do sales numbers really come from? not like only 1 place produces Bibles. and so many are given away it would be hard to keep up with the numbers.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #82
miller-time

Quote:
part about the Bible sales often being more about what is produced than actually sold....

i imagine it would be hard to get concrete sales numbers on a book that its followers believe you shouldn't charge anybody for. so where do sales numbers really come from? not like only 1 place produces Bibles. and so many are given away it would be hard to keep up with the numbers.

Even though they are given away someone has to buy them from the publisher. So I guess they are still "sold." But it is still misleading.

I don't know who is constantly needing bibles though, my entire family is atheist and we have like 3 or 4 of them in our house. Surely if you are a believer you'd have one handy somewhere. We have one that my Grandma was given in school, so it'd be about 70-75 years old, they are pretty sturdy books.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #83
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

many people produce the Bible for free so it's not even sold from the publisher. but yes just about everyone has Bibles. I have more than one and also have a Koran somewhere. well not the Koran its one of those books claiming to explain what it means in English. I may even have a book of Mormon somewhere though I'm not sure I kept it after I moved.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #84
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
Check what sources? Are you attributing every religion that came before Judaism, and from all corners of the globe to Satan? Are you saying that no other religion that was formed by a (false) prophet and had subsequent teachings either oral or written was man-made but rather inspired by Satan
I'm saying check the sources that are telling you these things, that are claiming plagiarism, etc.. The whole Zeitgeist deal for example. I'll get to the rest of what you posted when I get off, you too kblaze. Good to see you posting in here

I can quickly say that the Mao book was practically demanded on Chinese residents. Despite that its still dwarfed in comparison

Last edited by BuGzBuNNy : 01-06-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #85
miller-time

Quote:
I'm saying check the sources that are telling you these things, that are claiming plagiarism, etc.. The whole Zeitgeist deal for example. I'll get to the rest of what you posted when I get off, you too kblaze. Good to see you posting in here

I didn't say the Bible was plagiarized. I said God used exactly the same method to deliver his word as every man-made religion that preceded Judaism and Christianity. Which raises a red flag. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #86
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

I believe in a creator but not in one that needs a blood sacrifice to forgive sin, that seems unGodly to me and that is just one example. There are many examples of attributes that are attributed to GOD that I have trouble believing.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #87
miller-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
I believe in a creator but not in one that needs a blood sacrifice to forgive sin, that seems unGodly to me and that is just one example. There are many examples of attributes that are attributed to GOD that I have trouble believing.

Agreed. If he exists I feel bad for him. Imagine if people painted a picture like that about you?

I can not possibly reconcile the idea that the same God that created quantum physics and biological organisms would also initiate such a poorly formed rule book. It is such a logical disconnect that it actually pains me to think about.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #88
DMV2
Keep on Rockin in...

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Not a Christian but I've never met a bad Christian in my life. So Christians are good in my book. In fact, without a Christian church, my family wouldn't be here in the States. There's a nun who's still very close to my mom and she doesn't even try to convert us or anything. She has helped us a lot and never ask for anything in return.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #89
BuGzBuNNy

Quote:
quick question.

I don't know the exact amount sold or given away all time or yearly, just the total of the two. Next to "100m yearly" is usually "sold or given away", "distributed" or "printed". The only thing in the OP regarding sales alone is the year after year sales numbers in the US alone, that is between $425m and $650m. Harry Potter (Deathly Hallows) reportedly peaked at 44m copies sold worldwide in the year of 2008. I assume this is the closest the Bible has come to not being the best seller in a year. I'd be surprised if you could find 20 books that can be said to have maybe sold over one-hundred million all time regardless how you measure it. You said hundreds of millions, meaning at least two-hundred million? Lets see a list. I'll start it; The Bible, the Koran, Quotations from Mao, A Tale of Two Cites...?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #90
BuGzBuNNy

Quote:
You have to remember that Christian thought has been combating criticism since its inception and it now has plenty of in-built and quite ingenious defensive mechanisms.
I can say the same thing in my favor

Quote:
One is attributing other religions as products of Satan - and by engaging or thinking about them he is leading you astray.
Again this isn't what I was getting at

Quote:
Two is the notion that the Bible is only inspired and not dictated by God - this allows for human errors to be accounted for, alleviating your dissonance towards the fact that "something ain't quite right."
The Bible being inspired by God, and not dictated is in the Bible itself (see 2 Timothy 3:16, other places as well I'm sure. May look them up and get back to this)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: