Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #121
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
The jury seems to be out on Justin Martyr. I've seen all kinds of things questioning him. That he was controversial...questioning if he was a saint, apostate, heretic. I won't form an opinion on him before I at least feel I know enough about him to

Wondering what you thought about the videos I posted on the last page?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg

Do you find inaccuracies in what he is describing?
miller-time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #122
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
Wondering what you thought about the videos I posted on the last page?

Do you find inaccuracies in what he is describing?
I haven't watched them, I will now..and this one

If I am to believe that the Bible is truth, nothing like this will ever surprise me as it hints it time and again. Continuing to watch

Last edited by BuGzBuNNy : 01-07-2013 at 12:59 AM.
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 AM   #123
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

i see nothing wrong with making fun of someone's religion.

imaging a dude who sees his toilet bowl as his god and he worships that toilet bowl. every morning, he makes a prayer to that toilet bowl, and all his faith belongs to the toilet bowl. granted, he may be a nice person, but he's still worshipping a f--king toilet bowl.

i don't really see a difference between christians and that guy worshipping his toilet bowl.

both believe in the same kind of faith. it doesn't necessarily make them bad people, but they're both funny. if you must respect christians, then you must also respect the guy worshipping his toilet bowl.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #124
miller-time

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
i see nothing wrong with making fun of someone's religion.

imaging a dude who sees his toilet bowl as his god and he worships that toilet bowl. every morning, he makes a prayer to that toilet bowl, and all his faith belongs to the toilet bowl. granted, he may be a nice person, but he's still worshipping a f--king toilet bowl.

i don't really see a difference between christians and that guy worshipping his toilet bowl.

both believe in the same kind of faith. it doesn't necessarily make them bad people, but they're both funny. if you must respect christians, then you must also respect the guy worshipping his toilet bowl.

Hitchens makes a good point on the mockery of religion. http://youtu.be/8t4VhQX5Ckk?t=1m21s

Although the distinction should be made about the mockery of a belief system and mockery of the individual. Those are two different exercises.

"One of the beginnings of human emancipation is the ability to laugh at authority."

Last edited by miller-time : 01-07-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #125
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

maybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected poster

I thought most people realized wizards and fantasies weren't real by time they were in their teens?
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #126
miller-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
I haven't watched them, I will now..and this one

If I am to believe that the Bible is truth, nothing like this will ever surprise me as it hints it time and again. Continuing to watch

So what is your opinion?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #127
Himan12
On the clouds

Himan12 has an OK reputation so far

You know what I never understood about the major religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam). God decided to reveal his word to some group of special people in those days but how come he cant reveal to us? What makes them worthy?

We are asked to believe in some books that we have 0 clues regarding their origins.
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #128
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
This is an interesting video on the history of the Bible and God, I have posted it on here before.

Part 1

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPfFx9JTQl8
So I'm gonna sum this video up as best I can to try to simplify what I need to respond to, or better yet I'll respond to what stood out most to me. It'd be ideal for me that you summarized what you wanted me to speak on or at least point out some specifics

One thing was the reference of Deuteronomy 5:7. But what is the video claiming by this reference? Is it an attempt show that the religion at that point was polytheism? What is he saying from (11:29-11:33), sounds like "Indicates that even josias believed in the existence of other Gods"? And is he claiming right afterward that Judaism was originally Monolatrist Polytheism?

Judaism has always been monotheistic, some Israelites however would join with various local cults surrounding them in worshipping of other gods. That law was given to them, the astray-ed Israelites. Baal was one of them, he can be considered a competitor at the time

"Other gods" is the equivalence of idols everywhere its seen in the Bible

One thing about the video is that I often found myself responding to something said in it only to be told why I couldn't respond that way moments afterward because so and so says that something was revised

For example, the video referencing Isaiah 44:6 as the birth of monotheism(13:25-13:33). I'm thinking to myself, "so what about similar verses that appear way before this?". Only thereafter the guy says basically that every similar verse that comes before this one was a revision. Then I'm thinking to myself, "okay, now I have to look for his source that makes him believe that every single verse thats similar to that one was revised once this one came about"

Theres some specifics you want me to cover so point them out. Even better would be a paraphrase. I'll always respond unless I come out and say I won't. Respect my time and I will yours

EDIT: "Judaism has always been monotheistic". I originally had "Judaism was originally henotheistic"

Other gods are certainly mentioned/prohibited, but only in the context that other people worshiped them(idols), not that they were actually believed to have existed (in the Torah, by faithful Israelites)

Then again, this all goes back to their claim of what was revised...

Last edited by BuGzBuNNy : 01-08-2013 at 02:25 PM.
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: