Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
hawksdogsbraves
Child, please

hawksdogsbraves is considered somewhat coolhawksdogsbraves is considered somewhat coolhawksdogsbraves is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Brooklyn Nets make Phil Jackson their top target

Why would any good coach come to Brooklyn? It's a lose-lose situation.
hawksdogsbraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This isn't a team that IMO has the pieces on the roster to be a legitimate contender. Am i missing something? I'd still be surprised.

Waiting on Laker fans to skewer Phil for that last year if he takes the Nets job.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #18
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Would Net fans take this? (This is what i think is more likely what he wants).

Phil running basketball operations. Shaw as coach, Phil teaching him. Not Phil day to day coaching.

I think Phil wants big payday, to run operations, and NY would be a big plus. The Laker thing if you look at his interest, he didn't want to coach day to day, and seemed interested in personnel decisions before the Lakers (stupidly) pulled the plug on talking to him.

I don't see as attractive day to day for years coaching a team whose title aspirations are not very good.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

IMO the nets' title aspirations are no worse than the knicks, except that the knicks, under excellent leadership, have found a way to get the most out of their talent. most of the nets players haven't even been coming to play lately.

anyway, i would probably be okay with jackson running basketball operations and grooming shaw. if you want phil, you should be prepared to give him whatever he wants at this point. he's 67 with some fairly serious health issues. unless you own a time machine, that's just the reality of the situation these days.

Quote:
Waiting on Laker fans to skewer Phil for that last year if he takes the Nets job.
not sure what you mean by that. lakers fans have absolutely nothing to complain about jackson over in any way, shape or form. okay, well... at least as far as i know.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #20
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
IMO the nets' title aspirations are no worse than the knicks, except that the knicks, under excellent leadership, have found a way to get the most out of their talent. most of the nets players haven't even been coming to play lately.

anyway, i would probably be okay with jackson running basketball operations and grooming shaw. if you want phil, you should be prepared to give him whatever he wants at this point. he's 67 with some fairly serious health issues. unless you own a time machine, that's just the reality of the situation these days.

not sure what you mean by that. lakers fans have absolutely nothing to complain about jackson over in any way, shape or form. okay, well... at least as far as i know.

IF Phil takes the Nets job, be prepared (fairly or unfairly) to hear about the fact Phil cruised the last year with the Lakers, didn't care, didn't do anything, etc. I already see rumblings. Just an observation, not very important one.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #21
NLZ
High School JV MVP

NLZ is starting to rub some people the wrong wayNLZ is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerOO
This team has no future HOFer's. He wont coach it.
Exactly... PJ is way too high-profile for this. He's too good of a coach to coach any team that doesn't have at least one future HOFer on it.
NLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

BTW, i think the idea that jackson is only willing to take on championship-ready teams is almost complete BS.

in chicago, he took on a team with one superstar ballhog who couldn't lead a team, and a mediocre squad. his first time in LA, he took on another ballhog star and a superstar big man who couldn't win the big game. his second time around with LA, he took on a team with a guy he virtually despised and a collection of players who didn't look like they were particularly going anywhere.

it's as much a testament to what he did with the talent as what was there before him. those players won virtually squat before he came along.

so, yea... i don't see any real evidence that jackson takes the safe bet, ever. the nets certainly have some talent, and he may see the situation as not unsimilar to his prior moves for all we know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
IF Phil takes the Nets job, be prepared (fairly or unfairly) to hear about the fact Phil cruised the last year with the Lakers, didn't care, didn't do anything, etc. I already see rumblings. Just an observation, not very important one.
alright, i see. and well, i usually don't waste my time listening to idiots, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #23
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
BTW, i think the idea that jackson is only willing to take on championship-ready teams is almost complete BS.

in chicago, he took on a team with one superstar ballhog who couldn't lead a team, and a mediocre squad. his first time in LA, he took on another ballhog star and a superstar big man who couldn't win the big game. his second time around with LA, he took on a team with a guy he virtually despised and a collection of players who didn't look like they were particularly going anywhere.

it's as much a testament to what he did with the talent as what was there before him. those players won virtually squat before he came along.

so, yea... i don't see any real evidence that jackson takes the safe bet, ever. the nets certainly have some talent, and he may see the situation as not unsimilar to his prior moves for all we know.

alright, i see. and well, i usually don't waste my time listening to idiots, so that shouldn't be a problem.

In his prior situations (and the second time he came back with the Lakers) you had seminal talents that you looked at and said "this is a central figure i can win a title with", Jordan in Chicago and Shaq (and Kobe to a lesser extent) in LA. The first one you can argue, the second one - that Laker team was underachieving but was stacked. I don't see the comparison specifically there you are making to the Nets at all. I know Shaq could win a title at that point, i don't know that about Deron nor have i seen much that makes me think it's true.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #24
niko
I Run NY.

It's kind of irrelevent the more i think about it, who knows what he wants now? Or what he thinks of the roster? Clearly he won't say "i don't think this team is ready but $20M a year, come at me bro" no matter what. And him thinking it doesn't make it true, and him thinking the Nets aren't title ready doesn't make it true either.

Interesting stuff.....following the Nets seems to involve watching the tea leaves a lot.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
francesco totti
Decent college freshman

francesco totti has decent reputationfrancesco totti has decent reputation

the thing is nets are stuck with this team for some years, and its a very shit team..no future, no present.

take the money phiil, hurt ur legacy plz
francesco totti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #26
niko
I Run NY.

Billy King is basically signing his way out of town hiring Phil, no?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #27
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
In his prior situations (and the second time he came back with the Lakers) you had seminal talents that you looked at and said "this is a central figure i can win a title with", Jordan in Chicago and Shaq (and Kobe to a lesser extent) in LA. The first one you can argue, the second one - that Laker team was underachieving but was stacked. I don't see the comparison specifically there you are making to the Nets at all. I know Shaq could win a title at that point, i don't know that about Deron nor have i seen much that makes me think it's true.

It's kind of irrelevent the more i think about it, who knows what he wants now? Or what he thinks of the roster? Clearly he won't say "i don't think this team is ready but $20M a year, come at me bro" no matter what. And him thinking it doesn't make it true, and him thinking the Nets aren't title ready doesn't make it true either.

Interesting stuff.....following the Nets seems to involve watching the tea leaves a lot.
hmm, seminal talents.... i think hindsight can make the glasses awfully rosy, is what i think.

the one and only player jackson took on who you would have to think would win a championship one day no matter what was shaq. jordan at the time was a flashy guy who held the team back beyond a certain point (early playoff rounds) and kobe bryant was a total headcase who looked about as effective as an allen iverson in leading a team to a ring. as much of a detriment as a help, in other words.

the nets certainly don't have a shaq, but they've already proven they can compete well with good teams when they're motivated. add the right PF and you can at least see them being contenders, if nothing more.

regardless, arguing over this kind of thing is basically pointless.

i do agree with you that trying to typecast PJ's decision-making too much is probably a mistake. for all we know, he may view this as the right opportunity to take the next step, into mgmt.

prokhy is already spending a fortune already, so if there's anyone who can offer $20m a year, it's him.

OTOH, jackson is not really someone who needs money, so in the end, if there's nothing he really likes in brooklyn, all of this may be extremely wishful thinking by us nets fans.

EDIT: yea, king may be signing up to be jackson's water boy at this point. OTOH, king's position is not necessarily the same as other GM's. he didn't actually want to fire AJ, for example.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #28
Funnyfuka
National High School Star

Funnyfuka is starting to rub some people the wrong way

even pjax cant do shit with such a crap team.
Funnyfuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #29
smush=mvp!
Venezuela Beast

smush=mvp! is a pretty well-respected postersmush=mvp! is a pretty well-respected postersmush=mvp! is a pretty well-respected poster

the only PJ they are getting is PJ Carlesimo
smush=mvp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #30
9erempiree
27 yrs of watching NBA

9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Phil's the type of coach that gets teams over the hump.

Nets are nowhere near a team that is contending for a title.

The are a B-list team. Phil only coaches A-list teams.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: