Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #16
The Answer
National High School Star

The Answer has decent reputationThe Answer has decent reputation
Default Re: OT: scientology

A year or so ago a buddy of mine and I were down in Tampa enjoying a pleasant vacation. One night, without anything better to do, we decided to check out a mall, and see if they had anything cool going on. It turns out they didn't as it was apparently a new mall with only about 10-20% of it's stores open.

We wanted to make the best of it though, so we invented a stupid little game and were busy playing when a strange man, acting unusually nice, approaced us. He led us to a booth run by a few of his friends and began telling us about a book called Dianetics. Immediately, the name struck a chord in my mind and I knew what it was. Despite the erge to reveal this crucial piece of information to my friend, I held my tongue. The man kept going and going for what seemed like days when finally, after what I'm sure he intended to be a brief pause, I whispered the word Scientology to my friend and their response was quite strange. They just stared at me angrily, and the unusual man ceased speaking for atleast half a minute. It was as if I had just said some horrible profanity. It was clear to me that they didn't want people to know what church they were really from. My friend, a bit of a collector of religious works, decided to purchase a copy, purely out of interest and not with any intent of converting. In order to do this though, they made him fill out some form in which he had to put his mailing address and name and other similar information. Of course he bs'd it, and I mean he totally made sh!t up. Lied about his age, name, and even the state he was from. And who in their right mind wouldn't? I, for one, wouldn't want them bombarding me with their crap all the time.

A couple of weeks later, he was stunned to see a letter in the mail from none other than the Church of Scientology. To this day, they regularly send him stuff. I mean who the hell are these people? How did they discover his real identity? It's a really bizarre and creepy situation.

Last edited by The Answer : 02-02-2007 at 07:43 PM.
The Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:39 PM   #17
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

GoRapz has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
That South Park episode was classic, with the caption: "Warning: Scientologists ACTUALLY believe this."

oh man I remember that.

I didn't know what scientology was up until today. Now that South Park episode is starting to make more sence and is making me laugh I thought they were just playin around.

This was the episode where that one guy ate the baby and his head got bigger right?
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:40 PM   #18
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

I used to see the Dianetics people giving free stress tests in the times square subway station every week, but it seemed like they stayed away when that South Park episode hit. I have a feeling too many people were making wise cracks for them to recruit new cult members, but I wouldn't really know. Maybe it was just coincidence.

When I lived in Boston, the "church" would pay people $5 to watch a movie with Tom Cruise and John Travolta telling you how awesome they are.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #19
nashforprez
Local High School Star

nashforprez has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRapz
oh man I remember that.

I didn't know what scientology was up until today. Now that South Park episode is starting to make more sence and is making me laugh I thought they were just playin around.

This was the episode where that one guy ate the baby and his head got bigger right?

you guys need to read about the super adventure club. i believe they have strong ties with scientology
nashforprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #20
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

I have been to scientology camps, they are worth it, I'm totally onboard, I'd give up a couple months of labour to do more (since I can't afford it)
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #21
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
I have been to scientology camps, they are worth it, I'm totally onboard, I'd give up a couple months of labour to do more (since I can't afford it)

ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #22
Chairman_Yao
Kids at the park dunk on me

Chairman_Yao has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Answer
A year or so ago a buddy of mine and I were down in Tampa enjoying a pleasant vacation. One night, without anything better to do, we decided to check out a mall, and see if they had anything cool going on. It turns out they didn't as it was apparently a new mall with only about 10-20% of it's stores open.

We wanted to make the best of it though, so we invented a stupid little game and were busy playing when a strange man, acting unusually nice, approaced us. He led us to a booth run by a few of his friends and began telling us about a book called Dianetics. Immediately, the name struck a chord in my mind and I knew what it was. Despite the erge to reveal this crucial piece of information to my friend, I held my tongue. The man kept going and going for what seemed like days when finally, after what I'm sure he intended to be a brief pause, I whispered the word Scientology to my friend and their response was quite strange. They just stared at me angrily, and the unusual man ceased speaking for atleast half a minute. It was as if I had just said some horrible profanity. It was clear to me that they didn't want people to know what church they were really from. My friend, a bit of a collector of religious works, decided to purchase a copy, purely out of interest and not with any intent of converting. In order to do this though, they made him fill out some form in which he had to put his mailing address and name and other similar information. Of course he bs'd it, and I mean he totally made sh!t up. Lied about his age, name, and even the state he was from. And who in their right mind wouldn't? I, for one, wouldn't want them bombarding me with their crap all the time.

A couple of weeks later, he was stunned to see a letter in the mail from none other than the Church of Scientology. To this day, they regularly send him stuff. I mean who the hell are these people? How did they discover his real identity? It's a really bizarre and creepy situation.

Wow, yeah, that'd be pretty creepy. . .soo, stay away from strange men with books?
. . .wonder if they'll start visiting him soon?
Chairman_Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:39 PM   #23
The Answer
National High School Star

The Answer has decent reputationThe Answer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman_Yao

Wow, yeah, that'd be pretty creepy. . .soo, stay away from strange men with books?
. . .wonder if they'll start visiting him soon?

I don't know man. They've probably already got his house bugged or something.
The Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:42 PM   #24
Chairman_Yao

Quote:

Would not be surprised. . .

*scared*
Old 02-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #25
Batchoy
Decent playground baller

Batchoy has an OK reputation so far

I believe that Scientology was banned in Germany as a cult. Too many horror stories to tell about. Can get away with illegal practices because they are like rabid dogs when their beliefs (ancient aliens???) are being attacked. They have lawyers, private detectives, and money up the wazoo.
Batchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #26
Horde of Temujin
Operat.Northwoods=9/11

Horde of Temujin has decent reputation

Quote:

They probably already have lawsuits pending against him in 4 states.
Horde of Temujin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #27
Horde of Temujin
Operat.Northwoods=9/11

Horde of Temujin has decent reputation

And Tom Cruise and Travolta hiding in his closet.
Horde of Temujin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #28
Chairman_Yao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horde of Temujin
They probably already have lawsuits pending against him in 4 states.

Oh, they do, and Tom Cruise and Travolta? No question about it. . .
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: