Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
SacJB Shady
College superstar

Default Do you think superstars will stop trying to form super teams?

I mean come to think about it, it is a little bit embarrassing. When superstars form a team, they are expected to win even if the odds are against them. And when they don't win, it just doesn't look good. The Lakers are a perfect example. Now they may make the playoffs and end up with a winning record, but they have absolutely zero chance of winning the finals. Zip Zada Zilch. And that is even if everyone is fully healthy.

Even when miami won it, Im sure that Lebron will never know what it's like to win a championship the right way. You do that by either letting your owners make trades or you let players in the system become farm grown and let them develop.

Same as Boston. They are a little different but when they won it it was only because all 3 purposely joined together.

But I think after a while, people have to realized that while having a super team might work, it might not work either. It's not something that's even close to guaranteed. And even when it does work, it doesn't have a genuinely real feeling. It's just a bought ring.

The best way to do it is to play as a whole team superstars or not. And let's be honest a lot of superstars are just hyped up good players. You need a lot of pieces to win. Taking a short cut might win you one or two, but you never will know what it's like to really win it.
SacJB Shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Foster5k
College star

Default Re: Do you think superstars will stop trying to form super teams?

Hell no! Super teams is a formula proven to win championships. If anything, more stars will form super teams.
Foster5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
SacJB Shady
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster5k
Hell no! Super teams is a formula proven to win championships. If anything, more stars will form super teams.

Except when you win, you're not proud of anything in your heart
SacJB Shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Super teams saved the NBA.

What the Heat did was embarrassing, but only for them.

Superteams have always won in the NBA. How you do it, doesn't really matter to me. Just because some organizations are capable of doing it from in house doesn't mean, that it's wrong when players take it within their own hands to form a superteam. Should Lebron have waited for the Cavaliers front office to make all the moves that eventually decide his legacy? No. Should Carmelo have waited for the Nuggets to realize what they're doing is preserving mediocrity and have no chance at a title with the path they were going? No.

It takes a super team most years to win a title. Granted, the Heat took it to a new level when they acquired 3 superstars in their prime to build on. But the Showtime Lakers were one of the all time great superteams, the Celtics with Bird were right along with them. The Bulls in the 90s were a superteam, the Shaq/Kobe Lakers were a superteam.

These teams are very marketable for the league, and make the league more competitive. This crop of teams in the NBA that have occurred because of forced trades and whatever, makes this a potential Golden Era in the NBA.

And when I say what the Heat did was embarassing. It's only embarrassing because Lebron followed perhaps his biggest rival in the NBA (in terms of matchups you like to watch out East) who had already won a title and finals MVP to try to get him one too. Wade and Bosh plus the extra cap space could've formed a championship caliber team. There were many options out there for Lebron to do the same in NY, with Dwight Howard, with Derrick Rose, with the Clippers, in Dallas....wherever.

Last edited by Y2Gezee : 12-29-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
eriX
Good High School Starter

This again?

You said it yourself, forming a superteam is not a guaranteed success it may or may not work. So how exactly does forming a 'super team' makes it easier then?

With superstars comes big contract, meaning a horrible bench. Lakers is the prime example.
eriX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

I think versions of superteams will always be there. I'm personally just hopeful the fad of star players deciding to so quickly abandon ship on their own team's process toward winning a ring in favor of trying to super stack a team in order to theoretically win as easily as possible passes soon enough.

I have a tough time articulating my feelings in this regard, but there's been something different about some of the superstar free agent happenings of the past two or three years in comparison to how things worked before then. I can't tell if it's more entitlement, a loss of competitive drive, or just players flat out feeling like winning by any means (even mega stacking the odds in your own favor) is the key to the hearts of America. Or maybe it's none of that.

I'm just a little weary of the "superstar says trade me to here, here, or here, elsewise I'm leaving for nothing at the end of the season to join the team that already has five superstars" stories. It really bums me out because as a fan of basketball, winning really isn't what it's all about to me. I'm more interested in the game and how it's played. I really like winning but as Larry Brown might say, I like it most when it's done the right way. And watching players who participate on one of the 29 teams that don't win every year then decide to bolt and all try to join that one team that wins is not fun to me.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
HiphopRelated
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I think versions of superteams will always be there. I'm personally just hopeful the fad of star players deciding to so quickly abandon ship on their own team's process toward winning a ring in favor of trying to super stack a team in order to theoretically win as easily as possible passes soon enough.

I have a tough time articulating my feelings in this regard, but there's been something different about some of the superstar free agent happenings of the past two or three years in comparison to how things worked before then. I can't tell if it's more entitlement, a loss of competitive drive, or just players flat out feeling like winning by any means (even mega stacking the odds in your own favor) is the key to the hearts of America. Or maybe it's none of that.

I'm just a little weary of the "superstar says trade me to here, here, or here, elsewise I'm leaving for nothing at the end of the season to join the team that already has five superstars" stories. It really bums me out because as a fan of basketball, winning really isn't what it's all about to me. I'm more interested in the game and how it's played. I really like winning but as Larry Brown might say, I like it most when it's done the right way. And watching players who participate on one of the 29 teams that don't win every year then decide to bolt and all try to join that one team that wins is not fun to me.
Well if they was praised for playing the game well instead of telling players they don't matter in the long run if they don't measure up to Jordan, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Can't have it both ways. Some organizations have not shown the ability to build teams, but history won't remember that, it will remember rings.
HiphopRelated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Purch
"Yung D-Will"

I have no problem with old players past their prime, like Kidd, Nash, Payton ext joining a contending team to ring chase.

However, I do think it looks bad when younger players take that route
Purch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Nash
NBA rookie of the year

Super teams? Its about being in the right market and thats something players will always seek to be. In any sports, soccer, basketball etc etc everyone looks to be in the big cities and everyone aims to play with the best.
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
KOBE143
In GawdBe We Trust

This will not stop unless they have Kobe's mentality..
KOBE143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
Noof
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
Except when you win, you're not proud of anything in your heart
You really believe that? You think Lebron isn't proud of his chip because he's on a super team?
Noof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
cavsfanatic
Local High School Star

what super team has been formed since Miami? Okc was drafted and Harden left to make more mulah. Lakers? they ain't join imo. Dwight ain't even wanna go there and he leaving after this season unless he get more shots. Clippers ain't even join together. you think The Knicks a super team? lmao.

It's one super team that joined together and that's Miami. I don't even have a problem doing what they did now
cavsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
BlackWhiteGreen
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
Even when miami won it, Im sure that Lebron will never know what it's like to win a championship the right way. You do that by either letting your owners make trades or you let players in the system become farm grown and let them develop.

Same as Boston. They are a little different but when they won it it was only because all 3 purposely joined together.

Congrats on contradicting yourself, Allen and Garnett were traded to the Celtics
BlackWhiteGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #14
Derka
Go C's!

Winning a championship or two is required on your resume to be considered a great ball player. Until such a time as this is no longer the case, players are going to do everything in their power to increase their chances of achieving this, including forming super teams.

Can't say I fault them. These guys are protective as hell of their legacy and super competitive with each other.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #15
livingby3's
The 1-man fastbreak.

A team of allstars/ superstars being able to come together and playing well as a unit, is not an easy task. sure you can argue that winning seems less individually significant, but basketball is a team sport. Why watch one guy per team come out every game taking 20 over shots.

I think it's a pretty sight that superstars are able to play together at a high level, each taking over on particular games. The Celtics, Heat and recently the Lakers. To me it's entertaining to see these big names players put their skill sets together and sharing the glory
livingby3's is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: