Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
KOBE143
In GawdBe We Trust

KOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardKOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardKOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardKOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardKOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardKOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Do you think superstars will stop trying to form super teams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noof
You really believe that? You think Lebron isn't proud of his chip because he's on a super team?
Theres nothing to be proud with just .5 ring tho..
KOBE143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #17
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

ralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
Except when you win, you're not proud of anything in your heart

I nominate this for worst sentence ever. I'm sure the celtics and heat are very ashamed of their titles
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #18
Derka
Go C's!

Derka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOBE143

Its about time you people drop that foolishness.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #19
Sakkreth
Raptors/LTU/Zalgiris

Sakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noof
You really believe that? You think Lebron isn't proud of his chip because he's on a super team?

without him it's a long shot to a superteam.
Sakkreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #20
JerryWest
kobeee!!

JerryWest posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryJerryWest posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

I would prefer teams to build through draft picks and player development but most of the time it takes a ridiculous amount of time, unless your the Oklahoma Thunder.

So I wouldn't mind teams having superstar players together, better than seeing mediocre and horrible teams fight among each other.
JerryWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiphopRelated
Well if they was praised for playing the game well instead of telling players they don't matter in the long run if they don't measure up to Jordan, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Can't have it both ways. Some organizations have not shown the ability to build teams, but history won't remember that, it will remember rings.
Yeah, what I stated was truly just my own opinion and I recognize that many do not agree with me. I'm definitely someone who recognizes great players for being great players, regardless of NBA championships won.

I think the idea of judging how great basketball players are based upon how many championships they won is borderline preposterous. Teams that win often contain great great players, but I do not believe all great players are fortunate enough to be on teams that are good enough to win, regardless of any circumstance (even attempting to stack teams).

In tennis, I can understand how individual player legacies could be built around championships. In a team sports, I do not believe the ability of players should be as closely tied to their team's success. As such, I find it unfortunate when players attempt to win by any off court means necessary, as if winning a championship somehow makes them a better player.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #22
cavsfanatic
Local High School Star

cavsfanatic has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOBE143
weird, I just looked and it says Lebron and Bosh have 1 whole ring and Wade has 2. Take lebron off that team and they don't win the finals
cavsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #23
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I will never understand this criticism. Winning championships is very difficult, and that's the whole point of the game. Why would anyone purposely make it more difficult than they have to? It's still no guarantee that they'll win. Last year, it took a dominant playoff run from Lebron to finally win. As it turned out, Wade wasn't 100% and inconsistent, Bosh missed most of 2 series, and they needed Lebron to play at his full potential. He earned that ring as much as anyone. They'll still probably need that to win, even if they are healthy. Same with Boston, what they all did was impressive. Garnett had to be the DPOY, and still his usual 20/10 self, while Pierce still had to score like Paul Pierce in addition to stepping up defensively, and Allen had to adjust as the 3rd guy playing primarily without the ball. They all made it work, and that in itself was an accomplishment which they were rewarded for.

This isn't exactly new. Barkley joined a great Suns team in his prime, had an incredible season and still fell just short. On the other hand, Moses Malone in his prime joined a Sixers team with Dr. J who had made it to the finals the year before. It was still a hell of an accomplishment for Moses to prove himself as the best player in the game that year and put that Sixer team among the best teams of all-time. Wilt who was coming off 3 straight MVPs and had already won a title requested a trade to LA to form a big 3 with West and Baylor, who had lost in the finals so many times, I lost count. They ended up losing in a ridiculously close 7 game series to Boston before losing in another 7 game series to another all-time great team in the '70 Knicks due to Clyde's huge game and the "Willis Reed game." Baylor was pretty much done after that and never won a ring despite countless close calls like one of the closest finals ever in '62 when he had one of the great finals series ever. But West finally got his in '72 and Wilt finally got his second. They ended up as one of the great teams of all-time again, thwarted a potential dynasty in Milwaukee and set a record with a 33 game winning streak that still has yet to be approached.

That's what most remember about these older "super teams." The accomplishments. I don't see why it should be any different now. Part of it is Lebron's fault in how he handled everything. His ridiculous comments and the comical "Decision" gave people more of a reason to root for him to fail.

There are other super teams that weren't formed the same way such as the Showtime Lakers. Magic was drafted by them, but they happened to have the game's best player Kareem who would be voted MVP for a record 6th time in Magic's rookie season in addition to all-stars like Jamaal Wilkes(now a hall of famer) and Norm Nixon. They'd add more hall of famers with Bob McAdoo in '82, who came off the bench, but gave them all-star caliber play for that title and James Worthy a year later. There was no need to go to another team, and all anyone remembers is how Magic delivered and became one of the game's greats, and that's how it should be.

All of these players recognize the importance of having great players around them. Why do you think Michael Jordan threatened to retire prior to the '98 season when Chicago wanted to trade Pippen?
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #24
Segatti
Good High School Starter

Segatti has no real reputation yet.

Quote:

Lol. Who cares about this gay shit? A champioship is a championship, period.
Segatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
You think LeBron isn't proud of winning his first title?
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #26
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Money 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
Super teams saved the NBA.

What the Heat did was embarrassing, but only for them.

Superteams have always won in the NBA. How you do it, doesn't really matter to me. Just because some organizations are capable of doing it from in house doesn't mean, that it's wrong when players take it within their own hands to form a superteam. Should Lebron have waited for the Cavaliers front office to make all the moves that eventually decide his legacy? No. Should Carmelo have waited for the Nuggets to realize what they're doing is preserving mediocrity and have no chance at a title with the path they were going? No.

It takes a super team most years to win a title. Granted, the Heat took it to a new level when they acquired 3 superstars in their prime to build on. But the Showtime Lakers were one of the all time great superteams, the Celtics with Bird were right along with them. The Bulls in the 90s were a superteam, the Shaq/Kobe Lakers were a superteam.

These teams are very marketable for the league, and make the league more competitive. This crop of teams in the NBA that have occurred because of forced trades and whatever, makes this a potential Golden Era in the NBA.

And when I say what the Heat did was embarassing. It's only embarrassing because Lebron followed perhaps his biggest rival in the NBA (in terms of matchups you like to watch out East) who had already won a title and finals MVP to try to get him one too. Wade and Bosh plus the extra cap space could've formed a championship caliber team. There were many options out there for Lebron to do the same in NY, with Dwight Howard, with Derrick Rose, with the Clippers, in Dallas....wherever.
Agreed with everything but the bold.

The late 90's Bulls, maybe. But I don't consider Rodman an all star caliber player. I think to be a "superteam" you need at least 3 LEGIT star caliber players. The 90's Bulls were dominant because of Jordan, Pippen, rapport, rebounding and defense.

This wasn't like the Lakers w/ Jabbar, Magic, and Worthy or the Celtics w/ Bird, McHale, Parish
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #27
SacJB Shady
College superstar

SacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segatti
Lol. Who cares about this gay shit? A champioship is a championship, period.

Okay so if a team had 10 all stars, you would feel good about a ring?
SacJB Shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #28
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Okay so if a team had 10 all stars, you would feel good about a ring?

People really have trouble with context. You know damn well that we'll never see a team like that so it's a pointless analogy. We have however seen teams with 4-5 all-star caliber players. The '83 Sixers had 4 actual all-stars that year, and Bobby Jones who had been an all-star the previous 2 years coming off the bench. That team also had 2 superstars. The '82 Lakers had 3 actual all-stars in addition to Jamaal Wilkes who was an all-star the previous year and following year and Bob McAdoo, a former league-MVP and 3-time scoring champ who averaged 17/7 on 56% for them in the playoffs coming off the bench. And like the Sixers, this team also still had 2 superstars. The '86 Celtics also had 2 superstars, 3 players actually selected to the all-star team that year in addition to Dennis Johnson, a hall of famer who had made the all-star team the previous year and 6th man of the year, Bill Walton who was also a former league and finals MVP who often gave them all-star caliber play in limited minutes.

You think every one of these teams are proud of their rings? You can bet your ass they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money 23
Agreed with everything but the bold.

The late 90's Bulls, maybe. But I don't consider Rodman an all star caliber player. I think to be a "superteam" you need at least 3 LEGIT star caliber players. The 90's Bulls were dominant because of Jordan, Pippen, rapport, rebounding and defense.

This wasn't like the Lakers w/ Jabbar, Magic, and Worthy or the Celtics w/ Bird, McHale, Parish

Rodman was borderline, except for '96. He was great that year, and without question an all-star level player in the playoffs. The Bulls did have a 3rd guy much closer to all-star level than the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, though.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #29
red1
Dinosaurs

red1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

do you think men will stop trying to f*ck women?
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #30
red1
Dinosaurs

red1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

every championship team ever is a superteam relative to the rest of the league at the time
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: