Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #541
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

Default Re: Nation-State Draft 3

Embersyc

It’s ok to have Thomas Jefferson as a first pick, it’s a safe move. Founder of a nation, cornerstone type of guy, why not. Tesla I think is kind of controversial to be the second pick but he is a badass, good for an icon to lead science-no-this-is-science thing. I like it. Sun Tzu did write that awesome book we know (by commentaries, ofcourse). He’s as good for military as anybody. Buddha – not sure what he plays in this bunch but he is top 10 influential so no worries, a safe pick. Alexander Hamilton – nice to meet him – cannot tell anything against him, I’m just not too familiar with him. Engels is a figure too, but seems out of place in there with two American politicians. I need a rationale on that. Fermi got a Nobels, so never a bad choice, plus it’s a electro-nuclo-punch. Very applyable, put Americans to use it... But where’s Engels and Buddha in this, again. Von Braun is another figure that is prominent, but don’t seem to match. Carl Sagan – explain. Might not be a sissy, but what. Hippocrates is alright as 10th pick (right), Norvig supposed to be contemporary superstar, but I need teamplay on this. It has the weight as a list, but where’s that value added, I can’t see it straight away :) It was a bonus for not picking a country first, but did you forget that entirely?

LO
USA – very obvious, but maybe too obvious too me – you would have everybody’s eyes on this... It’s like scene from Hunger Games, you don’t want that big target on you from the very first day. Anyway, let’s see how you could defend this, as it is enormous piece of land. ‘Zander is aight, maybe known for mainly offense but yes, he is mega. Jesus prevails, too, kind of soft power that could-be-conquerors meet, just like in history. Rockefeller – what is he known for along being a businessman? Honestly, I do not know much, please write down... Lincoln is a decent pick, Edison to bring innovations, Shakespeare... Where does he go? A prominent figure, yes, but I wonder what is his actual impact on the culture, not just poetry. I know that it is, but what is it. Steve Jobs can go to hell and take Zuckerberg with him, personally, but they do belong to the rest of the core of Americans. That’s pop culture, right... Diana should have been drafted eventually, and Steinman is a less known to me but it’s fine. Women get you bonuses, but I feel like after a very strong start you went just to please everybody and have one of each. Chemistry is not where you bake pancake put a little tortilla on it an sauce and you expect it to taste, you know. An economist? Although I think economists are overrated these days. But alright...

Last edited by kNIOKAS : 01-06-2013 at 06:25 PM.
kNIOKAS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #542
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
This is exactly who I thought TimmyD was going to select. No package deals!

Naw but that's a good idea too.

I won't name drop who I wanted but when I tell you later you'll be all: "Ohhhhhhhh!"
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #543
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Btw AH my picks list from last time I sent you some is void. I'll send you a new one if need be.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #544
embersyc
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
Embersyc

I need teamplay on this. It has the weight as a list, but where’s that value added, I can’t see it straight away :) It was a bonus for not picking a country first, but did you forget that entirely?

Well I guess that's why we do a write-up, hopefully I can clear up some of the mysteries, although I don't want to discuss my strategy with the draft still going. Since it was extended to 12 rounds, I still get one more pick, so don't worry I didn't forget a country actually had one in mind since the beginning that I knew nobody would take.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #545
embersyc
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
I won't name drop who I wanted but when I tell you later you'll be all: "Ohhhhhhhh!"

Do you have 1 half of the combo already?

Also you get 1 more pick as soon as Knickballer goes.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #546
TheSilentKiller
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
Well I guess that's why we do a write-up, hopefully I can clear up some of the mysteries, although I don't want to discuss my strategy with the draft still going. Since it was extended to 12 rounds, I still get one more pick, so don't worry I didn't forget a country actually had one in mind since the beginning that I knew nobody would take.
The write ups don't mean too much until you guys start arguing your cases. It is tough to for judges to see what you guys are thinking without some help.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #547
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

Zen

Leo is cornerstone man and a great pick. All in one, very iconic and inlfluential. Italy is a match, let’s see what is next. Napo’, Aristotle, Hannibal and Genghis Khan?? This is more than punch, and how Genghis dropped so low. Then you go with an economist, ruler, businessman, another economist, and a prominent women to finish it off with a bonus... Give me some soul in this! Just an another Roman Empire or what. It looks strong, but I think it makes ‘Vinci sit up in his grave and roll his eyes (I don’t know the man, but I assume). Strong, very pragmatic, much like Embersyc, but a little short for me.

CeltsG

Russia is biting more than you can chew, to me, but let it roll… It also tells me it’s kind of stunted development/certain age boomer type of a nation. Archimedes are there to get things moving from the scratch. Constantine the Great, Pope John Paul 2, I can definitely see where it is going! Liking this so far, they fit together in a religious state that it is, great rulers to keep it afloat til the bang comes. Suvorov with his record does the manly stuff, Walras the economy and s**t, Seneca, and Hegel is definitely the steal. Richelieu is a bit of overkill in governing to me, but it fits with the rest and the steal with Hegel (who can ‘stand him, by the way…). Michelangelo shouldn’t have dropped this far down, Subutai – didn’t know this one, but he must be that Genghis’ general that is highly decorated. Maybe ‘Mikel stands out too much, and it might be little uneasy in this, seems to be, religious and medieval tightly governed society (? After averaging everything), but the concept is there, and that gets points. It’s cohesive to me, and a fairly unique set of people.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #548
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

JB7

China – very welcoming country to build on, I like this a lot. Keyness for a start? Um not my taste, but if you going with China you have to do icanomy like no tomorrow, I guess. Ok. Beno a safe pick to me, you better find where to use Feynman right. With Rothschild this gets more and more of a vision, don’t know about Chinese guy but you have to give people to the people, and you finally treat them right with the next pick, I guess? Friedrich Hayek (not too common with him) supposed to add another twist on this, Turing is there to offer services, Saladin is a steal, Monty Jones after reading on him makes a ton of sense and I could see this being country of superb economy and ruling, basically China without cons but pros. Military would help, though, and some spiritual leaders. But I’m a fan of a concept first, and I’m excited for this one.

Anti Hero

Apriori this is China turned bad, but let’s see… Mao – lol he lived in strongest era of mass murder, as it was noted and that was exactly how it was noted on ISH. LMAO. Not really having time to read up all the uknown figures to me, sorry for cultural bias, but dis gon b good… Zhukov a decent pick, ant this ant (re)public could go apeshit on your ass… Picked isolated Australia for this, I think that was a mistake… The more boundaries the easier to export this shit, so I don’t know. But this is concept went coconuts, and we’ll see what Anti Hero has to say about it.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #549
CeltsGarlic
straight from...

Very awesome work kniokas. I was reading about everyone with great interest. Good style, solid and sincere points. Defending our picks and ideas will be the top tho.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #550
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

TimmyD

I think picking a country first could be a miss, and picking Saudo Arabia is a shot to the ass (self). It is a desert and seems to have the only one resource wanted, it’s kind of a ho with only one thing to offer. Washington, Madison being leaders with some top-notch off-the-chain scientists, some IT guys too and an economist that wasn’t taken with the top picks. I dislike Dysney being along the other guys, and I suppose this is being a country dominating the world by applying modern science yet having some good ol government leadership. Well…

Knicksballer

Plato – right first pick, Otto is there sitting happily, Brazil (bonus for not getting country first), Giusseppe for the action hero, then you having economy set and Augustus?? I wish it was Augustine of Hippo, and a steal at that, but ok. Economy first, taking care of this and that, strong leadership and can stand on its own… Pretty decent, but tell me how Orwell faces with Goebbels, and what’s the very big picture of this, as in, direction.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #551
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

Ok thanks guys I'll do the remaining two tomorrow... It feels bad to just throw out there incoherent impressions, but I'll have to think of it in those five (?) categories when it's the judgement time. I will also prepare some kind of scale of my own... Again, loving concept first.

Have fun!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #552
JerryWest
kobeee!!

Great writeup kniokas
-Lamar
JerryWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #553
embersyc
Lurker

Bla, did you somehow delete the post with your 12th pick? It disappeared.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #554
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
Bla, did you somehow delete the post with your 12th pick? It disappeared.
He picked Elvis
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #555
embersyc
Lurker

Bla please repost your pick, it got deleted.

Knickballer skipped

TimmyD is up, then Anti Hero
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: