Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #16
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

Default Re: Clippers' Opponents During Their Streak Have a Combined Record of 164-234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Nope, its embarrassing to rate an 8th best PG in the league as top 3 though.
There we go, bringing your mindless OKC hate into another thread where it's irrelevant
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:59 AM   #17
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Default Re: Clippers' Opponents During Their Streak Have a Combined Record of 164-234

They weren't just beating teams... they were beating teams senseless. Clippers are a well built team for getting regular season wins, and are a lock for a top 4 seed IMO. What happens when they get to the playoffs, the game slows down, and the rotation tightens, is still to be seen. I'm still not completely sold on their half court offense.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
The Redemption
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
They weren't just beating teams... they were beating teams senseless. Clippers are a well built team for getting regular season wins, and are a lock for a top 4 seed IMO. What happens when they get to the playoffs, the game slows down, and the rotation tightens, is still to be seen. I'm still not completely sold on their half court offense.

Clippers are only slightly worse than OKC in the halfcourt according to a brilliant breakdown I saw this week that broke down ppp in all scenarios, tempo etc. Basically the conclusion was the Clippers were slightly above average in the halfcourt at about 14th ranked. Now you have to remember the Clippers are ranked 20th in tempo and actually prefer to pace themselves. People see the highlights and assume it's a Run N Gun team which is false.

The Clippers fastbreaks are generated by being number 1 in the league in steals, turnovers forced and near the top in blocks. In otherwords it's their defense, not them running an uptempo system. So as long as the Clippers can play defense consistently in the playoffs it won't matter if the game slows down or not, they will impose their will on teams.

As for OKC... ironically the Clippers have had a tougher strength of schedule so it's weird to see OKC fans of all people constantly bringing up the weaker competition. It's hard to beat bad teams by an average of 15+ ppg.
The Redemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
bluechox2
#knickstape

congrats for this redundant feat...playoffs is all that matters
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #20
Burgz V2
Good college starter

it doesn't matter, 17 in a row is still amazing imo. Contenders are EXPECTED to beat all the mediocre teams, and that's what they did. Not just beat though, BEAT DOWN is more like it.

OKC still a more dangerous team IMO
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #21
NugzFan
NBA lottery pick

17 in a row is impressive no matter how you look at it.

however i want to know how its even possible for a western team to play 17 games in a row and the best teams they face are denver and chicago.
NugzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #22
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Redemption
Clippers are only slightly worse than OKC in the halfcourt according to a brilliant breakdown I saw this week that broke down ppp in all scenarios, tempo etc. Basically the conclusion was the Clippers were slightly above average in the halfcourt at about 14th ranked. Now you have to remember the Clippers are ranked 20th in tempo and actually prefer to pace themselves. People see the highlights and assume it's a Run N Gun team which is false.

The Clippers fastbreaks are generated by being number 1 in the league in steals, turnovers forced and near the top in blocks. In otherwords it's their defense, not them running an uptempo system. So as long as the Clippers can play defense consistently in the playoffs it won't matter if the game slows down or not, they will impose their will on teams.

As for OKC... ironically the Clippers have had a tougher strength of schedule so it's weird to see OKC fans of all people constantly bringing up the weaker competition. It's hard to beat bad teams by an average of 15+ ppg.

Relying on forcing turnovers and transition points off those turnovers has the same drawbacks as a team that runs a fast tempo offense. The question is still, what happens when the game slows down, and those easy transition buckets are reduced? You saw it last night when Denver took good care of the ball (I think Lawson had 1 TO).

So the question becomes how does the Clippers half court offense stack up against the elite teams out West. Is it better than OKC? Better than San Antonio? Better than Memphis?

I watch almost every Clippers game, and while they are obviously a very good team, I'm not overly impressed with their half court sets. In the end, I think it's going to take Blake Griffin elevating his game in the half court offense in order for the Clippers to beat the previously mentioned teams in a playoff series.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #23
The Redemption
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Relying on forcing turnovers and transition points off those turnovers has the same drawbacks as a team that runs a fast tempo offense. The question is still, what happens when the game slows down, and those easy transition buckets are reduced? You saw it last night when Denver took good care of the ball (I think Lawson had 1 TO).

So the question becomes how does the Clippers half court offense stack up against the elite teams out West. Is it better than OKC? Better than San Antonio? Better than Memphis?

I watch almost every Clippers game, and while they are obviously a very good team, I'm not overly impressed with their half court sets. In the end, I think it's going to take Blake Griffin elevating his game in the half court offense in order for the Clippers to beat the previously mentioned teams in a playoff series.

Last nights loss had everything to do with missing 14 free throws and going 5-29 from deep. They got more open looks than I've seen all season long yet still managed to shoot a horrid 38 percent. Stats would lead you to believe Denver played smothering defense but it was wide open look after wide open look.

Obviously the team is not an elite executing team in the halfcourt but that has improved a ton from last year and should keep improving. Something people seem to be forgetting is how bad Green and Butler have been this year. When Billups played 3 games before going back out the Clippers offensive and defensive stats actually skyrocketed. It wasn't his stats but rather his all around impact on the team. Both Green and Butler have a good game about once every two weeks.

Adding Grant Hill and Billups back to the team will boost it quite a bit. Billups is a more explosive scorer and better defender than Green who keeps the young guys focused. Hill is the best all around SF on the roster most likely and is still an elite defender and capable of scoring 10 points regularly off open jumpers.

Last edited by The Redemption : 01-02-2013 at 05:49 PM.
The Redemption is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: