Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
jazz873
College star
 
jazz873's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,990
Default Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

Aaron Rodgers
Christian ponder
Tom brady
Peyton manning
Russell Wilson
RG3
Matt Shaub
Joe flacco
Colin kaepernick
Andy dalton
Andrew luck
Matt Ryan
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #2
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,999
Default Re: Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

In the entire NFL? Romo

Of those you listed? I think Schaub or Flacco, both QBs are looked down on now and a ring would change all that.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year
 
Tarik One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,713
Default Re: Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873
Aaron Rodgers
Christian ponder
Tom brady
Peyton manning
Russell Wilson
RG3
Matt Shaub
Joe flacco
Colin kaepernick
Andy dalton
Andrew luck
Matt Ryan
I don't believe legacy is the right word for most of these qbs because they are still mostly new in the NFL and have many years to make names for themselves. If you we're to compare qbs who are in later stages of their careers, that would be more reasonable.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,817
Default Re: Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

Out of that list matt Ryan easily.

Schaub and flacco aren't elite period. If their teams win it will be the defense and running games that did it. And if they somehow do do great it will be a fluke.

Brady and Rodgers are already established.. And the rest are Rooks, basically blank slates.

Matt Ryan has been elite in the regular season but yet to follow through in the playoffs. He can either be a Rodgers or a romo. One more failure in the playoffs and we all know what pat he's headed down.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #5
jazz873
College star
 
jazz873's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,990
Default Re: Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
In the entire NFL? Romo

Of those you listed? I think Schaub or Flacco, both QBs are looked down on now and a ring would change all that.
Its every qb in the playoffs right now
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs
 
mlh1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 14,312
Default Re: Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

In a league where Trent dilfer/brad Johnson won rings, and Dan Marino didn't, I have always felt this was an overblown subject. Some guys have really good support around them, and others cannot overcome organizational ineptitude.

With that said, I think it would behoove Peyton manning to win another ring. He'd still have one less than Brady, but unlike Brady, he would have managed to win titles with 2 different organizations. Something to be said for that.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 20,794
Default Re: Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

Aaron Rodgers: Enters the "Greatest QB ever?" debate at a relatively young age.
Christian Ponder: Establishes himself as the Vikings' QB long-term. Currently the jury is still out.
Tom Brady: Has a weak GOAT QB argument. Another SB ring gives him a strong argument.
Peyton Manning: Same as Brady
Russell Wilson: Would...make a ton of money off the field. Not enough to make him considered "elite" but he would cement himself as the Seahawk QB even with a few years of struggling afterward.
RG3: Would become the top marketing star in the NFL. He could be seen as elite but it's hard to give a guy that status after one year.
Matt Shaub: Possibly the least-known good QB, a SB makes him a superstar.
Joe Flacco: He currently needs some vindication and this would give him that. Still not elite but he'd get to be the Ravens' QB his whole career.
Colin Kaepernick: No one would mention Alex Smith in SF again.
Andy Dalton: Same as Wilson
Andrew Luck: Same as Griffin
Matt Ryan: Career enters an HOF trajectory.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 7,945
Default Re: Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

Peyton Manning & Brady. They're playing for GOAT status amongst media, which is more than any other QB is playing for.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer
 
AboveTheRim.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 567
Default Re: Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Aaron Rodgers: Enters the "Greatest QB ever?" debate at a relatively young age.
Christian Ponder: Establishes himself as the Vikings' QB long-term. Currently the jury is still out.
Tom Brady: Has a weak GOAT QB argument. Another SB ring gives him a strong argument.
Peyton Manning: Same as Brady
Russell Wilson: Would...make a ton of money off the field. Not enough to make him considered "elite" but he would cement himself as the Seahawk QB even with a few years of struggling afterward.
RG3: Would become the top marketing star in the NFL. He could be seen as elite but it's hard to give a guy that status after one year.
Matt Shaub: Possibly the least-known good QB, a SB makes him a superstar.
Joe Flacco: He currently needs some vindication and this would give him that. Still not elite but he'd get to be the Ravens' QB his whole career.
Colin Kaepernick: No one would mention Alex Smith in SF again.
Andy Dalton: Same as Wilson
Andrew Luck: Same as Griffin
Matt Ryan: Career enters an HOF trajectory.



Agreed with pretty much everything other than the Matt Ryan statement. This year has been his best by far. To even consider HOF trajectory, he would have to not regress at all from this year, and I don't really see that happening.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
imdaman99
Knicks all da way
 
imdaman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,682
Default Re: Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

probably matt ryan. as it stands, he has bombed in 2 straight playoff games while being good in the regular season. eli also started 0-2.

we know peyton and brady are who they are, mvp candidates every year. maybe peyton enters GOAT status with another.

im not gonna like it if one of the rookies win it. ill include ponder, dalton and kap in here with the other 3.

rodgers is already on pace to become the GOAT if he were to win, schaub and flacco would cement themselves as franchise QBs.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 23,191
Default Re: Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

I think other than A-Rod, Brady, and Peyton winning a ring would only be a starting point at a chance of even having a legacy for all those QBs.

I agree with RMWG about those top 3 tho. Brady and Peyton solidfy their GOAT arguments and Rodgers sets himself up for a chance to be considered the uncontested GOAT at the end of his career.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
irondarts
.
 
irondarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

Peyton no doubt needs another ring.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,999
Default Re: Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
In a league where Trent dilfer/brad Johnson won rings, and Dan Marino didn't, I have always felt this was an overblown subject. Some guys have really good support around them, and others cannot overcome organizational ineptitude.

With that said, I think it would behoove Peyton manning to win another ring. He'd still have one less than Brady, but unlike Brady, he would have managed to win titles with 2 different organizations. Something to be said for that.
it is the single most overblown thing in all of sports IMO

it never really got under my skin until this year for some reason...in the NFL "rings" are a legit QB stat which is just stupidity for a sport with 53 man rosters. In the NBA it makes more sense with small teams led by 1-3 stars, but even in the NBA it shouldn't be used as any kind of gauge.

it drives me nuts because it isn't just kids and casual fans using "TEAM WINS" to rank players, it is also most of the media pumping this nonsense.

I hope one day people stop this...but I doubt it
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
jazz873
College star
 
jazz873's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,990
Default Re: Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
it is the single most overblown thing in all of sports IMO

it never really got under my skin until this year for some reason...in the NFL "rings" are a legit QB stat which is just stupidity for a sport with 53 man rosters. In the NBA it makes more sense with small teams led by 1-3 stars, but even in the NBA it shouldn't be used as any kind of gauge.

it drives me nuts because it isn't just kids and casual fans using "TEAM WINS" to rank players, it is also most of the media pumping this nonsense.

I hope one day people stop this...but I doubt it
Yeah i feel ya. So say Brady makes the superbowl and loses another one. Do you hold that against his legacy?
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan
 
Timmy D for MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 8,063
Default Re: Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

Of those in the playoffs? Alex Smith. I want it to happen so bad!

Uhh but of those you listed I think it's easily Matty Ice. Someone mentioned it earlier that with a ring he's starting to enter HoF territory if the rest of his career plays out well. He's been a dud thus far in the playoffs, a ring would really push him over the top.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy