Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #121
Rubio2Gasol
College star
 
Rubio2Gasol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,932
Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

Unfortunately in cases like this where the media plays a large role - 99 percent of the time the decision is going to be the safe one. The media needs to do a better job of reporting real issues and not dramatizing controversial stories and hindering the ability of an already faulty judicial system to do it's job.

If they had gotten off some lunatic would have come at them with a sledge hammer.

On the case itself - I'm usually skeptical in these matters. When whether it's rape or not depends on subjective interpretation of the incident, it's really, really difficult.
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #122
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,209
Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
Haven't really been following this story, but I'm seeing that they only fingered her. Was she absolutely unconscious beyond reasonable doubt?

They were found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

As discussed earlier in this thread, nonconsensual "fingering" is still rape.

Also being impaired beyond the point when you are capable of giving consent starts way before you are unconscious.

Now that this is done, I want to see everything Anonymous got right and got wrong about this case. It appears, that they got much of it wrong. Considering the cops seem have known about the video of the idiot from Ohio State back in August, did Anonymous contribute anything?
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #123
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,209
Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
Wtf is "digitally" penetrated.

Wow. That explains a lot.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #124
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,209
Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
Unfortunately in cases like this where the media plays a large role - 99 percent of the time the decision is going to be the safe one. The media needs to do a better job of reporting real issues and not dramatizing controversial stories and hindering the ability of an already faulty judicial system to do it's job.

If they had gotten off some lunatic would have come at them with a sledge hammer.

On the case itself - I'm usually skeptical in these matters. When whether it's rape or not depends on subjective interpretation of the incident, it's really, really difficult.

I think in this case, it became a big media thing after Anonymous blew the story up and they seem to have a gotten a lot of things wrong.

EDIT
I don't think in this case there was any doubt it was rape. Especially since the guys who were convicted had told their friends how out of it the girl was.

Last edited by KevinNYC : 03-17-2013 at 07:05 PM.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #125
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,209
Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
There is no "rape footage." No video is in existence.

There was video of the act in the car. The teenage who shot it deleted it. I don't think he ever circulated it.

Quote:
The Steubenville, Ohio high school student who hosted the party where a 16-year-old girl was allegedly raped, testified today after being given immunity for having videotaped - and then deleted - some of the alleged assault......

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...n-girl-in-car/
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #126
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,051
Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
There was video of the act in the car. The teenage who shot it deleted it. I don't think he ever circulated it.



http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...n-girl-in-car/
Like I said, no video currently exists. Trust me, I know every detail of this case. The video was unable to be retrieved by BCI, but the kid who took it admitted he did.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #127
ace23
*****
 
ace23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 10,094
Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Also being impaired beyond the point when you are capable of giving consent starts way before you are unconscious.
Where does it start?
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #128
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,051
Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
They were found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

As discussed earlier in this thread, nonconsensual "fingering" is still rape.

Also being impaired beyond the point when you are capable of giving consent starts way before you are unconscious.
Yep. And that was the prosecution's successful argument. It wasn't even whether or not she consented. Their argument was that she was in no condition to give consent, period.

Her condition and the action of the two boys resulted in the verdict. Once the state successfully proved that she was impaired beyond a point of being able to make the decision for herself, it was over... Because the boys admitted to the sexual contact (ie "fingering"... I prefer the phrase digital penetration).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Now that this is done, I want to see everything Anonymous got right and got wrong about this case. It appears, that they got much of it wrong. Considering the cops seem have known about the video of the idiot from Ohio State back in August, did Anonymous contribute anything?

And this should really be the lede in the days and weeks following the verdict. They got virtually everything wrong. That Local Leaks site was a sick fantasy put together by a combination of an anarchist sect of Anonymous which wants to bring down law enforcement in America (Commander X aka Chris Doyon runs Local Leaks) and locals with an axe to grind (bloggers like Alexandria Goddard).

When I say they got just about everything wrong, I mean it...

Here is a small sampling...

http://stranahaninexile.wordpress.co...ocalleaks-was/


Even the term 'rape crew' was completely contrived. One former Big Red football player made one comment in one Facebook post referring to him and his teammates as the 'rape crew' in a football context. This person graduated years prior, wasn't at any of the parties and the comment was made in 2010. The comment had nothing to do with sex, but he was using 'rape' as implying 'our team will get the better of your team.' That is the only reference to a 'rape crew' that was ever found.

This single post in a football related context was somehow applied to this situation. Notice virtually none of the media is using the phrase any more... It was made up.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 03-17-2013 at 05:44 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #129
DMV2
NBA Stats Watcher
 
DMV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10,487
Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
Wtf is "digitally" penetrated.
Go to your doctor and ask for a digital examination, and you'll find out.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #130
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,051
Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

Guilty Verdict in Steubenville Rape Case that Saw Anonymous Terrorize a Town
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #131
Kovach
Decent playground baller
 
Kovach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Novi Sad, Serbia
Posts: 322
Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

And that's what happens when socially dysfunctional nerds get too much power in a sensationalism-starved world where collective IQ is dropping rapidly. Feel particularly sorry for the guy accused of having child porn. All of this is starting to look to me more and more like late Middle Ages witch-hunt. "I don't like this guy, therefore he must be a pedo." How is he doing nowdays RBA?
Kovach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #132
BrickingStar
Banned
 
BrickingStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,214
Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

look at the fatass with he double chin who's face is to big for the mask
BrickingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #133
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,051
Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovach
And that's what happens when socially dysfunctional nerds get too much power in a sensationalism-starved world where collective IQ is dropping rapidly. Feel particularly sorry for the guy accused of having child porn. All of this is starting to look to me more and more like late Middle Ages witch-hunt. "I don't like this guy, therefore he must be a pedo." How is he doing nowdays RBA?
I haven't seen him or talked to him in a while. Obviously, when the lies initially began to spread on a viral level, I let him know that I was completely behind him, 100-percent, and that I knew the claims were erroneous.

However, this is something that can never be "taken back" regardless of what happens next with this story. His name will always be associated with this case and that is a damn shame, because his only crime was being the administrator of a high school football fan site.

He's a strong person, so I'm sure he will carry on with his life, but I would be surprised if this thing didn't leave permanent scars. And, yes... this was a witch hunt right from the start, which is what I was trying to explain to people months ago when it first broke nationally.

Lives of people with absolutely no connection to this thing have been significantly altered probably forever. And it's a damn shame. This should be a cautionary tale to everyone, because if it could happen to this city and these people, it could happen anywhere to anyone.

The media isn't done, btw. Many of the more shameless "journalists" are still lambasting Steubenville for... being a city where a crime took place, I guess.

There is a story, here, and an important one. It involves sexual activity and drinking amongst high school kids and even younger... The impact of social media on our kids. To me, those are the real stories here. Instead, the media chose an easy target, pretending as though this crime was something that could only happen in Steubenville and that it was somehow tied to football. Like I said months ago, this never had anything to do with football.

It was just a false narrative pushed by a lazy media machine looking to sensationalize anything and everything... And lives will never be the same as a result.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 03-17-2013 at 06:34 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #134
Rubio2Gasol
College star
 
Rubio2Gasol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,932
Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Yep. And that was the prosecution's successful argument. It wasn't even whether or not she consented. Their argument was that she was in no condition to give consent, period.


That seems sketchy, and has scary implications for cases of rape from here on out. It calls into question the ability of someone o retract consent afterwards - which is a big problem.
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #135
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,209
Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Like I said, no video currently exists. Trust me, I know every detail of this case. The video was unable to be retrieved by BCI, but the kid who took it admitted he did.

I figured YOU did know the facts. I was posting more for others.

AND I also figured you were being lawyerly with your language, similar to when you tried to distance them from the football program.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy