Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 02-03-2007, 04:42 AM   #1
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far
Default Why can't white men jump?

I heard it was because a white man hass less fast twitch muscles or something like that?

can anyone explain?
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
JMEWLS

Default Re: Why can't white men jump?

I know a few people who are white and can dunk it easily.. WHITE MEN CAN jump.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
P-Forty21

im 15 years old and i am a 5"11 white boy and i can dunk...it looks sketchy but...
Old 02-03-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
tpcslj47
Kids at the park dunk on me

tpcslj47 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Dimes A Game
I heard it was because a white man hass less fast twitch muscles or something like that?

can anyone explain?

Uh, they can, some people are just more naturally athletically gifted than others. So the others just need to put in more work and effort to get there, that's all.
tpcslj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
Catch'N'Shoot
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Catch'N'Shoot has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Dimes A Game

can anyone explain?
ahh i was learning about this at school.

fast twitch muscles are for explosive movements.
while slow twitch muscles are like for endurance stuff.
Catch'N'Shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #6
tpcslj47
Kids at the park dunk on me

tpcslj47 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch'N'Shoot
ahh i was learning about this at school.

fast twitch muscles are for explosive movements.
while slow twitch muscles are like for endurance stuff.

Yeah, and largely the activities you are involved in determine what ratio of fast-twitch to slow-twitch you possess...heredity is far less of a determining factor.
tpcslj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
MetsPackers
new based god

MetsPackers has decent reputation

Brent Barry is white and can dunk from the foul line.
MetsPackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #8
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

NYKnicks914 has decent reputation

my interpretation of "white men can't jump"

There is a greater percentage of black men who can jump high than white men who can jump high. In my experience this has been true...

Look at basketball on different levels...
AAU
College - for every Chase Budinger there is a Daquan Cook, Paul Harris, Javaris Crittenton, Gerald Henderson, and Stanley Robinson
NBA - yeah, Brent Barry won the dunk contest. Like I was saying, some white guys can jump, but how many more dunk contest winners/participants have been black...

it could be said that all the jumpin' whities play volleyball i guess...

If you look at track & field, almost all long jumpers and sprinters are black (both fast twitch muscle activities). I do not know as much about high jumping, but there do seem to be some white people who are good high jumpers. Back to what I was saying though, there just seems to be a greater percentage of black guys jumping high than white guys jumping high.

But I'm certainly not closed minded to anyone else who may disagree... I hope I don't come off as so. Race can obviously be a touchy subject to some

Last edited by NYKnicks914 : 02-03-2007 at 06:31 PM.
NYKnicks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:23 AM   #9
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

yeah, its true that in basketball and certain sports blacks are the athletically dominant race. that doesn't mean black people or white people are more or less capable at sports or anything in life. both white and black people have the same twitch muscles.

environment has more to do with it. white culture focuses less on basketball or sports in general than black culture. not to say that less white people are sports fans, but that theres not as much pressure to become a star athlete. i read a statistic in my sociology book showing a huge percentage of young black males in the ghetto that think that they can make it in life as a basketball player or rapper.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
orfeomorfeo-ita
I hit open layups

orfeomorfeo-ita has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
yeah, its true that in basketball and certain sports blacks are the athletically dominant race. that doesn't mean black people or white people are more or less capable at sports or anything in life. both white and black people have the same twitch muscles.

This is not true. The composition of the muscle is very different between different races (afro-american, mongolian, caucasic and so on)..
And there's more: there are great differences even inside each race. An Ethiopian is really different in genetic skills from someone from Ivory-coast, as well as an afro-american is far different from someone from maghreb...
It has to do with the mutual distribution of white and red muscular fibers. the skills of an afroamerican are well-suited for expressions of athletism that require great speed and explosive strenght, such as 100 metres, long jump..
If you check (www.iaaf.org) the all-time top ten, you'll find white guys it those disciplines are an exeption. But you'll see that things change for more techical events (and there a social explanation comes to be of some value).. High Jump has the record man, yes, but most of the best ever are white, with maybe one ore two mongolians.. pole vault has rarely seen a black athlete of some value, and the same goes for triple jump and all the throws.
On the other hand, from the 800 metres to the 10000 and marathon, best athletes are almost only africans, from maghreb or from Ethiopia/Kenia.

Another easy demonstration of these is the incredibly small number of good afroamerican swimmers... their muscle fibre is heavier.. and they, simply, tend to "sink", so they would have to waste energies just to float..

This obviously doesn't mean that a random white man can't jump for sure, and that Brent Barry must be the Messiah for sure.. It has all to do with statistic..average leaping skill for black people is higher.

Quote:

environment has more to do with it. white culture focuses less on basketball or sports in general than black culture. not to say that less white people are sports fans, but that theres not as much pressure to become a star athlete. i read a statistic in my sociology book showing a huge percentage of young black males in the ghetto that think that they can make it in life as a basketball player or rapper.

Try and open your eyes! There's not only USA, and there's not only basketball. Your opinion, for sure, isn't wrong. Basketball - in USA - is more related to black culture than white. And for sure the dream of becoming a rapper or a bball player is a great target for poor afroamerican guys. Yet, wanting to jump higher doesn't actually explain why you are able to. You don't have to explain why there's more leapers among the black players than that among white players.. you have to explain why _percentages_ are different. Given 10 random NBA black players, 6'2'' tall, how many of them do you are able to dunk?
And given ten same-height white players?
In Europe becoming a great basketball player is a "social" dream as well.. but if you meet on the streetball court some guy who actually dunks during the play, you are surprised.
orfeomorfeo-ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #11
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfeomorfeo-ita
This is not true. The composition of the muscle is very different between different races (afro-american, mongolian, caucasic and so on)..
And there's more: there are great differences even inside each race. An Ethiopian is really different in genetic skills from someone from Ivory-coast, as well as an afro-american is far different from someone from maghreb...
It has to do with the mutual distribution of white and red muscular fibers. the skills of an afroamerican are well-suited for expressions of athletism that require great speed and explosive strenght, such as 100 metres, long jump..
If you check (www.iaaf.org) the all-time top ten, you'll find white guys it those disciplines are an exeption. But you'll see that things change for more techical events (and there a social explanation comes to be of some value).. High Jump has the record man, yes, but most of the best ever are white, with maybe one ore two mongolians.. pole vault has rarely seen a black athlete of some value, and the same goes for triple jump and all the throws.
On the other hand, from the 800 metres to the 10000 and marathon, best athletes are almost only africans, from maghreb or from Ethiopia/Kenia.

Another easy demonstration of these is the incredibly small number of good afroamerican swimmers... their muscle fibre is heavier.. and they, simply, tend to "sink", so they would have to waste energies just to float..

This obviously doesn't mean that a random white man can't jump for sure, and that Brent Barry must be the Messiah for sure.. It has all to do with statistic..average leaping skill for black people is higher.

Try and open your eyes! There's not only USA, and there's not only basketball. Your opinion, for sure, isn't wrong. Basketball - in USA - is more related to black culture than white. And for sure the dream of becoming a rapper or a bball player is a great target for poor afroamerican guys. Yet, wanting to jump higher doesn't actually explain why you are able to. You don't have to explain why there's more leapers among the black players than that among white players.. you have to explain why _percentages_ are different. Given 10 random NBA black players, 6'2'' tall, how many of them do you are able to dunk?
And given ten same-height white players?
In Europe becoming a great basketball player is a "social" dream as well.. but if you meet on the streetball court some guy who actually dunks during the play, you are surprised.

very well said!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:15 PM   #12
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

its cuz white men have small cocks
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:56 AM   #13
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Many darker skinned people in America were bred to do manual slave labor, there are now a higher percentage of dark skinned people in America whom have better athletic genetics due to being better thoroughbreds through selective breeding. You'll notice that most of the darker skinned NBA athletes have an American heritage versus being directly "from" Africa (which obviously has many more dark skinned people than America). So, when you say "BLACK", and make assumptions, you are stereotyping all dark skinned people which is inaccurate.

An athletically genetic advantage happened because of the selective breeding that just happened to happen to the "darker" skinned people during America's shameful slavery period, if the roles would have been reversed, lighter skinned people from America would be the one's with a better percentage of athletic genetics.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:36 AM   #14
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
its cuz white men have small cocks
Old 02-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #15
orfeomorfeo-ita
I hit open layups

orfeomorfeo-ita has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
Many darker skinned people in America were bred to do manual slave labor, there are now a higher percentage of dark skinned people in America whom have better athletic genetics due to being better thoroughbreds through selective breeding. You'll notice that most of the darker skinned NBA athletes have an American heritage versus being directly "from" Africa (which obviously has many more dark skinned people than America). So, when you say "BLACK", and make assumptions, you are stereotyping all dark skinned people which is inaccurate.

An athletically genetic advantage happened because of the selective breeding that just happened to happen to the "darker" skinned people during America's shameful slavery period, if the roles would have been reversed, lighter skinned people from America would be the one's with a better percentage of athletic genetics.

please, try to talk of something you really know about.
You're implying that few years of slavery (because 200 years, in terms of genetic evolution, are really few) would change the genetic configuration of a large population such as the afro-american slaves were? Do you have any idea of which are the numbers in terms of population dimensions and time variations for a phenotype to appear or disappear?

It really seems that you have no idea of what genetic evolution is and how it takes place.
I'll give you a few examples that easily show how your thesis can never be true... please get better informed next time:

100 metres top list all-time:

Asafa Powell JAM
Gatiln: USA
Greene: USA
Bailey CAN
Surin CAN
Gay USA
Burrell USA
Fasuba NGR
Lewis USA
Fredericks NAM
Boldon TRI
Obikwelu POR
Christie GBR

As you can see, there's not only nations distinguished for a history of slavery, and notwithstanding the cultural and technical backwardness, Nigeria, Namibia, Trinidad, and another african country (former nation for Obikwelu, that I cannot remember) have offered to history great runners.

Moreover, if your position was true,afroamericans should excel in any sport, and yet they do only in those sports charachterized by necessity of sheer explosive strenght. Africans, not afroamericans, dominate the long running competitions, and there's hardly an excellent black pole vaulter or thrower.
Black people should be the best in swimming as they are in short running.. why not? Instead, there's no such thing as a black swimmer champion I know of.

Be assured, genetic variations in population, given the exception of the "bottle-neck phenomenon, that takes place only for very, very small populations (I'm talking about a few hundreds of individuals here) need much more time to happen.

Get better informed about physiology, and you'll see how clearly it explains the prestative difference for different phenotypes..

orfeomorfeo

However, for those curious about it, here's a link for an all-time top-list:

http://www.fidal.it/showquestion.php?faq=24&fldAuto=612

It's an italian site, just click the third link (all time list) and you'll be able to download a word docuent with the list.
If you'll do, you'll find out that the best high jumpers in history, excepted Sotomayor, were mostly white. There's a social explanation to it, obviously, as black guys would be really well-suited for high-jump..

Ah, and it seems pretty obvious to me that most of black players in NBA are from USA. Because.. guess what!.. NBA is played in the USA, and most of its player are from USA.

Last edited by orfeomorfeo-ita : 02-06-2007 at 01:45 PM.
orfeomorfeo-ita is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: