Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Did Chris Rock start some shiz-nit

About a month ago, in an interview with Judd Apatow, Rock said this about the current crop of comics

Quote:
Are today’s comedians better now than yesteryear? Director Judd Apatow asked Chris Rock, and his response was, “Hell f****** no!”

In an email interview with Apatow published by Vanity Fair, Rock shared his thoughts on the present state of comedy. And when comparing the current comedic lot with the likes of George Carlin, Bill Cosby and Joan Rivers, the veteran comedian says today’s comics are cursed with being too “situational.”

"Show me one guy or woman as funny as Rodney Dangerfield or as good as George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Bill Cosby or Joan Rivers," Rock wrote. "There are a lot of good comics out there, no doubt, but as far as the quality of the comics goes, I think what you have is a bunch of situational comics."

"What we have now is Black comics that work only Black crowds,” Rock continued, “Gay comics that do only gay crowds, and Southern comics that only work down South, and so on with Asian, Latino, Indian, midgets, etc. The previous generation's comics were better because they had to make everybody laugh. Richard Pryor could do The Ed Sullivan Show and play the Apollo."

So who are the comedians that come close to this standard? Rock has a couple of names.

"Seinfeld can work any crowd. Ellen [DeGeneres] can work any crowd. [George] Lopez can work any crowd," Rock concludes. "And a few more, but the rest of them are just situational comics."

So, a comic who is sort of known (maybe in the black world) posted this response.

Rodney Perry -- Responds to Chris Rock Vanity Fair Article

-----

So, what do y'all think? Does Rock have a point, or is he wrong?
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Did Chris Rock start some shiz-nit

I think the response by Rodney Perry missed Rock's point. The rebuttal addressed that today all comics are situational, which is really affirming Rock's point that today's comics are not as good as those in the past.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think he is right in saying that everyone is situational, but some audiences are far more broad than others. Seinfeld would appeal to a far wider audience than most other comedians.

The question is, is exclusivity or inclusivity better? Or does it even really matter?

Does being the best comedian mean pulling the most diverse and largest audiences, well if Dane Cook is anything to go by then they answer is no.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
I think he is right in saying that everyone is situational, but some audiences are far more broad than others. Seinfeld would appeal to a far wider audience than most other comedians.

The question is, is exclusivity or inclusivity better? Or does it even really matter?

I think the best way is to have a balance of both. If everything was inclusive, then every TV show would be like 2 & A Half Men, and I would kill somebody.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time

Does being the best comedian mean pulling the most diverse and largest audiences, well if Dane Cook is anything to go by then they answer is no.

Your edit essentially touched on the same thing as my post

For me, I prefer a combination of edgy and originality.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

I think everyone is situational, buts it's about broadening your situations.

Most newer comics only reach to one audience. You can't really be known if you only play one audience, unless you're white.

I'm not too sure if Seinfield as an unknown comic could have played Def Comedy Jam but Rodney Dangerfield could have. On the other hand, Katt Williams could not have done Johnny Carson, but Cedric the Entertainer could have.

I've seen Bill Burr and George Lopez both do BET's Comic View.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
About a month ago, in an interview with Judd Apatow, Rock said this about the current crop of comics

So, a comic who is sort of known (maybe in the black world) posted this response.

Rodney Perry -- Responds to Chris Rock Vanity Fair Article

-----

So, what do y'all think? Does Rock have a point, or is he wrong?

He's spot on, I agree 100%

Them comics from back then were very very good, some of the worst are better than most of today's best…. easily.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I'm not too sure if Seinfield as an unknown comic could have played Def Comedy Jam but Rodney Dangerfield could have. On the other hand, Katt Williams could not have done Johnny Carson, but Cedric the Entertainer could have.

I think he could but it'd take more time to build up. Once you let the audience know who and what you are about you can win them over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEOgarwWdOk
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
Derka
Go C's!

Derka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Agree 100% with him.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

some of the biggest comics right now like Louis CK cant even make me chuckle

but I love Bill Burr
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey

but I love Bill Burr
Louis CK is ****ing awesome.
nightprowler10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #13
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey

but I love Bill Burr
But CK is not new, he's from Rock's era.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #14
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightprowler10
Louis CK is ****ing awesome.

yeah he's definitely insightful and interesting, sometimes even profound but not lol funny, a chuckle per show perhaps

i really like his show Louis
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #15
Myth

Quote:
But CK is not new, he's from Rock's era.

He never said he is new, he said he is big right now.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: