Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #61
AngelEyes
Sentenza

Default Re: Is Roseanne the greatest sitcom of all time?

Family Matters was black full house, Martin was just another cookie cutter sitcom, Who's the Boss was a mediocre 80's sitcom, can't compare this stuff to the true greats.

Seinfeld
AD
Cheers Roseanne Frasier
Scrubs
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #62
Chapallaz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Martin must be last because he dressed up as two woman on his show, Shenana and mama Payne.
No, because it was not funny, incredibly overacted, incredibly bad acting, writing, scripting and one of those shows where you could tell what the rest of the episode would be like after 2 seconds. That's why. You tell us why Martin deserves to be ranked with those other shows, please? Why would anybody rank it over The Larry Sanders Show? Heck, there's probably enough reasons to list Step by Step higher than that. Full House deserves to be listed over Martin as well. Didn't like it myself though. The Nanny has a good case here. Frasier actually IS 10x the show that Martin was. Screenplay, acting, plot, overall much better.
Chapallaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #63
AngelEyes
Sentenza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapallaz
No, because it was not funny, incredibly overacted, incredibly bad acting, writing, scripting and one of those shows where you could tell what the rest of the episode would be like after 2 seconds. That's why. You tell us why Martin deserves to be ranked with those other shows, please? Why would anybody rank it over The Larry Sanders Show? Heck, there's probably enough reasons to list Step by Step higher than that. Full House deserves to be listed over Martin as well. Didn't like it myself though. The Nanny has a good case here. Frasier actually IS 10x the show that Martin was. Screenplay, acting, plot, overall much better.

People need to stop listing horrible 80's shows like who's the Boss and Step by step and 90's cookie cutter shit like martin. There was a 100 shows like Martin, this one just happened to have Martin Lawrence.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #64
Chapallaz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes
People need to stop listing horrible 80's shows like who's the Boss and Step by step and 90's cookie cutter shit like martin. There was a 100 shows like Martin, this one just happened to have Martin Lawrence.

I guess people just turned on the TV to see mediocre actors do exactly what they expected them to do and say what they expected them to say for about 30 minutes, makes it easier to recite among friends over and over to make it a catchphrase. Upon which shows like Martin thrived.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #65
AngelEyes
Sentenza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapallaz
I guess people just turned on the TV to see mediocre actors do exactly what they expected them to do and say what they expected them to say for about 30 minutes, makes it easier to recite among friends over and over to make it a catchphrase. Upon which shows like Martin thrived.

Seriously. Why anyone would ever want to watch some of these shows is beyond me. The actually transcendent shows like AD, Seinfeld, Roseanne, Cheers, Frasier, and Scrubs brought something unique to the table. Seinfeld and AD flipped television on its head, they're both hugely influential. AD's influence is easily seen in television today. Both Cheers and Frasier were brilliantly well written comedies which strayed from formulaic sitcoms. Scrubs was a great show which balanced comedic and heartfelt moments brilliantly.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #66
heyhey
stay mad golden state

I'm happy to see Roseanne gets its due in this thread even though I don't think it's the greatest sitcom. I always feel it gets overlooked but that maybe cause I'm from a urban environment. Roseanne tackled serious issues and problems often glossed over by other tv programs with bittersweet wit. Still there aren't many shows that feature blue collar white "trash" families without devolving completely to caricature the way Roseanne was able to do.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #67
pauk
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
Roseanne = MJ of sitcoms ?

I certainty think so.

Last edited by pauk : 01-05-2013 at 10:09 AM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #68
Chapallaz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
Still there aren't many shows that feature blue collar white "trash" families without devolving completely to caricature the way Roseanne was able to do.
Martin!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #69
gigantes
A piece of fluff

newsradio

M*A*S*H

seinfeld

fawlty towers

malcolm in the middle
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #70
Legend of Josh
Banned

My Step By Step comment was a joke. Someone above showed a .gif of the one, the only, Al Bundy.

It doesn't get much better than Married with Children. A true classic. Ain't nobody fuckin' with Al's four touchdowns in one game. Can't no bitch hold a candle to Peggy's orange (not red) head and busty jugs. Kelly, well that's pretty self-explanatory and last but not least, Grand Master B. Damn, that's one hell of a family.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #71
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes
Family Matters was black full house, Martin was just another cookie cutter sitcom, Who's the Boss was a mediocre 80's sitcom, can't compare this stuff to the true greats.

Seinfeld
AD
Cheers Roseanne Frasier
Scrubs

Really! OMG, never thought of it like that! Captain Obvious here to save the day!

... and please dude, if you use the term "cookie-cutter" one more time I'm going to flip out go bat+ape shit.

Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #72
Edwin
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
fawlty towers
This is the correct answer.

Roseanne is far from being the greatest sitcom of all time. I can think of about 20 others better than Roseanne imo.

Fawlty Towers however is way ahead of Roseanne.

The Germans episode maybe the best episode a sitcom has ever had.

I dare you find an episode of Roseanne that is half as funny as the Germans episode.

Here's a segment of the Germans episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=f9BetL3rlZY

“Entschuldigen sie, bitte, können sie Deutsch sprechen?”
“I’m sorry, could you say that again?”
“You speak German?”
“Oh German, I’m sorry, I thought there was something wrong with you!”

“Will you stop talking about the war?”
“Me? You started it!”
“We did not start it!”
“Yes you did, you invaded Poland.”
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #73
knickswin
Good college starter

I really like Roseanne (until it got s**tty toward the end at least, although the very last episode was powerful). great, extremely relatable characters. roseanne, dan, darlene, and jackie are all amazing. great writing. did a good job at keeping it real and not getting corny too much.

seinfeld isn't my cup of tea, but I get that it's good.

arrested development I think brought in an age of greater wit and even sharper writing. I think 30 Rock is comparable to Arrested Development. Arrested Development had better characters and better running jokes, but I think the dialogue and one-liners on 30 Rock are better than Arrested Development's.
knickswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #74
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

If you aren't black, Martin probably wasn't for you. Just like if you aren't white, Roseanne was an awful ****in show. Same with Mash, that shit was awful too.

Seinfeld is the king, and Everybody Hates Chris was really underrated. Fresh Prince was great as well.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #75
knickswin
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
If you aren't black, Martin probably wasn't for you. Just like if you aren't white, Roseanne was an awful ****in show. Same with Mash, that shit was awful too.

Seinfeld is the king, and Everybody Hates Chris was really underrated. Fresh Prince was great as well.

agree that everybody hates chris is really good. I think fresh prince was kind of corny and the writing wasn't at the level of these other shows most of the time.
knickswin is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: