Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default CNN article today on the harmful affects of marijuana use

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/07/opinio...html?hpt=hp_c1

good article...backed up with plenty of studies and links

Quote:
There are many excellent reasons to avoid marijuana. Marijuana use damages brain development in young people. Heavy users become socially isolated and perform worse in school and at work. Marijuana smoke harms the lungs. A growing body of evidence suggests that marijuana can trigger psychotic symptoms that otherwise would have remained latent.

It's possible to imagine a marijuana rule that tries to respond precisely to such risk factors as happen to be known by the current state of science. Such a rule might say: "You shouldn't use marijuana until you are over 25, or after your brain has ceased to develop, whichever comes first. You shouldn't use marijuana if you are predisposed to certain mental illnesses (most of which we can't yet diagnose in advance). Be aware that about one-sixth of users will become chronically dependent on marijuana, and as a result will suffer a serious degradation of life outcomes. As yet, we have no sure idea at what dosage marijuana will impair your ability to drive safely, or how long the impairment will last. Be as careful as you can, within the limits of our present knowledge!"

I have a couple really good friends that fit into the red part I hilighted

that is why I feel a little strong about this, I just really feel that they would have completely different lives if pot didn't exist.

I am not saying it should be illegal...props to the states that are legalizing, I am just saying that the idea that pot isn't harmful is false...it most certainly is harmful.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: CNN article today on the harmful affects of marijuana use

I don't know any Marijuana smokers who are hooked on weed. Even if they smoke everyday, its due to the conscious decision that they want to smoke, as opposed to going through a withdraw the way alcohol or cigarettes.

There are people who are prone to be addicted to anything, no matter what it is.

I cannot agree that it is harmful in any way to a person who isn't prone to be be harmed by any legal substance alike. It sucks that the fragile folk can be used to creat a false sense of danger for things a normal person wouldn't be harmed by.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation

the only people who become "dependent" on marijuana are complete dumbfcuks. you can stop smoking any time you want.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If they smoke everyday for years they are "hooked"...even if they claim they aren't

it isn't the same type of physical dependence as coke or heroin or anything...it is more of a mental addiction, but an addiction no less

I was an everyday smoker for about 5 years of my life...I would say I was "hooked" during that time
Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

sad when ppl put weed over their priorities and goals

pathetic actually

cigarettes on the other hand...
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yup psychologic addiction develops first, and is a crucial factor. Saying that it is conscious decision to smoke is silly... Like "I am addicted, but since I can claim how it is not scientifically proved to be damaging and that is my own choice to deliberately keep doing it therefore I'm going to do it but to everybody I'm not addicted". Stop then.

Analogy with chicken: I'm not addicted, it's just a chicken ofcourse it's not addictive, but somehow people get fat in America.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

the excuse that gets under my skin the most is when some pot heads think that many extremely successful people are every day smokers like they are...

since they know one doctor or lawyer that smokes a little pot, it means that most doctors and lawyers wake up and lite up bowls every morning...

most extremely ambitious people are NOT pot heads...that would totally slow them down
Old 01-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
alenleomessi

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation

this upcoming friday ill be smoking marijuana for the first time in my life...
can there be any bad effects for doing it only once? for how long does it stay in the human body? because i need to undergo a medical later this month
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Norcaliblunt has decent reputationNorcaliblunt has decent reputation

Yeah, drugs are bad and have negative consequences on our health when abused. OH MY GOD TELL US SOMETHING WE DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
can there be any bad effects for doing it only once? for how long does it stay in the human body? because i need to undergo a medical later this month
no probably not...at worst you could suffer a panic attack, that happens to a small % of people, but panic attacks don't kill you, you just think you are going to die.

but If you have a drug test coming up then yes that would be bad...
Old 01-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
red1
Dinosaurs

red1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Smoked everyday for years so I know exactly what chronic does and does not do. First of all smoking is not the best idea in the first place, if you have the option of grabbing a vaporizor do it immediately.

Different people have different reactions to it depending on your psychological makeup but a few things are constant. If one has the tendency to be lazy it can easily create an easygoing lazy lifestyle. By the same token if one is ambitious and driven, chronic alone is not going to strip you of that.

What smoking every day does do is it creates a fog in your brain where you don't get too worked up or stressed over shit leading you to become accepting of whatever you got going on your life. If you are sober your mind will race and you will always be thinking of the next thing you can or should do but a stoner will usually be too relaxed to have that mentality.

Right now Im in a stage of my life where I need to hustle and make moves so I abstain completely because chronic is not conducive to that. I will say that the psychological addictiveness of ganja is just about equal to the addictiveness of food. The difference between the two is that smoking everyday can prevent you from realizing that your habit is not good for you because the effect of chronic itself is to give you that DGAF attitude.
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi

It will have zero bad effects from doing it once in your life. I wouldn't worry about it staying in your system either since it will be your first time.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
Yeah, drugs are bad and have negative consequences on our health when abused. OH MY GOD TELL US SOMETHING WE DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!
many pot heads don't think it is harmful at all...

some even claim it makes them smarter or more focused...they function better when high...etc
Old 01-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

I didnt see any real statistics in that article.. Looked like a popular article.. David Frum is a political writer. Seems like this is timed up with the new laws legalizing it some states.

I saw the stat about kids under 15 not smoking, but that is no brainer Kids that age shouldnt be drinking or smoking cigarettes either.

marijuana does not cause any withdrawal symptoms

I see people talking about MENTAL addiction. I need someone to explain please. Ive studied what drugs like cigarettes and cocaine and others do to people. They take over your central nervous system and addict you to the drugs chemically.

I have never seen or heard of anyone ADDICTED to marijuana. I have seen potheads or whatever. But they dont suffer any real effects (except grumpiness) when they quit.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #15
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
Judging by the amount of users in the world I'd say they just did
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: