Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #166
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Tipping at restaurants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
All valid points. People who've worked in retail know the hell it can be to work in retail, yet no one complaining about those people not getting tips. And please no one bring in the under minimum wage excuse, not for places like California.

I'm confident the time will come when tipping is less frequent. The white population is on the decline, and with their decline also goes their customs. This place is about to become the United Asians of Mexico

It's just the way it is, waiters get tipped, retail people don't. Who cares.
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #167
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The American restaurant model: Genius

>Pay your employees like shit
>Employees expect customers to make up for said shitty pay by tipping
>When customers don't tip, they are chastised even though it's the employer's fault for paying them like shit in the first place
>???
>Profit

Tipping in this country is starting to become extortion.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #168
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Norcaliblunt has decent reputationNorcaliblunt has decent reputation

I love when the jealous bitter angle is used.

"This job doesn't get tips, so why should this one?"

WHAHWHAHWHAHWHAHWHAHWHAH!!!!!!!! Lol.

You fools wouldn't want to tip those people either, so don't front like you care about them.
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #169
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
It's just the way it is, waiters get tipped, retail people don't. Who cares.

Apparently you and a lot of people.

Like i said, every tipping topic leads to the pro-tipping people not having anything logical to say and resort silly statements about how waiters deserve tips above other service workers or threats of what happens if you don't tip. Its this sentiment that will ultimately hurt service workers in the long run that are used to getting tips.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #170
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

If tipping was eliminated then prices will go up. FACT! The market would eventually even itself out to where you would be spending about the same amount of money as you were when tipping. Now your forced to pay regardless of the kind of service you get, with no option to not tip. It's pretty freaking simple.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #171
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
Apparently you and a lot of people.

Like i said, every tipping topic leads to the pro-tipping people not having anything logical to say and resort silly statements about how waiters deserve tips above other service workers or threats of what happens if you don't tip. Its this sentiment that will ultimately hurt service workers in the long run that are used to getting tips.

Pointing out that it is part of our society that you should tip waiters is illogical?

Also it's silly to label them "pro tipping" people, since that's just normal reasonable people.
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #172
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Retailers do get screwed. At least at some of those places they make up for it in bonuses, but at the end of the day they are just another group who corporate America screws over daily. I feel for them, but that doesn't mean we should strip servers of what little cushiness they have with their job.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #173
BMOGEFan
Banned

BMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
If tipping was eliminated then prices will go up. FACT! The market would eventually even itself out to where you would be spending about the same amount of money as you were when tipping. Now your forced to pay regardless of the kind of service you get, with no option to not tip. It's pretty freaking simple.

Explain your "Fact" with the bartending industry where they are already having 1000% markup on a drink.
BMOGEFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #174
PHX_Phan
Local High School Star

PHX_Phan is considered somewhat coolPHX_Phan is considered somewhat coolPHX_Phan is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Thats horshit. Many of these waiters get paid under the table and at any decent place they are making over triple the minimum wage. I made more as a waiter then i do in my current job at an hourly rate.

Same here, I made pretty good money delivering pizzas and serving. I was paid over minimum wage doing both and was able to get by on all tip money and put all my checks into savings. The jobs are not that bad, shifts are short and you can easily clear two to three times your wage. I could average $25-30 an hour on a typical night when I worked for pizza joints. That's a lot to drive around in your car and listen to music for 90% of your shift.
PHX_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #175
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

InfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputation

I have no problem tipping, and ever since I've started working full-time after college I've tried to tip 20% unless the service was bad. I like the idea of tipping for service, but I've never worked as a waiter so I'm not sure how tips are usually split between the chefs / waiters / person at the front. But I do know that I take into consideration all of these things when I think about how much to tip.

The 20% tip thing does get a little skewed when you start going to higher end restaurants and an entree comes out to be $50 compared to like $12 or something at applebees. I'm sure it's harder to be a waiter or cook at a steak house, but is it 3 times as hard?
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #176
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
Explain your "Fact" with the bartending industry where they are already having 1000% markup on a drink.

They would mark it up even more to pay the person serving it a livable wage.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #177
BMOGEFan
Banned

BMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputation

Quote:
They would mark it up even more to pay the person serving it a livable wage.

You do know bartenders usually show off claiming they pull in over $1000 on a good night.

Thats more than what a normal person makes in a week.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #178
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
You do know bartenders usually show off claiming they pull in over $1000 on a good night.

Thats more than what a normal person makes in a week.

So go become a bartender. No one is stopping you. A basketball player makes millions for playing a children's game. Life ain't fair.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #179
BMOGEFan
Banned

Quote:
So go become a bartender. No one is stopping you. A basketball player makes millions for playing a children's game. Life ain't fair.

You're right...so i'm not going to tip them. Life isn't fair...tough.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #180
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1
btw tips are often split between staff so the cook might be getting some of your tip too
rarely. Generally the tips are split to busboys, bartenders, and other front of house staff. It is not very common for the cook or dishwasher to get a cut.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: