Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #16
BurningHammer
Burning Spirit!

Default Re: Tipping at restaurants?

Being in this business and seeing that there are so many jerks that tip small to none among good customers, I am now trying to tip more than 10% when I dine out, and everyone should do the same.
BurningHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #17
sixerfan82
College star

Lesson 1: Understand that essentially you have a 'servant' for a small period of time(ie: 1 hour)

Lesson 2: Understand that this servant must oblige with your every wish for fear that you ask for their manager because you (had a bad date, think the waiter/tress looked at you wrong, hate your life, other bs reason)

Lesson 3: It's a service, they bring you food, you give them money, besides, you're spending $55 on food, is an extra $7.50 going to kill you?

I usually tip my bartender at least 5 bucks when i go there, they treat my ass like royalty too, gave her a $20 xmas tip too
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #18
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Stop being a cheap loser and tip the people.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #19
Pra
Dance Gavin Dance!

I always tip 15% as long as the server is doing their job. It's tedious and I wouldn't like to be in their shoes. (only time I don't tip is when they are AWFUL and provide bad customer service)

If they exceed the standard I'll give them anywhere from 20-25%

Not too long ago I spent $30 bucks ordering pizzas and wings on papajohns website and I decided to add a 10 dollar tip to the order. The delivery person was extremely content about that he brought us two 2 liter soda's on the house.
Pra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #20
iamgine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
Why does America have this consensus that people should tip 15%?

I mean these waitress/waiters are making at least minimum wage PLUS tips. This is almost $20-40 per hour. How is that even fair? Thats a very very good wage for someone without a college education and doing some trifling work.

Other jobs like CPAs or attorneys do not get tipped. In fact, with these occupations, people try to take advantage of them and demand free consultations before even signing a retainer with them

No other occupation requires tips, but why restaurants? If those waiters/waitress feel they are underpaid, they can always get another job.

People who work much harder jobs don't even make $20 per hour.
There's no reason for it really when they make minimum wage. It's just the American culture to tip waiters. So just tip because it's part of the culture.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #21
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Expecting/begging for tips in a job where you make a shit wage without tips is like the douche equivalent of being on welfare. You're still asking for a handout, except you feel entitled to complain when you don't get one.

I usually tip around 25%, if not a bit more, but i still find it hilarious how often this topic is made and how "people in this industry" come off like complete assholes about not getting tipped. No one but you put yourself in the position where you are dependent on your fellow men for a handout. If they choose not to give it, don't spite them and badmouth them online. How about use that energy towards having the ambition to find better employment where you aren't guilt tripping people into giving you more. You're the type of people that make me not want to tip just to say **** you and your attitude. But i choose not to group every waiter/pizza delivery with the likes of you, because i'm not looking for a reason to be a bitch like those bitching about not getting tips.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #22
Stuckey
ifirtworld

most countries are not as spoiled and fortunate to even sniff a 10% tip
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #23
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
Expecting/begging for tips in a job where you make a shit wage without tips is like the douche equivalent of being on welfare. You're still asking for a handout, except you feel entitled to complain when you don't get one.

I usually tip around 25%, if not a bit more, but i still find it hilarious how often this topic is made and how "people in this industry" come off like complete assholes about not getting tipped. No one but you put yourself in the position where you are dependent on your fellow men for a handout. If they choose not to give it, don't spite them and badmouth them online. How about use that energy towards having the ambition to find better employment where you aren't guilt tripping people into giving you more. You're the type of people that make me not want to tip just to say **** you and your attitude. But i choose not to group every waiter/pizza delivery with the likes of you, because i'm not looking for a reason to be a bitch like those bitching about not getting tips.

wow you are generous, 15% is more than fair
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #24
Pushxx
Pushxx

In MA, waiters make noticeably less than minimum wage. I generally tip 25%.

I'm familiar with the food service industry, and the disrespect from patrons is widespread. I'm pleasant and I get always that in return. Better for everyone and my food and service is always legit.

For pizza places and the like, always drop a tip because non-tippers are remembered. A friend manages a pizza shop. The workers sabotage asshole non-tippers' food if they order again.

Especially if you call a place regularly, they will remember whether or not you tip well. In most joints, good tippers get better food. Built-in incentives that benefit everyone. Paying 5% extra on your bill is a small price to pay at places you frequent.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:21 AM   #25
Ol Dirty Bastard
Local High School Star

What I hate is tipping bartenders.

It's there ****ing job. Pour liquor in cup.
Ol Dirty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #26
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot

Because people who don't tip are assholes and they should be pissed
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #27
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Dirty Bastard
What I hate is tipping bartenders.

It's there ****ing job. Pour liquor in cup.

I agree with this one. If you buy a quick drink, they poor it in about 20 seconds and their job is done. I do understand tipping bar tenders if it is busy and they seem to do their best at getting to you quickly rather than overlooking you over and over.

Essentially, whether it is waiters/waitresses or bartenders, tip should only be necessary if their job at the moment includes frequently checking on you to see if you need anything.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #28
Pushxx
Pushxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I agree with this one. If you buy a quick drink, they poor it in about 20 seconds and their job is done. I do understand tipping bar tenders if it is busy and they seem to do their best at getting to you quickly rather than overlooking you over and over.

Essentially, whether it is waiters/waitresses or bartenders, tip should only be necessary if their job at the moment includes frequently checking on you to see if you need anything.

I picked up a ridiculously hot bartender once when I didn't tip her, and she asked me why.

Turns out 99.9% of humans with penises tip her, and her curiosity got me a few dates with her.

Funny thing is I thought I left a tip, but she must have thought it was someone else's. Was a fun few weeks.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #29
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushxx
I picked up a ridiculously hot bartender once when I didn't tip her, and she asked me why.

Turns out 99.9% of humans with penises tip her, and her curiosity got me a few dates with her.

Funny thing is I thought I left a tip, but she must have thought it was someone else's. Was a fun few weeks.

Bitches love cheap guys.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #30
sunsfan1357
Word.

The only people who I don't tip are bartenders when I'm ordering beer only. I just feel like pulling down a lever and filling up a cup is way too simple a task to get extra money on top of the 6 bucks I'm already paying for the beer. If I ask for a cocktail of some kind where they have to put some effort into mixing ingredients and stuff then I'll tip.

In terms of servers at restaurants, I actually didn't realize in California they make the full minimum wage. It might change how I tip, but honestly I'll still probably leave them something.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: