Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #31
sundizz
Local High School Star

sundizz has decent reputationsundizz has decent reputation
Default Re: Tipping at restaurants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
This. Without tipping, you can get the waiter that half asses everything and they have no repercussions. Many other places it is easier to walk away if you don't like the service, but you are expected to pay for your food once you order it, so you are essentially stuck with that server until you leave, so you want that server to be motivated.

Just a ridiculous retarded American mentality and culture. People working hard just because they get tips. I am staying in South Korea and it's every bit (if not much more) modern in living conditions etc. However, with these service industries (cabs, restaurants, etc) you don't tip. What's even crazier..is that the service is still 100x better than back at home. They treat you so well, just because it is their job and they know other people can easily do what they do. They appreciate just having a job and making sure they do a good job at it.

I like the In n Out mentality. Pay a reasonable wage ($9 an hour to start if im not mistaken). Get rid of this tipping wildness. Gotta tip everywhere, bartenders (and I was one), etc. It's ridiculous.

Personally, I like a system better where everyone is rewarded if the company/restaurant is successful. Also, rewards people for staying with a company longer. Turnover is a huge cost and waste of scrills in restaurants. Simply, have a year-end bonus (even for part-time workers). If the company does good, everyone gets rewarded.

end rant/

Last edited by sundizz : 01-06-2013 at 07:15 AM.
sundizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #32
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

The reason we have tipping is because it works (better service). If you dont like tipping, go eat somewhere where they hand you your food on a tray, and note the difference in service.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #33
QuebecBaller
Next Great White Hope

QuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected poster

In Quebec, the minimun wage is 9,90$ and the minimum wage for workers who make tips is $8.55

Me, I always give 15% if I received a very good service or if the waitress is really hot
QuebecBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #34
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Norcaliblunt has decent reputationNorcaliblunt has decent reputation

I like how this angry narrative about tipping always gets thrown at the small person, like the waiter or bartender, but no one ever complains about how the corporate restaurant itself, is ripping you off left and right with prices and such. You don't want to tip? Then demand that corporations and restaurants pay their employee's a decent wage. Waiting tables and bar tending are not minimum wage jobs. Actually go work 8 hours straight in a busy restaurant or bar, and you'll find out it's just as hard, if not harder then your BS, cubicle, desk, insurance claims, medical debt, collared golf shirt, douche baggery you perpetuate daily.
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #35
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
I like how this angry narrative about tipping always gets thrown at the small person, like the waiter or bartender, but no one ever complains about how the corporate restaurant itself, is ripping you off left and right with prices and such. You don't want to tip? Then demand that corporations and restaurants pay their employee's a decent wage. Waiting tables and bar tending are not minimum wage jobs. Actually go work 8 hours straight in a busy restaurant or bar, and you'll find out it's just as hard, if not harder then your BS, cubicle, desk, insurance claims, medical debt, collared golf shirt, douche baggery you perpetuate daily.

You realize if they paid their employees more, the price of food would go up too right?
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #36
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Norcaliblunt has decent reputationNorcaliblunt has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls

You realize if they paid their employees more, the price of food would go up too right?

No shit, that's why when these rants come up it's pretty ridiculous. You're gonna pay one way or another. Bottom line.
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #37
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Tripping at restaurants is the new shit.
CeltsGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #38
It's A VC3!!!
I will believe

It's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Tipping is sort of weird. Sometimes when I go to out to eat with my family 5-8, I always tip like $10 because of the amount of times the waiter needs to go back and fourth getting drinks. You also need to keep in mind that my table size is 5-8 at times but that waiter is also servicing 2-4 other tables and could be servicing 20+ on any given hour. If I go out to eat with 1-2 people I only leave a $2-3 tip. There shouldn't be a required tip. That pisses me off. I've had waiters botch orders, take 30 minutes to bring me my drink, and appear as if I was just wasting their time asking them for refills and extra sauce.
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #39
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
Why does America have this consensus that people should tip 15%?

I mean these waitress/waiters are making at least minimum wage PLUS tips. This is almost $20-40 per hour. How is that even fair? Thats a very very good wage for someone without a college education and doing some trifling work.

Other jobs like CPAs or attorneys do not get tipped. In fact, with these occupations, people try to take advantage of them and demand free consultations before even signing a retainer with them

No other occupation requires tips, but why restaurants? If those waiters/waitress feel they are underpaid, they can always get another job.

People who work much harder jobs don't even make $20 per hour.
1st question: are you a total idiot?

2nd question: are you a total f--king idiot?

3rd question: have you ever thought about googling this matter if you had your questions?

sorry to be so harsh, but your numbers and your research make you look like a total rich-kid, sheltered buffoon in the OP. maybe you've learned your lesson since then, but i didn't read that far. but good luck with that shit, since you obviously need it......
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #40
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #41
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Every time this thread happens it depresses me how cheap and miserable people are. Be generous you pricks.
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #42
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Every time this thread happens it depresses me how cheap and miserable people are. Be generous you pricks.

Or how delusional Americans are about how prosperous their fellow Americans are.

I really can't wait for the time when people stop eating out and get back to home cooking (not anytime soon since this and the last generation of women can't cook for shit) just to shove it in the tip-whores faces. Make a big deal about tipping when they lay you off due to lack of demand. *fades back* "Hostess!"
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #43
red1
Dinosaurs

red1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
Or how delusional Americans are about how prosperous their fellow Americans are.

I really can't wait for the time when people stop eating out and get back to home cooking (not anytime soon since this and the last generation of women can't cook for shit) just to shove it in the tip-whores faces. Make a big deal about tipping when they lay you off due to lack of demand. *fades back* "Hostess!"
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #44
BMOGEFan
Banned

BMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
1st question: are you a total idiot?

2nd question: are you a total f--king idiot?

3rd question: have you ever thought about googling this matter if you had your questions?

sorry to be so harsh, but your numbers and your research make you look like a total rich-kid, sheltered buffoon in the OP. maybe you've learned your lesson since then, but i didn't read that far. but good luck with that shit, since you obviously need it......

Its pretty clear you're the idiot. I suspect you are a ****en waiter.

Go get your ass to work on a sunday you dipshit.

Last edited by BMOGEFan : 01-06-2013 at 01:44 PM.
BMOGEFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #45
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: