Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
longhornfan1234
Local High School Star

longhornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Supply and demand question about drugs.

If the purchase and sale of a currently illegal drug, such as weed, were decriminalized, we would expect:

A. an increase in demand and supply of this drug.

B. an increase in demand and a decrease in supply of this drug.

C. a decrease in demand and an increase in supply of this drug.

D. a decrease in demand and supply of this drug.
longhornfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Supply and demand question about drugs.

I find it to be a good question. I'd say in the short run the market would go through all the mentioned stages, and in a long run... I don't know, probably it would settle to be C, comparing to current, illegal business' state.

How about advertising drugs? That would get banned, you can guarantee, but would there be illegal marketing, recruiting and effort to get more clientel?
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think it's got to be A)

most people I know that don't smoke when asked why respond with it's illegal.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

A but I know very little about economics
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

Supply would undoubtedly increase, at least initially.

I don't know about demand, though I assume that with the exception of weed, drug usage would die down with the end of the federal drug war.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

A. Fact.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It would be A, a increase in supply and demand. I think the supply would actually move more, as people would start growing their own weed. Demand would rise slightly, but I don't think non weed smokers would all the sudden decide to become smokers. The increase in demand would mostly come from the people who already smoke. For instance, I don't smoke weed, nor would I if it became legal.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

it depends where you are.

For instance I live in Canada, and decriminalizing weed would not necessarily increase the demand for weed, because it is already so ridiculously easy to get it. Nobody here says, "I smoke weed because its illegal" people dont smoke weed because they dont want to, at least where I'm at.

If anything, A. Probably be an increase in demand due to the increased amount consumed by those who already smoke. the demand part is tricker because little can be assumed about the producer's habits in the market. Will stores sell it? Will they continue to allow street sellers to sell it etc. However, considering the amount of people who smoke (especially here in Canada) I think the smart thing to do would be to increase the supply in order to capitalize on a market that is now legally accessible
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Most likely A but the government can always implement a sin tax in order to curb the increase in demand while simultaneously raising revenue.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

A but I don't think demand would go up ridiculously.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
I think it's got to be A)

most people I know that don't smoke when asked why respond with it's illegal.

This is what stopped me. Tried weed for the first time only recently.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
A but I don't think demand would go up ridiculously.

I agree, but it will be much easier to obtain for those who want to use it excessively (same with gun control, which is really your agenda, isn't it OP?).
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
The Real JW
High School Starter

The Real JW is popular on this boardThe Real JW is popular on this boardThe Real JW is popular on this boardThe Real JW is popular on this board

Reminds me of my micro econ course.. or was it macro

Disliked both.
The Real JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

Immediately demand would go up but then it would probably level out due to the fact that it's no longer an illegal commodity.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I agree, but it will be much easier to obtain for those who want to use it excessively (same with gun control, which is really your agenda, isn't it OP?).

I also think legalization for marijuana would decrease the demand in alcohol too. Which might end up being a good thing.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: