Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
longhornfan1234
Local High School Star

longhornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: CNN article today on the harmful affects of marijuana use

Is there any evidence that civilization as we know it is collapsing because of pot smoking?
longhornfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
Norcaliblunt
Good High School Starter

Norcaliblunt is considered somewhat coolNorcaliblunt is considered somewhat cool

David Frum??? The creator of the term "AXIS OF EVIL". Yeah lets listen to this guy.

Anyway, overuse of anything is bad, it's simple as that.
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
I didnt see any real statistics in that article.. Looked like a popular article.. David Frum is a political writer. Seems like this is timed up with the new laws legalizing it some states.

I saw the stat about kids under 15 not smoking, but that is no brainer Kids that age shouldnt be drinking or smoking cigarettes either.

marijuana does not cause any withdrawal symptoms

I see people talking about MENTAL addiction. I need someone to explain please. Ive studied what drugs like cigarettes and cocaine and others do to people. They take over your central nervous system and addict you to the drugs chemically.

I have never seen or heard of anyone ADDICTED to marijuana. I have seen potheads or whatever. But they dont suffer any real effects (except grumpiness) when they quit.
you've never heard of a mental addiction?...sex addition?...video games...etc?

If someone smokes long enough it becomes what they think about all day every day...it consumes their mind...they wake up wanting pot, that is what they think of when they get up in the morning..."where is my bowl"
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #19
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
you've never heard of a mental addiction?...sex addition?...video games...etc?

If someone smokes long enough it becomes what they think about all day every day...it consumes their mind...they wake up wanting pot, that is what they think of when they get up in the morning..."where is my bowl"

But that's why studies like this are baseless. I said in my initial post that marijuana is no more addictive than anything else to a person prone to mental addictions. Whether it be food, games, living life on the edge, whatever it may be, but grouping MJ into the same category as the likes of alcohol, cigs, or heavy drugs is ridiculous, unless you want to group every aspect of life into the same category, because, once again, MJ is no more addictive than anything else a person prone to addiction would be attached to.

For me, smoking MJ made me see that i didn't want to smoke everyday, because i enjoy it more on an occasional basis. And i've gone a week where i smoked throughout the day everyday, and i didn't suffer any withdraw or addiction to it.

Some will get picky about what an addiction is, but that is just searching for an argument. If you do that i'll counter with we're all addicted to life, so should we put an end to that because we like it too much and have a need for continuing it every day?
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #20
red1
Dinosaurs

red1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
But that's why studies like this are baseless. I said in my initial post that marijuana is no more addictive than anything else to a person prone to mental addictions. Whether it be food, games, living life on the edge, whatever it may be, but grouping MJ into the same category as the likes of alcohol, cigs, or heavy drugs is ridiculous, unless you want to group every aspect of life into the same category, because, once again, MJ is no more addictive than anything else a person prone to addiction would be attached to.
true
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

For me, smoking MJ made me see that i didn't want to smoke everyday, because i enjoy it more on an occasional basis. And i've gone a week where i smoked throughout the day everyday, and i didn't suffer any withdraw or addiction to it.

Some will get picky about what an addiction is, but that is just searching for an argument. If you do that i'll counter with we're all addicted to life, so should we put an end to that because we like it too much and have a need for continuing it every day?
the article (and myself) made it clear that no one should go to jail over pot...it SHOULD be legal...no one compared it to alcohol or cigs either

it's just trying to show you that pot is harmful and then describe to you how it is harmful

many smokers deny that it is harmful...
Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #22
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

I agree. I cant quantify MENTAL addiction in any real way. Im sure it can become a habit. But that is different than quitting and going through serious withdrawal.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The only reason for all the red tape on marijuana today is because of cotton replacing hemp way back, and so those in the cotton industry can maximize their profit, they lobbied to have marijuana be illegal and deemed dangerous and harmful. Marijuana is illegal today (for the most part) due to lies. Not concern for people's safety or health precautions; lies and greed, as simple as that.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #24
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

and food addictions, video game addictions, etc are harmful too, yes...you need food to live though so that one is a little different, but other addicitons could be comparable perhaps

no point though really in pointing at other things as well..."look that is bad too!"
Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #25
tpols
5-time NBA All-Star

tpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this board

Depends who you surround yourself with.. If you live in a house where all you and your buddies do is roll blunts everyday and it becomes the only thing you do its bad. If you start having the urge to hit the bong instead of going to class or work or gym or whatever it's bad. Basically if you start to put it before the important things it will fvck you up. It's a way to escape your problems.. Oh shit I have an assignment due tommorow. Fvck it let's light one up. It's like playing video games instead of doing hw when you were a little kid and wondering why you never did good in school and have no motivation.. Just bad habits. You have to use it as a reward after the work is done.

It's like anything though.. Everyone has their vices that they put BEFORE priorities. Marijuana just one on an long list.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #26
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
Depends who you surround yourself with.. If you live in a house where all you and your buddies do is roll blunts everyday and it becomes the only thing you do its bad. If you start having the urge to hit the bong instead of going to class or work or gym or whatever it's bad. Basically if you start to put it before the important things it will fvck you up. It's a way to escape your problems.. Oh shit I have an assignment due tommorow. Fvck it let's light one up. It's like playing video games instead of doing hw when you were a little kid and wondering why you never did good in school and have no motivation.. Just bad habits. You have to use it as a reward after the work is done.

It's like anything though.. Everyone has their vices that they put BEFORE priorities. Marijuana just one on an long list.
the article lists other harmful affects though...not just it being a mental vice that gets in the way

causes psychological disorders...bad for lungs...bad for brain development...etc
Old 01-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #27
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

tmacattack33 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
I don't know any Marijuana smokers who are hooked on weed. Even if they smoke everyday, its due to the conscious decision that they want to smoke, as opposed to going through a withdraw the way alcohol or cigarettes.

There are people who are prone to be addicted to anything, no matter what it is.

I cannot agree that it is harmful in any way to a person who isn't prone to be be harmed by any legal substance alike. It sucks that the fragile folk can be used to creat a false sense of danger for things a normal person wouldn't be harmed by.

And how do you know that that is the truth?
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #28
tpols
5-time NBA All-Star

tpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
the article lists other harmful affects though...not just it being a mental vice that gets in the way

causes psychological disorders...bad for lungs...bad for brain development...etc
Cannabis has also been shown to have tumor decreasing effects among other things. It's a pain killer and a appetite stimulator.

Pot like everything has its pros and cons.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #29
Duderonomy
Nothing but NETS

Duderonomy has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
I saw the stat about kids under 15 not smoking, but that is no brainer Kids that age shouldnt be drinking or smoking cigarettes either.

That's how kids are tho. It's cool for a 15 y.o. to act like they're 18. That's a part of peer pressure.
Duderonomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #30
nathanjizzle
OG

nathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

i was in the marijuana business when i was really young, dealer and grower, but i never smoked. from my experience i can say pot heads are really degenerates of society.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: