Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Michael_Wilbon
Great young streetballer

Michael_Wilbon has not been impressing people
Default Can the Knicks pay J.R. Smith w/e they want...

in the offseason to retain him? I don't really know how bird rights work or anything. If they are willing to pay the luxury tax then are they able to compete with some other teams that may be willing to offer him a large contract after this season?
Michael_Wilbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Derka
Go C's!

Derka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Can the Knicks pay J.R. Smith w/e they want...

He has an option for next season, right?

I think the Knicks have his Bird rights because they signed him as a free agent after his China stint, so they can go as high as they wnt to sign him if they don't mind upping their tax bill for a bench guy.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Michael_Wilbon
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka
He has an option for next season, right?

I think the Knicks have his Bird rights because they signed him as a free agent after his China stint, so they can go as high as they wnt to sign him if they don't mind upping their tax bill for a bench guy.

I'm not positive, but I think he may have an option for next season. But he could decide not to take the option if he knows more money can be made elsewhere.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
bagelred
Welcome Home, LBJ

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If I'm right....and I usually am....

The Knicks CANNOT pay JR Smith anything they want. JR Smith has been a Knick for 2 years. That means Knicks have his "Early Bird" rights.

Early Bird rights means Knicks can pay JR anything up to the average NBA salary. So essentially, the same amount of money as the MLE. Actually, it's higher of 175% of salary or average salary....for JR, that means average salary.

If JR wants to remain a Knick, he'll have to accept MLE type money. Otherwise, a team with sufficient cap space could "steal" JR from the Knicks with a big offer.

Will MLE money be enough for JR? Yes, I think it will be....he loves playing for Knicks and for Woodson, and I think he'll stay.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Michael_Wilbon
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
If I'm right....and I usually am....

The Knicks CANNOT pay JR Smith anything they want. JR Smith has been a Knick for 2 years. That means Knicks have his "Early Bird" rights.

Early Bird rights means Knicks can pay JR anything up to the average NBA salary. So essentially, the same amount of money as the MLE. Actually, it's higher of 175% of salary or average salary....for JR, that means average salary.

If JR wants to remain a Knick, he'll have to accept MLE type money. Otherwise, a team with sufficient cap space could "steal" JR from the Knicks with a big offer.

Will MLE money be enough for JR? Yes, I think it will be....he loves playing for Knicks and for Woodson, and I think he'll stay.

Thank you very much for the details! You're the GOAT Knicks poster on ISH
Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

He can get 5.5 mil. I don't think another team would offer more than 7. 8 would be a big reach.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: