Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Permodius
I airball my layups

Permodius has an OK reputation so far
Default How do I stop my knee from buckling during a jumpshot?

It's so odd, but I have this irresistible habit where I buckle my right knee when I bend my legs for my jumpshot. Also, my legs tend to shake when I rise up from a jumpshot. It's hard for me to fix because it isn't something I can see myself doing but I know it happens because people always tell me I do it. I have been working on my jumper diligently and the one aspect I have not been able to improve or correct has been my base. I believe that this first started when I badly sprained my ankle about 3 years ago and returned to the gym after 3 weeks off. I wasn't even ready to return but I just couldn't stay away from basketball, and every time I would use my legs to shoot, even without jumping, it would hurt my right ankle, so I had to shoot differently, and this badly affected my jump shot, both the base and the upper body mechanics that I have finally managed to correct. Any tips for any drills I could do or anything I could do to make sure that my legs don't do anything weird on my jumpshot? I have also tried many different bases, such as an open stance, a slightly turned stance, a squared stance, feet shoulder-width apart, feet farther apart/closer apart, etc.
Permodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation
Default Re: How do I stop my knee from buckling during a jumpshot?

Foot position is mostly relative, but usually the most comfortable one is with your shooting side is turned to the basket ever so slightly.

Form shooting close to the basket, somewhere maybe around the edge of the circle, starting with the knees bent is one thing that's helped me keep the lower body mechanics consistent over the years. Then, you try to shoot free throws the same way. It's all about muscle memory really, and mental awareness while you drill yourself. Put your whole mind into each shot. Start from a small number then slowly build up. If you try to shoot too much too soon, your mind will focus on the number you're aiming for and not the mechanics that you want to ingrain.

Btw, I just find it awesome that you're this determined to learn/play ball even if it's somewhat late. Keep it up, man.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

sounds like you have some muscle imbalances, exactly what I cannot say but those are tell tale signs that you need to strengthen your body (im not talking getting jacked, I'm saying strengthening your weak/support muscles)

In terms of stance, it is simple. Head over shoulders over hips over feet. 10 toes to the hole. Forget feet position for a second. Before feet position comes balance. Without balance you are doomed to have an inconsistent shot. Chances are this is your problem (probably another reason why your legs feel weak under your shot).

Do you do any core work? Try doing a core circuit 2 or 3 times a week for three weeks and see if this problem persists. If it does you probably have deeper issues that need resolving.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Permodius
I airball my layups

Permodius has an OK reputation so far

Thank you guys. As always I appreciate your help and will take all of your advice to heart. And thank you NotYetGreat for always replying to my topics and following my development.
Permodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
sounds like you have some muscle imbalances, exactly what I cannot say but those are tell tale signs that you need to strengthen your body (im not talking getting jacked, I'm saying strengthening your weak/support muscles)

In terms of stance, it is simple. Head over shoulders over hips over feet. 10 toes to the hole. Forget feet position for a second. Before feet position comes balance. Without balance you are doomed to have an inconsistent shot. Chances are this is your problem (probably another reason why your legs feel weak under your shot).

Do you do any core work? Try doing a core circuit 2 or 3 times a week for three weeks and see if this problem persists. If it does you probably have deeper issues that need resolving.
Good call, the leg buckling and shaking seemed to hint at something that may go beyond just having a shooting form issue. From the outside looking in, it sounds like a physical problem. I'd be curious to see what that actually looks like during a jump shot attempt.

In my head, I'm picturing one foot pointed at a much sharper angle than the other, thus creating a natural bend in one leg, and a more bowed bend in the other.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 01-09-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
inclinerator
Future NBA G.O.A.T

inclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

heavy squatting
inclinerator is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: