Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #1651
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Default Re: MLB Thread 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
It rewards the division winners, sure, but take last year. Atlanta finished 6 games better than the Cards. That's...a pretty significant differential in records over 162 game season to boil down to a one game playoff. To me it's GOT to hinge on more than one game.

The way I see it, there's 9 innings, so there's ample opportunity for the better team to win. I'm assuming the better of the two wild-card teams is rewarded with the home game, correct? I see where you're coming from, but with as many innings, dozens of at bats, potentially hundreds of pitches and swings... the better team is likely the winner. It's not like a single football/NFL game where just about anything could possibly happen such as the league's worst team beats the league's best team; baseball is a much more controlled sport - easily the most controlled of all professional sports that are team oriented.

Last edited by Hoodlum Science : 09-23-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Hoodlum Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #1652
irondarts

Pirates officially clinched a playoff spot tonight.
irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #1653
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
The way I see it, there's 9 innings, so there's ample opportunity for the better team to win. I'm assuming the better of the two wild-card teams is rewarded with the home game, correct? I see where you're coming from, but with as many innings, dozens of at bats, potentially hundreds of pitches and swings... the better team is likely the winner. It's not like a single football/NFL game where just about anything could possibly happen such as the league's worst team beats the league's best team; baseball is a much more controlled sport - easily the most controlled of all professional sports that are team oriented.
Not to be rude, but you couldn't be more wrong, really.

In every sport, the better team is "likely" the winner, but anything can happen in a single game. This "controlled" stuff is pure nonsense. A blown call, a costly error, or just a bad night at the dish by one team. Since a pitcher has so much impact on a game, the worse team could win a good chunk of the time if their pitcher is just better and slams the door.

As for this argument about crappy teams never beating the good ones, that's absurd. For example, the worst team in the National League, the Miami Marlins, are 6-13 against the best team in the league, the Atlanta Braves. So while that is not a wonderful winning percentage by any means, it does mean that they can beat them any given night. Remember all it takes is one game; they are definitely the weaker team, but that doesn't mean that they are an automatic W.

And that's worst vs. best. In the play-in game now we're talking about two teams much more evenly matched, where it's basically a coin flip. The Orioles aren't gonna make the playoffs, they're 9-7 against division winners Boston. They're 0-3 against the .500 Arizona Diamondbacks. Conversely, they're 5-2 against the Oakland A's. You go down the list of every team in the bigs and they lose games to teams they are better than. All the time.

You shouldn't have to play 162 games just to have your playoff fate decided by one game. It's preposterous IMO. I can't stand it and never will be able to stand it.

Quote:
yea it is not perfect but i think it is a balanced approach. Traditionalist should be happy that it rewards winning the division/HFA while allowing more teams to compete. I'm not sure what they could realistically do to fix the issue you are bringing it up. A 3 game series would be a nightmare logistically, is game 1 played at the lower seed with one travel day for games 2 and 3 at the higher seed. Also how long those this 3 game series delay the start of the divisional series. Not sure if the MLB wants WS games being scheduled into early Now consistently.
It would take 4 extra days, max. There is nothing wrong with playing games on three straight nights even with travel; these guys do it all season long. So say one rest day after a 3-game set and you're into the playoffs. Division leaders would still have the advantage of being rested, not having played the last 3 of 4 nights, and the WC team would also be forced to start their ace on short rest if they wanted him to go in game 1. No reason why that's not feasible, and now you don't have a full season hanging in the balance of one game.

To me, there's no argument against this really; you can maintain div leaders having an advantage without putting a full season in the hands of one game.

Last edited by johndeeregreen : 09-23-2013 at 11:47 PM.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #1654
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

More on your notion there Josh, just to underscore how ridiculous it is, that bad teams have less chance of winning in baseball.

In 2012, the MLB-worst Houston Astros had a .340 winning percentage.
In 2012, the NFL-worst Jags and Chiefs had a .125 winning percentage.
In 2012, the NBA-worst Magic had a .244 winning percentage.

You see where I'm going with this?
Old 09-24-2013, 02:05 AM   #1655
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
The Royals walk off in the 10th
the A's clinched the West

woooooo
back to back western champs...maybe not as exciting as last season but it is just as sweet.

We put up 10 runs again tonight. Only a game back from Boston for best record in the AL.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #1656
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
We put up 10 runs again tonight. Only a game back from Boston for best record in the AL.

the offense has been amazing lately
leads 2nd half in HRs
Coco/Moss leading the majors in HR's since late Aug
Donaldson OPSing at 1200 in Sept
Cespedes finally mashing
heck Chris Young, Seth Smith and Josh Reddick's bats look much better than a few months back

What surprises me the most is Barton's resurgence. he went from DFA twice(i think), people wanting to send him to AA, to most likely being on the post season roster if not starting in the post season.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #1657
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Jason mother****ing Giambi!
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #1658
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker
Jason mother****ing Giambi!

is that his 3rd walk off HR of the season???
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #1659
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
Really, and yes I'm going to be an ass, but that's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen posted on here and that includes all the nonsense that's posted in the basketball forum on a daily basis. Baseball is the least predictable sport and that's even more magnified when you boil it down to a "winner take all" one game scenario.
KG215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #1660
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
More on your notion there Josh, just to underscore how ridiculous it is, that bad teams have less chance of winning in baseball.

In 2012, the MLB-worst Houston Astros had a .340 winning percentage.
In 2012, the NFL-worst Jags and Chiefs had a .125 winning percentage.
In 2012, the NBA-worst Magic had a .244 winning percentage.

You see where I'm going with this?

I guess the point I was making wasn't how MLB compares to the NFL and NBA by winning/losing percentages (even though I think I may have make a reference?) - I was just trying to illustrate baseball is a much more controlled sport, especially in terms of officiating (I think someone mentioned a blown call potentially fucking everything up, but shit, I feel better about an MLB game being called correctly compared to an NFL and especially NBA one).

There's hundreds of intangibles and yes obviously a series greatly solidifies the likelihood the better team wins - but I think from a fan's perspective a one game match-up / playoff is very appealing, and that's a good thing for a professional sport that's struggling to keep interest levels very high like they once used to be.

The implementation of another wild-card team in the post season generates additional interest by itself, with or without being a series. I can obviously see the negative impact it puts on the "better" team who's having to risk their entire season on a single game playing against the second wild-card team, but to that second wild-card team, it's another heartbeat on what was just about to be a flat-line conclusion to a gruesome 162 game season. So there's positives and negatives, but I believe ultimately there's more positive impact if the overall consensus is a thumbs up from fans.
Hoodlum Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #1661
clipse026
Local High School Star

Boy this Braves team is awful sensitive about their HRs. Another incident today with Milwaukee. If you don't want someone to watch a homerun, don't give up a ****ing homerun. The unwritten rule stuff is ridiculous.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #1662
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
I guess the point I was making wasn't how MLB compares to the NFL and NBA by winning/losing percentages (even though I think I may have make a reference?) - I was just trying to illustrate baseball is a much more controlled sport, especially in terms of officiating (I think someone mentioned a blown call potentially fucking everything up, but shit, I feel better about an MLB game being called correctly compared to an NFL and especially NBA one).
Funny you should mention that, last year's NL WC play-in game was impacted greatly by a highly controversial call.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #1663
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipse026
Boy this Braves team is awful sensitive about their HRs. Another incident today with Milwaukee. If you don't want someone to watch a homerun, don't give up a ****ing homerun. The unwritten rule stuff is ridiculous.
The Fernandez one I didn't mind, nor the Harper one, but this one was just Gomez being a punk.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:24 PM   #1664
clipse026
Local High School Star

Quote:
The Fernandez one I didn't mind, nor the Harper one, but this one was just Gomez being a punk.
To be fair I only saw the video on yahoo. It looked to me that he was angry but McCann was talking to him at home and then Freeman got in his face as he went around the bases. He was definitely being a little ridiculous but from what I could see in the video they definitely didn't help the situation and I think the plate blocking is pretty pathetic. I think it's silly that McCann and Reed Johnson who landed an actual punch weren't ejected.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #1665
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipse026
To be fair I only saw the video on yahoo. It looked to me that he was angry but McCann was talking to him at home and then Freeman got in his face as he went around the bases. He was definitely being a little ridiculous but from what I could see in the video they definitely didn't help the situation and I think the plate blocking is pretty pathetic. I think it's silly that McCann and Reed Johnson who landed an actual punch weren't ejected.
I agree with the last part, they both should have been ejected as well.

He was getting yapped at by the Braves, yeah, but it looked like he basically admired his bomb (no big deal) and then started yapping. You want to admire your shot, have at er, but when you start jawing in addition to that? You bet some guys are gonna take exception.

I think part of it has gotta be Braves' frustration with themselves. They've been playing pretty shitty baseball all month, and I think they let that factor in.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: